Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

running rich looking for ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 running rich looking for ideas.

so i have recently done a mini me d15b7 with z6 head. i have the right ecu and have been getting horrible mpg. i went from like 25mpg to 17. the car feels like it boggs at low rpm but i played with the ignition timing and it seems to be a little better. my friend was following me on his crotch rocket last night and said when i got on it there excessive smoke and smelt like i was running rich, which would explain my poor mpg and performance. any ideas on where to start looking would be helpful thanks!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: running rich looking for ideas.

oh also i stupidly didnt tighten the cone on my CAI and it fell off and i crushed a small portion in it but got it straightened out mostly and put it back on. idk if that would cause such a severe problem tho.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it gets better when you mess with the ignition timing, go to the store and buy an inexpensive basic timing light (~$30). Adjust the ignition timing by turning the distributor.

The timing light should have positive and negative leads, and a spark sensor/pickup thing. Put the leads on their corresponding posts on the battery, and put the spark sensor/pickup thing on the wire for cylinder 1 (closest to timing belt).

Jump the service connector under the dash with a wire or paper clip.

Start the engine. The CEL will come on, this is normal.

With the light on, point it down the side of the engine towards the crank pulley. There are two alignment notches on the timing belt covers, and marks on the crank pulley. Adjust yourself so that your line of sight has the two notches aligned with each other, and turn the distributor so that the notch in the middle of the group of 3 on the crank pulley aligns with the 2 timing belt cover notches, whenever the light flashes.

Carefully tighten the bolts to the distributor down while being careful not to turn the distributor. This is easier if the amount you have loosened the bolts before the adjustment is just enough for you to be able to turn the distributor.

Recheck the ignition timing to make sure it is still accurate after tightening the distributor. If it's not, readjust it.

Turn the engine off.

Remove the wire or paperclip from the service connector. The CEL will be gone next time you start the engine.

If that doesn't help, check the condition of the spark plugs, cap, and rotor.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

= When I shoot timing I just let the motor warm up to normal engine temp, then when its at idle shoot the crank pulley and adjust to the center line of the 3 like stated above. Is there a reason y u jump the service connector compared to not doing it?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could this have anything to do with detonation? i dont hear any pinging but the valve train isnt the quietest.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Detonation=Timing over advanced for the most part. noisy valvetrain=need a vave adjustment.Is your ecu chipped?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hondachris1994
...Is there a reason y u jump the service connector compared to not doing it?
Jumping the service connector blocks the ECU from changing the ignition timing, which would interfere with you setting the base ignition timing for the engine.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

= When I shoot timing I just let the motor warm up to normal engine temp, then when its at idle shoot the crank pulley and adjust to the center line of the 3 like stated above. Is there a reason y u jump the service connector compared to not doing it?
You jump the service connector so the ECU doesn't try to adjust itself while you are adjusting the ignition timing. When you turn the distributor with the service connector out, the ECU tries to compensate electronically for the adjustment you made.

Same thing with adjusting idle with the idle adjustment screw. If you don't jump the service connector, the ECU makes the IACV compensate for any adjustment you are making.

You are suppose to jump the service connector so that you are adjusting the ignition timing while the ECU is at its base setting and not adjusting itself. That way, when you are driving the ECU can adjust itself like it's suppose to. I'm pretty sure that the ignition timing doesn't stay at 12º BTDC while you are actually driving, the ECU electronically retards and advances the timing a little bit based on information it is receiving from various sensors, in order to make the engine run as perfect as possible.

When you set ignition timing, you are setting the base ignition timing. If that is off, then when the ECU is adjusting itself while you're driving, it will be harder for it to adjust itself and in some cases the adjustments it needs to make will be too far out of its abilities to adjust.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 03-28-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Thanx for the info I always seen it in the manual but never understood y. I always disconnect the battery(to reset ecu) after I set timing. Is it alright to do it like that also?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

...I always disconnect the battery(to reset ecu) after I set timing. Is it alright to do it like that also?
Sure, though it might be easier just to remove the 7.5A BACKUP fuse for a minute or so.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it was off a tooth. i hear the mini me is known to be a half tooth off and mine seems to be too. how can i tell which way is advanced and retarded?