Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains?

As most of us know, the s2k honda oil filter made by Toyo Roki, can be used on our d and B series honda engines to increase oil pressure. How much pressure increased im not sure. When I first heard this I thought the s2k filter would be very tiny but turns out its very large. I recently aquired a spoon Hamp oil filter and wondered why its so small? Since the s2k oil filter is almost 2 times the size of the Hamp, one of these has to increase oil pressure. What do you all think?

Old 11-20-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (crexer)

Exactly how much additional oil pressure are we talking here? Seems to me that raisign the pressure significantly could cause added wear on teh oil pump. Please correct me if I am wrong though.....
Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Send me one of each, and I will do a oil psi comparison.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (xEnderx)

I would agrea with you on that, oil pumps arent designed for great amounts of pressure, there made for lower numbers and dont wear out as quickly as a high pressure pump. So by doing whatever your only adding more stress to the pump causing too high of a pressure.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (nocturnaldragon)

ive always wanted to know if this was true... my friends always told me to us a s2000 filter cuz it supposedly raises oil pressure and vtec kicks in harder?.. lol somehow i doubt that but u might prove me wrong but i dont see how it would increase oil pressure
Old 11-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (fizeks)

INstall oil pressure gauge, then choose one filter. See pressure and write down the info. Then at next oil change swap out for the other.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (teknoracing)

People don't seem to understand exactly how a oiling system works

It comes down to the bigger the filter the more volume it can hold and move.

pressure is created from a restriction.

Therefore to gain pressure you reduce flow volume.

these small filters do very little as rpm increases and vtec kicks in
and just rob hp.

there is no point in too much pressure.

Oil pumps are directly propertional to rpm, meaning the more you rev the engine the more oil they move.

Once they get to a certain pressure, they are governed by the pressure relief valve/spring and that is what maintains the oil pressure and prevents the oil filter from exploding with too high an oil pressure.

If I had a choice I would put the biggest filter possible.

When racing there are times where oil pressure may drop suddenly, this is where havng a filter with more volume helps minimize the system from going dry and minimizes these pressure spikes.

Modified by superdupervtec at 2:33 PM 11/20/2005

Modified by superdupervtec at 6:55 PM 11/20/2005
Old 11-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (superdupervtec)

yay

oil pressure is governed by relif valve.
the size of the filre has nothing to with it.

i run an oversized filter, havent ever had a pressure gugage on it.

guess what if you DO happen to see a drop in pressure, i would probably just shim the oil pump to get it back
personally id rather have the increaed filter size because i never change my oil haha
Old 11-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (johnzm)

so the relief valves/springs are probably the same for both these filters, since the 2 are made by toyo roki? I guess the s2k would be better for more filtration if the springs are the same... I'll let you guys know psi comparisons once I hook up a oil pressure gauge.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As most of us know, the s2k honda oil filter made by Toyo Roki, can be used on our d and B series honda engines to increase oil pressure. How much pressure increased im not sure. When I first heard this I thought the s2k filter would be very tiny but turns out its very large. I recently aquired a spoon Hamp oil filter and wondered why its so small? Since the s2k oil filter is almost 2 times the size of the Hamp, one of these has to increase oil pressure. What do you all think?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone keeps calling this the S2K filter, it's not. Yes they now use it on the S2K, but, this was the same damn filter they used on everycar up until about a year ago.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:53 PM
You_Get_Vapors

The S2K filter is the old filter for all B series engines. The smaller filter is the new filter for K series engines which also work on the old B series engines.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (You_Get_Vapors)

THAT HAMP FILTER ISN'T AS SMALL AS A INSIGHT FILTER I THINK YOU CAN USE THOSE ON B SERIES MOTORS ASWELL
Old 11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Way OT but, what the hell is that in the background? It look like a manequin with no clothes on and dress shoes!!
I maybe nuts, but thats what I see.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:00 AM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (revvin9k)

The bigger filter allows better filtration and LOWER pressure INSIDE THE FILTER thus allowing higher threshold of bypass-valve "activation"

Because, oil pump has a capacity of 30 liters of oil per minute... it means that 30 liters of oil pass thru your engine per 1 minute...

