Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod

Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod (sil80drifter)

Yep, you got the power and ground confused on the Civic plug.
Just like on the RSX plug, when you look down on the connectors (the round ends of the RSX plugs on the back of the airbag facing you, and the square ends facing away from you, i.e the wires facing away from you), the ground (in RSX connectors indicated by a wire with a stripe on it) will be the left one.

I.e. When you take the Civic airbag, and look at it such that the wires face away from you, the left one will be ground ad the right one will be power.

I am explaining it this way so you can understand it without looking at the FSM. I got this info from the FSM, they have a picture of the connector in there. I uploaded it, see below.

The only thing now is that after having connected both RSX connectors to the Civic connector, the SRS light stays on. I do not have the RSX FSM (yet), so perhaps I messed up and the power wires are actually the ones with the stripe.

I doubt it though, and what I think is really happening is that both of the RSX connectors have too high of a resistance, and the Civic SRS ECU is seeing that as a fault.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Btw, the manual says not to mess with SRS wiring at all. So this is all at one's own risk.

sil80
Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. I had the RSX at first on my EK with a similar wire up, however I just cut and spliced the wires instead of depinning.

I ended up switching over to a DC5-R wheel, just because I got it for an amazing price, so I had to redo the wiring
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod (Fresh'86)

I spliced the wires too...
Did you follow the original posts instructions OR

Did you use both connectors on the RSX bag into one connector on the EK harness?

I did that latter part and I am getting the SRS light (comes back after resetting it even). Unless I confused the RSX wires (positive for negative), I don't know how to fix it.

sil80
Old 05-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm. i have no airbag lights on mine and no issues with it either.
proof (and picture whoring)
(ignore the cel...)

i figured out the wiring with a volt meter. i checked to see who had power and who was ground. i then correlated that info with which wires were where on the airbags and matched them up.
i do have one question.
since it was raised the having only one charge wired up may not function; did you attempt to wire in both charges to the single plug??
i will be pulling the wheel out sometime soon. i will try to remember to take some better pictures of the wiring for everyone when i do

edit: fixed my horrid engrish
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Re: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod (confidence)

update?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod (kotetu)

Got done installing mine with no AIRBAG DEPLOYED . No srs ligts... Followed same instruction and worked great. Pics in a bit
Old 09-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just found the simplest, best and safest answer to all of this:

1st gen s2000 steering wheel. The SRS plug is the same as on the EKs/Integras/Preludes from 96-00, its plug and play, and you could wire up the cruise control buttons if you really wanted to, as well.

The best part is of course that it says "H" in the middle and not "A", and that the airbag plug is the same without modification and no SRS light, BUT this time it's actually the right airbag! It's a single stage, single plug airbag!

The EP/RSX airbag WILL NOT function properly (whether you have both or single connectors hooked up), it's a dual stage bag and won't deploy correctly with just one set of wires hooked up. With two wires hooked up, it still won't work, as your SRS light will be on, indicating that your SRS system is not functioning and won't deploy at all, even if it did, it wouldn't know how to deploy the twin detonators. BOTH detonators have to go off to fill the bag, the only thing that differs in light to hard crashes is the timing of their deployment.

I.e.: You use an EP/RSX dual stage airbag = you don't really have one, and you risk more injury that if you left it disconnected. Even if your light is off, as this is only a matter of resistance. The design of the airbag deployment is different. BE SAFE. Do NOT connect the airbag, either leave it disconnected or get an s2k EP1 wheel/airbag.
Btw, the RSX wheel is incompatible with the s2k airbag, as the horn system is different.

sil80

Modified by sil80drifter at 5:32 AM 9/28/2008
Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recently picked up an 08 fit steering wheel, has anyone work with these before. I know the SRS isn't the same as the EK since these are dual stage airbags as well but anyone figure out how to rewire the horn to work?

If your wondering what model fit this came off, its the sport version, all difference is I painted the silver panels to flat black.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod

so basically in a nut shell what you did was completely unplug the high impact side, cut the wires on the low impact side, check + and - and just solder the ek 2 wire plug onto that?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bumppp nice write up
Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so i just finished installing rsx wheel into ek and now when i engage the indicator and make a turn it does not automatically reset i have to manually bring it bakc to the nuetral position. why is this?

