Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rusty Quarters

Old 07-30-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rusty Quarters

Just discovered mine. (Thought there wasn't any there.) After reading and searching, I think sometimes people think they got new panels but really got filler judging from the prices. Anybody had any experience with the wheelwell rust lately? My car is immobilized right now so I can't roll out for estimates. I want to fix it right if it's possible. It's not bad yet. Only a pinhole outside but pretty crunchy on the lips inside. I felt like just selling it when I saw it but it was hell to find and one-owner. I've worked my *** off on the susp. so far and would like to keep it.
Info., please
Old 07-31-2003, 02:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rusty Quarters (B and B)

Mine is like that too, but previous owner fixed them...now came back. I heard it's expensive if you want to do it right...I am also looking for people who had this done, so I can find out how much the job cost...I will like my hatch more if it looks better
Old 07-31-2003, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Rusty Quarters (bensonwrx)

Well...

It is indeed hard if not impossible to stop it once it starts...

My suggestion would be to sand it down and see how deep the rust goes... if it penetrates all the way through or even deep enough that you can't sand it off you're pretty much F'd...

You can have a shop weld in a piece but even then their seem may rust out depending on how they weld it in.

You can try using a rust-converting paint like por-15... i've used this with good results so far...

Only it's a little pricey and a BEOTCH to apply properly... but it does work well.. And from what they say it's guaranteed to stop rust permanently... the worse the rust the better the outcome.

I had rust in the front fenders from an accident... i sanded them down GOOD almost all shiny metal and sprayed it with rustoleum or a similar "rust inhibiting" paint.. 1-2 years later it's rusting again... So you may want to try the por-15... I'm probobly going to try it on mine just to see if A. it works and B. how long it'll last.

I recently posted a how-to on how to prevent this from happening...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=571773
Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Rusty Quarters (B and B)

I had the same problem. It is covered indepth in this thread.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=523263

My repair cost me $350 CDN for a metal to metal repair with a 3 yr warranty

Cheers and good luck

Old 07-31-2003, 12:32 PM
bdb

Default Re: Rusty Quarters (DJ Nokturnal)

I had the same problems until I had all the metal around the rear quarter panels replaced and painted for $800 Cdn CASH. Good price and good work. If you decide to do it look for a shop that will do things for no receipt/cash in hand -- it'll save you a bundle.
Old 08-02-2003, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rusty Quarters (bdb)

Thanks for the first-person help. I'm anxious to get estimates and try to figure a hook-up. I've got a sandblaser and have peeled the lips apart to expose the rot. I think I'll knock off what's there for now and bend the lips back after some rust treatment with the converter paint and try to forget it for a few months. I'm selling my old Accord and wanted to use the $$ for a swap. Guess most will go to a body shop.