Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car

ok i found a car and when i start it it idles fine but when i hit throttle(2000rpm) and let go the idle goes below 600 to the mark right above the 0rpm, and then it goes up back to normal idle, is this fine, like it doesnt hesitate or stall you know,
tommarow im gonna do a compression test on the car so what should be the compression in psi in each cylinder, like around 160psi or so
is there anything else or any other quick tests i should do on the car before i buy it.

ohh and the guy has a air/fuel gauge and in idle the gauge says lean, instead of stoich but as soon as i hit the throttle it goes to rich, is this normal or what

the car runs, starts, and drives fine and the guy is the original owner
Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (v8killaz)

Disconnect the IAC and see if adjusting the idle set screw fixes the issue. 2 sec to test that anyway.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (ho bag)

ok ill try that, but the idle always settles to normal it just takes a second or two
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (v8killaz)

for the air guage. it does absolutely nuttin. those guages always move from lean to rich and you can never have a good reading. i wouldnt pay any attention to that guage.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (jdmcivicracer89)

yeah thats what i though jdmcivic
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as your A/F Ratio is concerned, running lean in idle is just about a standard these days because of increased emmision control and EPA standards. depending on how you hit the throttle, yes it will go to the rich side because the car is dumping in fuel so you can accelerate. not that those guages are 100% efficient, but i wouldn't worry about the reading, thats not your problem..

160-180PSI is kind of an average compression spec from my experiences, so look for something in that ball park. its a good test to run if your able to, but i still don't see that causing the RPM drop..

so you're saying when you release the throttle, the tach drops to nearly 0RPM, but the car does not hesittate, studder, or feel like the RPM's took a drop? i'll do a little more research tomorrow and see if i can come up with some different option to look at
Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (blue98civic)

like i start it up and it revs at 1400rpm for a sec then drops to 600-700rpm idle which is normal but sometimes when i hit the throttle and let go at neutral when the car is still the rpm goes below 600rpm but then goes back up to idle, is this a major problem, cuz i think this is just a minor problem since the car doent hesitate or anything you know, no check engine light goes off

i dont know if this is should even be stated but when i tuen on the headlight rpm goes slightly higher, im guessing this is normal right
thx for the help
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ?'s about civic si em1 idle and compression plz help fast im buying the car (blue98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blue98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i'll do a little more research tomorrow and see if i can come up with some different option to look at</TD></TR></TABLE>

just do it fast if u can since ill prob buy the car before 6:00pm pacific