Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter

I live in an area where it snows and they use salt on the roads. Most 92-95 civics out here develop rust on the rear quarter panels and the fender lip. I brought my car to a well known and trusted body shop to have the rust fixed. They removed as much of the rusted metal that they could and put an epoxy sealer in to fill the holes. It looked great when I got it back but a week later I started noticing some bubbles where they had repaired the rust. I brought it back to them and they said that they would fix it again at no cost to me. I ended up having to bring my car in a total of 5 times because the rust kept coming back a week or so after they said that they had fixed it on 5 different occasions. I went back to the shop and he said that in order to repair it for good that I would have to buy new quarter panels from honda that are about 750 bucks for each side. And I now he doesnt want to work on my car anymore. I wasnt an ******* with him and I was very patient and now I dont think that he will fix my car. I just want to know if there is any other way out there to fix the rust on eg's without buying new quarters from honda.
Any help would be appreciated

RUST
Body shops
Old 06-22-2002, 06:41 PM

Default Re: rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter (hondafrk)

as i understand it rust on the rear 1/4 panel is a bitch because replacing the panel is so hard. How much did the body shop charge you for the repair?
Old 06-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rust is like cancer...it spreads everywhere...

if you dont want to get new quarter panels from Honda or a junkyard ..
all i can think of is cut and weld a new piece of sheet metal where the rust spot is at....also when prepping you might want to sand it down to bare metal and get it sand blasted...might as well just get a new quarterpanel IMO...

good luck
Old 06-22-2002, 09:01 PM

Default Re: rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter (decypha)

wow, you guys are getting screwed. is that 750 per side? damn thats 1500 plus install. Why not just buy the front fenders? Cut the part that is needed for replacement and weld it in? I know fenders are like 40 bucks each, so you would save big.
just a thought
Old 06-22-2002, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter (kane2g)

wow, you guys are getting screwed. is that 750 per side? damn thats 1500 plus install. Why not just buy the front fenders? Cut the part that is needed for replacement and weld it in? I know fenders are like 40 bucks each, so you would save big.
just a thought
I beleive he is talking rear quarter panel, which I beleive he could do the same, he will have to see how extensive is the rust...
Old 06-22-2002, 10:22 PM

Default Re: rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter (POLLO)

they sell in a aerosol can some rust converter stuff at kmart in with the car paint. its supposed to reverse the reaction or somethin but I dont know if it works or not. But for 3 bucks cant hurt to try and then do the epoxy over that
Old 06-23-2002, 08:53 AM

it sounds like that shop was bullshittin you .i work at a shop and the other post are right if you sand blast the rust out and weld in filler plates the rust should not come back,especially not that quick.a good shop can fix that with no problem and theres no need to repace quarters
Old 06-23-2002, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rust repair on eg hatchie rear quarter (dose)

I told the guy at the body shop that some people have just cut out the metal and replaced it with scrap metal that they just bent into place, but I think that he just doesnt want to work on it anymore, He charged me 450 bucks to repair the rust, paint my door mouldings, door handles, side skirts, OEM hatch spoiler to match the rest of the car and my rear hatch and rear bumber that had some scratches on it. Over all I think that it was a hell of a deal because when he repainted the quarters he painted from the door back just to blend. Last winter some dipshit thought my car was a snowbank and backed into me and i had to get the whole entire front end of my car repainted. So I pretty much have a whole new paint job...by the way my car is all white.

Also Im thinkin about having the car painted electron blue pearl, What do you guys think? Should I leave it clean *** white or blue?

[Modified by hondafrk, 3:21 AM 6/24/2002]
Old 06-23-2002, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like that shop was bullshittin you .i work at a shop and the other post are right if you sand blast the rust out and weld in filler plates the rust should not come back,especially not that quick.a good shop can fix that with no problem and theres no need to repace quarters
went to a few shops and asked'em about a month ago... just like dose said... and they will even gaurantee it for 5 years... repair was
$500 for both sides in CANADIAN$$$...
Old 06-23-2002, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

White!

If you want to repaint it go for championship white.