Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rust problems please help me fix them

Old 05-20-2004, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust problems please help me fix them

Way up here in minnesota we have lots of problems with rust. I've also noticed that rust on civic's rear wheel well's is a cronic problem and I own one of these civic's. Now my deal is that I want to put a body kit and new front fenders on but I want to repair my rear ones (now here's the but) but I went to a close honda dealership and asked about new rear fenders and they said I can get them for like 700$ a piece and it's not just the rear fender it's the whole rear quarter panel and all I need is a few spots around the rear wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions for this has anyone ran into this same problem? What should I do?
Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Rust problems please help me fix them (underdog1984)

yeah they were right they arent fenders they are quarters. and they are a bitch to replace and id suggest taking it to a body shop and letting them do it. if u dont wanna go that route u can have a body shop fab some patch panels and bondo it but thats a temporary fix and the bondo will eventually bubble up and crack. so to do it the right way new quarter. cheap way BONDO
Old 05-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust problems please help me fix them (VTECschmetec)

i have the exact same problem, its just two little dots, but, seems how it is rust, its only gonna get worse.. wouldnt a body shop be able to sand it down, get rid of the rust, then repaint the spot that they did???
Old 05-20-2004, 11:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Rust problems please help me fix them (aphex23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aphex23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the exact same problem, its just two little dots, but, seems how it is rust, its only gonna get worse.. wouldnt a body shop be able to sand it down, get rid of the rust, then repaint the spot that they did???</TD></TR></TABLE>

why don't you prep it yourself(sand and primer) and send it to the body shop for it's final stages. You will save some money by doing it
Old 05-20-2004, 11:56 AM

depends on if the rust has eaten a hole in the body (no) or if it is just surface rust (yes). i think by th termingology u will know the difference between the 2
Old 05-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah. its just surface rust, though im not sure if it is coming through from the inside of the rear fender.... if it is, that would more than likely mean it is eating a hole in it though wouldnt it?? But as far as what I can see from the outside... the paint is just starting to bubble up, and its orange-ish, not a hole
Old 05-20-2004, 12:03 PM

yeah that sounds like surface to me. get it fixed (or fix it urself) before it gets alot worse. itll save u $$$$ in the long run
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, ill have to take it to a shop and get a quote.. wouldnt think a small spot like that would cost much... *crosses fingers*
Old 05-20-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Rust problems please help me fix them (underdog1984)

Well, first of all, retail on those rear quarter panels is $455 from Honda, so don't let them try and charge you $700 each. The labor to replace the rear quarter panels are a different story. That will be quite expensive. I went another route and just had mine repaired. Find a good body shop first off. Good shops will be able to cut out the rust on your car and replace it with new sheetmetal. Mine looks as good as new, and costs much less than a full quarter panel replacement. I have pics after the car was done in primer to give you an idea. PM me........