Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rust + bodywork q's

Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust + bodywork q's

ive got a 93 del sol s that i wanna start doing a bodywork project on, it has lots of rust on the rear quarters on the top of the wheel well as well down on the very bottom of the wheel well and the underside of the doors. im attempting to sand down the deep scratches from where it got keyed as well. and sand the front bumper as the paint is flaking off. i wanna bondo all the imperfections and get sheetmetal welded on in the places i need and use fiberglass elsewhere. im confused as to which products to use and also how i "grind" out the rust on my rear quarter panels. id also like to know which grits of sand paper ill need for a) bondo 2) finishing bondo 3) the front bumper and what i finally sand the car down with before getting it in to get painted...i know its a lot but id like to start in the right direction! thanks !
Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 AM

ttt
Old 04-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

i hope u have a LOT of time on your hands i went into a little bit of my own bodywork backwhen.. fiberglassing takes forever and sucks :-) unless you have someone thats very good at it helping you!! bodywork has to be perfect or you'll notice any imperfection!!!

Side note make sure u find WHERE the rust is coming from.. else a new piece of sheetmetal will just resurface down the road
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uszcrx)

In my opinion the best/easiest way to fix the quarter panel is as follows.

just get new "patch panels" for your rear quarter panels (watch ebay Ex. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...kxs=1). Once you get them trace around the outside of it onto your car. Vise-Grips makes a special tool that makes a lip that will allow the new panel to seat perfectly with the rest of the panel. Just make sure the lip ands where the new panel traced to. Also, I use http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1190 instead of welding. This elimnates warped and if new cards use adhesives on panels instead of welding... well then it must be good enough. Then use a little bondo to even any unperfections.

I'm about to do another car soon, so maybe i'll do a write up
Old 04-26-2006, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wish they made those replacement panels for ek's
Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 PM

ok thank youi for the informative post. it definately puts this job in a much easier perspective than i had originally imagined. question about the ebay auction its hard to tell but are those for sure DEL SOL (
Old 04-26-2006, 12:31 PM

sorry my browser screwed up. continued from last post ------- are those for sure del sol rear quarterpieces? also after u trace the new rear quarter onto your car, how do u cut the excess metal/rust out? or do u just cut underneath the traced area about an inch and then use vise grips
? a little more detail would help thanks
Old 04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

been doin body and paint for about two years now... i'll help u out... about the rust jus make sure to sand all of it off.. usin a 80 sand paper...it should work... if not... use a 40.. if not... grind it off ... then prime it wit itchin primer... and then put a filler primer on top... anywhere u need to put bondo.. make sure u sand down the paint to the metal...if u dont want to go to the metal jus make sure u sand the spot well....... to sand down the bondo go wit an 80 first.... prime it.. guide coat.. sand down wit 220.. if there is still deep scratch.. prime it.. and sand it again.. a primer can is kool.. but i rather prime it wit a spray gun... fiber glass is like bondo.. but more stronger.. so it will try longer to sand off... good luck.. take ur time.. dont rush it... peace...
Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 PM

ok and so for the areas that are scratched or dented jus sand down with 80 then put bondo or do i use itchin primer and filler primer after???
thanks i wanna start sanding right away what will i need one or two sanding blocks and some 80 grit to start ruff sanding down all the imperfections im gonna do the rust last as im gonna take off ny back bumper cus its sagggin where the rust ate away the bolt holes holding it on
shouldi take some pictures of the areas that need major work?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wit the scratches on ur car u should b able to feather it out wit the 80... u dont have to take it to the metal.. use itchin primer only on the rust part and then go over wit the filler primer... and then only on the bondo spots u use only filler primer.. one or two blocks is cool.. let ur friend help u out or sumthin.... make sure u finish the body work good wit the 80.. u dont want to prime it when its still messed up.. then ur jus wastin time and sand paper.... yea take sum pictures.. so u see the before and after....
Old 04-26-2006, 04:52 PM

ok what type of motion do i use to sand before putting bondo down and how do i sand the bondo?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

feather out the paint to put the bondo down... give urself a big area.. u dont want to put the bondo on the clear... criss/cross motion..... sand like an X.... sand one way and which the other way...
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM

what do i use to strip my front bumper? its made of some type of plastic and it has a few cracks and chips in the paint suggesting bad prep previosly how do i avoid this?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buyin a new bumper would be the best way to go... but if u have no money.. then.. jus make sure to feather everythin smooth... but.. a plastic bumper is crazy.. i hate workin wit the bumpers it succs.. but try it.... 220 grid would be fine.... grab sum bulldog.. it makes paint stick to bumpers....
Old 04-28-2006, 02:53 PM

anymore help?