Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

?'s on rear shocks of hatch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 08:22 PM
egizzle8

Default ?'s on rear shocks of hatch

I got a set of AGX's and Tein S-techs but thats besides the point. The front shocks went on without a problem but the rears were a total pain. Anyone had a problem with the lca bolt that goes throught the lower shock mount? If so, what did you so to get em out. Was thinking torch but didn't wanna wreck my bushing cause this is my daily driver and can't be carless.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem. Alot of my bolts are seized and I cant break them loose. Such as my upper control arms and where the shock bolts to the LCA. You can try spraying alot of WD-40 and let it sit, then spray some more and let it sit, etc. I was unbolting my uppercontrol arm bolts one day and i snapped the head of the bolt off. I ended up getting a grinder and grinding off the nut in the back, then getting an electric saw (forget what its called) and cut between the bushings and pull the upper control arm out then get another upper control arm. You could try and get some GSR LCA's and use those. Hope you figure it out...

_Kevin
Old 10-18-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ?'s on rear shocks of hatch (egizzle6)

you can try pb blaster 20 times better than wd 40 but it probably wont work either... you will have to cut them of with sawzall ar death wheel. the bolts rust in bushings and trash them... you can either get new bushings from honda(they may want to sell you new control arms$$$). or you can get rear shock bushing kit from energy suspension or prothane (i use prothane). from 18-25 bucks and have a machine shop press them in... make sure to use anti-seize compound on the bolts when reinstalling them... good luck
Old 10-18-2003, 09:36 PM
egizzle8

Default Re: ?'s on rear shocks of hatch (cavakilla)

My cuz and I had to sawzaw them and then drill em' out. More then I expected and thought the rear would be the easiet. Surprise, surprise!
Old 10-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ?'s on rear shocks of hatch (egizzle6)

I just gone through this w/ my EG hatch today!! My advice to you is plan everything ahead...meaning...
1. the lca bolts are rusted and froze in w/ the metal sleeve and bushing...no matter how much dw-40, or other rust fighting spray can you use,.. it aint gonna loose the bolt. Basically it frozed...spray dw-40 and torch it up may help but the bolt will eventually break!!
so then...
2. Oder your new parts.. new bolts, ES bushing kit for Rear lower shock/ lca, etc.. but I do not have to got new lca.
3. When you have the replacement parts.....CUT the frozen lca bolts. I use sawzall and it took me a few good hour for both side. How I did it...I saw through the seize metal sleeve, both side of the lca...the shock drop then I took out the shock.
4. Take out the old bushing and metal ring on the lca, clean the hole then replace with ES bushing, sleeve, bolts and so on!!...If you get this far then you pretty much ready to reinstall the shock back on!!

I did this myself with my limited hand tools. It took me awhile and requires all my man power!!.....its a pita, if you dont have the tools...better off let a shop install the suspension and let them worry about rusty bolts.
If you do it yourself, make sure you use lots of anti-seize for the new lca bolts!!