Last edited by slickkhan; 04-01-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

need an answer?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like something is wrong with your reel
Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thread is old but I think adding this is important.
I just installed a jdm EP3 wheel , in 99 civic hatch EJ9/EK4 euro spec and it was all plug and play no rewire was required everything worked air bag plugged up and horn works, the car is the same as the US version. anyone else seen this on a us car?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slickkhan
ok so i just finished installing rsx wheel into ek and now when i engage the indicator and make a turn it does not automatically reset i have to manually bring it bakc to the nuetral position. why is this?
That's becaus you dont have the right reel

Originally Posted by rudebwoy
thread is old but I think adding this is important.
I just installed a jdm EP3 wheel , in 99 civic hatch EJ9/EK4 euro spec and it was all plug and play no rewire was required everything worked air bag plugged up and horn works, the car is the same as the US version. anyone else seen this on a us car?
If its just plug and play then why all this trouble...
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the Japanese wheels use a single stage airbag, thus they are plug and play. i made this thread for swapping in the US 2 stage wheels
Old 05-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Trial User

I did this but my horn stopped working on me
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone knows european EP3 airbag is 1 or 2 stage deployment?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

correct me if i am wrong: i have EP3 airbag with 2 wires (1 stage)? so i just plug it in my harness and thats it. A?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
Trial User

hey guys.. im installing a rsx steering wheel on my 00 prelude... is the wiring the same as EKs? meaning i can just follow the write up and have no bag exploding on my face? lol
Old 10-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Trial User

Sry for being noob but, will Civic Type-r Ep3 streering wheel fits perfectly to my Civic Coupe 1998?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea. the Japanese one is a direct bolt on as its only a single stage.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Trial User

long time ago till last post but what is the final answer ? yes or not mod wire for dual to single is that work or not ... i wanna put 8th gen in my ek ... i read all in this post... nobody make the final point ...
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

About to swap my steering wheel in my ej8 with an 05 ep3 steering wheel. Any write ups or info on wiring up the horn?
Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by confidence
ok, first off to cover my ***:
the airbag is an explosive device. be damn careful with it. also, i don't know 100% if this does work or not. i won't know unless i deploy the airbag. so if someone wants to send me another $200 to replace my airbag i won't be doing a test deploy. also, if you do this and hurt yourself in anyway, i'm not to be held accountable - in other words - do at your own risk
now on the tech
the JDM versions of these steering wheels are PnP for our EKs. however the USDM versions use a 4 wire plug and a 2 stage airbag explosive. from what i have found the 2 stages are 2 different explosive charges, one for a high speed impact and one for a low speed impact. by digging around i figured out the one we want to use is the charge with the yellow wires. its base connections are covered by a yellow plastic thing. it can be removed by prying with a small screwdriver here

and here

once the cover is off i suggest you remove the wires from the charge. this gives you room to work and minamise the chance of an accidental discharge. once they are removed they look like this.

go ahead and remove the black cover and the red wires as well. i took mine out and won't be putting them back in either. i will be using the yellow wired charge only.
once out you need to get another civic 2 wire connector to replace the 4 wire on the unit. i got mine from a junkyard car with an already deployed airbag. the conectors are the same for all 96+ civic, passenger and drivers side, as well as several years of Accords.
this pictures shows you which side is the power side and which is ground

i know the pic isn't very good, my camera doesn't have a macro function.
the yel/grn wire is the ground and the solid yel is the power. orient your new civic connector as shown and solder in. once done reinstall the wires into the airbag and replace the yellow cover.

your steering wheel is now ready for installation. once its installed it works just fine as far as i can tell. the SRS light goes on for 6 seconds and then off. the car throws no codes and everything seems fine.
Great write up. Tried this yesterday and it didn't work. SRS light stays on. Back to the drawing board for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rsx or ep civic steering wheel into EK airbag mod