Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Running wire from trunk in EK coupe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running wire from trunk in EK coupe

I was doing an install of my laser jammer this weekend. I needed to run the wire from the rear license plate sensor to the control module under the dash. I didn't have time to play around with the rear pannels to run the wire properly, so right now I've got it ghetto rigged and just run under the floormats.

To run the wire under the side trim panels where the trunk release cable runs, the Helms says I have to remove the upper and lower seat cushions, remove the whole rear side trim panel, the lower front seat belt bracket and the front side trim.

Is this the only way to do it properly? How difficult is it to remove the side trim panels (they seem to be clipped in tight). Does anyone have any tips on how to do this easily without breaking any clips? I don't want to go in there and just start yanking.

Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Running wire from trunk in EK coupe (EX_AutoXer)

not hard at all but it will take at least half an hour
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 AM

Or you could run it underneath the carpet, as this is very easy to do.

-Shane
Old 11-15-2004, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Running wire from trunk in EK coupe (nighttrain33)

i would just slip it under the seat instead of removing them and tuck it under the side panels and under the step and kick panels and then under the rug itll be a lot easier and you wont break any clips
Old 11-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running wire from trunk in EK coupe (jspresso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hellshock2182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not hard at all but it will take at least half an hour
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I don't think it would be hard, but just a PITA. It does look difficult to get the rear side panel out without breaking anything though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jspresso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would just slip it under the seat instead of removing them and tuck it under the side panels and under the step and kick panels and then under the rug itll be a lot easier and you wont break any clips</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had tried doing this, but I had trouble running it from the trunk to the interior without running through the 60/40 seat opening. There is a small hole that I found next to the lower seat cusion, but I just couldn't feed the wire through there. And what do you do when you get to the trunk / gas door release things? I don't want the wire to get caugt up or kinked in there.

What is the best way to pull the panels off? Just tug on them, or is there a particular order that makes them easier to pry off (in case I can't just tuck it under the sides).

Old 11-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Run it under the bracket for the rear seat on the drivers side when the seat is folded down, then tuck it under the side of the bottom of the seat. From there just tuck under the molding as you go.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely run it behind the side panel. the best way to wire is as close to oem as possible. it is very easy to take the panel out. it only looks hard in the manual because it shows all the screws and the clips placement. i've taken the panel out several times in my own and never even broke a clip. it's nice to find all that change too!
Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 AM

Pretty much, this is about as much as you'll have to remove...
Old 11-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running wire from trunk in EK coupe (sleepyEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepyEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definitely run it behind the side panel. the best way to wire is as close to oem as possible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I was hoping to run it along the trunk release cable and zip tie to that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MDJ IKNJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pretty much, this is about as much as you'll have to remove...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

No wiring problems after that

Old 11-15-2004, 11:08 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've stripped my Accord after totalling it and I've taken Civic hatchback side panels out and put them back in a couple times and haven't broken any clips yet ::knocks on wood::. It's not hard, just a little time consuming. Take your time and be patient, it'll come out.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Running wire from trunk in EK coupe (TouringAccord)

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just get in there and start pulling when I get some free time