Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rust a common problem for EG hatches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rust a common problem for EG hatches?

Background info:I am looking for a winter daily driver to replace the Mustang for what looks to be a bad winter this year for my first year in Colorado.

My problem: The car I want is probably going to be an EG hatch, or something around an 90-95 Civic. I almost hate to say this... but I need a car I won't be pissed about putting in a ditch. And it certainly won't be the Mustang going in the ditch.

My question: Are EG hatches, and Civic Coupes KNOWN for having rusting problems for high snow areas? It seems all the hatches and coupes I have looked at here in Colorado have had some sort of rusting problems. I have noticed the rear wheel wells, and underbody of the cars are the worst spots.

Is this a common problem, or am I just running into the neglected cars that weren't taken care of?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rust a common problem for EG hatches? (Miracle)

Common prob for these cars on top of the rear wheel wells, anywhere not just in colorado.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust a common problem for EG hatches? (Miracle)

A common problem where you run into water, snow, and roadsalt often. Not a good thing to have, but fixable with a little body work, and preventable with a little rustoleum.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust a common problem for EG hatches? (95sloweg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95sloweg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Common prob for these cars on top of the rear wheel wells, anywhere not just in colorado.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a rust problem, but that's because my car once lived up north. i haven't seen any rust problems on cars from the dirty south.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Miracle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Background info:I am looking for a winter daily driver to replace the Mustang for what looks to be a bad winter this year for my first year in Colorado.

My problem: The car I want is probably going to be an EG hatch, or something around an 90-95 Civic. I almost hate to say this... but I need a car I won't be pissed about putting in a ditch. And it certainly won't be the Mustang going in the ditch.

My question: Are EG hatches, and Civic Coupes KNOWN for having rusting problems for high snow areas? It seems all the hatches and coupes I have looked at here in Colorado have had some sort of rusting problems. I have noticed the rear wheel wells, and underbody of the cars are the worst spots.

Is this a common problem, or am I just running into the neglected cars that weren't taken care of?</TD></TR></TABLE>

and yes, they have the tendency to rust alot on the rear quarter panels.
but if it is a winter dailey driver, then why worry about the rust?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Rust a common problem for EG hatches? (BlackoutVTi)

yea very common.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rust a common problem for EG hatches? (92sihbk)

Good info guys... thanks.

I just need a car that looks decent, and won't give me any problems that I can't personally handle. I learned that a Honda is a very good car, if taken good care of. I can do light body work... but when it comes to replacing panels, I'm just not the one. The few hatches I have looked at, you can tell the panels are rusting pretty badly, even through the paint, because it is bubbling up pretty bad over the radius of the wheelwell, right before the edge, where the panel is rolled.