Another words, 0.5 liters/second

Another words... filter takes 0.2-0.3 dcl of oil... it means that in one second, it has to filtrate twice as much oil that it can take...

That's where the bypass valve starts functioning...

On high rpm's, when the oil flow (through the filter) is too low / pressure too high (when filter cannot filtrate enough oil), bypass valve opens and allows unfiltered oil to circulate thru the engine to make sure the engine does not starve for oil...

And like someone said...
smaller filter -&gt; higher pressure -&gt; lower bypass threshold
bigger filter -&gt; lower pressure -&gt; higher bypass threshold

It simply means that if you have bigger filter, you will be able to rev it higher before the bypass valve kicks in and lets unfiltered oil thru the engine...

If you have smaller filter, the bypass valve will open much sooner...

Bigger is better...
Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (KKVTi)

Maybe you should leave the oil filter alone, sense I'm pretty sure that HONDA knows what they are doing more than you..
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

^ As for that comment, which Honda filter are you reqommending/using? I dont plan on using the honda filter made by fram.

Everyone else thanks for your input, I guess i will stick to the larger filter.

OH and the legs in the back ground are just for looks, they were shoe model legs and i thought they would make a nice conversation peice.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i never had any plm yet with my fram oil filter .......
Old 11-21-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: (SkipMic2006)

I've run OE honda filters on all of my motors....never had a single problem. Plus they are FAR cheaper than Mobil or this HAMP thing....whatever it is.

I do recall takign one of those off of my B16B when I got it...my exact words were "Huh....must be some kind of stupid JDM oil filter"....then I threw it in the garbage and put my nice blue OE one on.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (fizeks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fizeks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive always wanted to know if this was true... my friends always told me to us a s2000 filter cuz it supposedly raises oil pressure and vtec kicks in harder?.. lol somehow i doubt that but u might prove me wrong but i dont see how it would increase oil pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

i cant see how an increase in oil pressure would make vtec kick an any harder at all, that makes no since to me... if anybody can prove it please explain...

i stick with wix or napa gold... no complaints
Old 11-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (jaydeum4lyfe)

Lol...yeah, added oil pressure increases cam lift and duration because it forces more oil between the cam and the lifter. DUH.....didn't you know?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (Bcuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bcuz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Everyone keeps calling this the S2K filter, it's not. Yes they now use it on the S2K, but, this was the same damn filter they used on everycar up until about a year ago.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, actually it isn't. The old larger universal Honda filter had different part number(s) and was not made by Toyo Roki.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (revvin9k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by revvin9k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Way OT but, what the hell is that in the background? It look like a manequin with no clothes on and dress shoes!!
I maybe nuts, but thats what I see.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that picture has VTECH?!

but that leg thing kinda looks like a jump rope wrapped up in somehting, or some kind of cord...
Old 11-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xEnderx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've run OE honda filters on all of my motors....never had a single problem. Plus they are FAR cheaper than Mobil or this HAMP thing....whatever it is.

I do recall takign one of those off of my B16B when I got it...my exact words were "Huh....must be some kind of stupid JDM oil filter"....then I threw it in the garbage and put my nice blue OE one on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAMP is OE Honda
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 AM

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (lazybrown187)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazybrown187 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THAT HAMP FILTER ISN'T AS SMALL AS A INSIGHT FILTER I THINK YOU CAN USE THOSE ON B SERIES MOTORS ASWELL </TD></TR></TABLE>WHY THE FUKK ARE YOU YELLING?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:03 AM
You_Get_Vapors

Default Re: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains? (ek_99_SiR)

HAMP=Honda After Market Parts

Quick Reply: S2000 oil filter VS. Spoon Hamp?? Pressure drops/gains?