Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

RS*R ExMag question

Old 11-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS*R ExMag question

for some unknown reason, mine makes a irregular, intermittent pinging/sizzling noise while i'm driving after the car's been warmed up for a while. has anybody else with this exhaust have this happening?

i'm not talking about the pinging sound after the car is shut down; this is while i'm driving.

i called RS*R about it and they said it was "normal", but couldn't explain why. i just wanted to see if others have had this occurrence and if they know what the cause might be. it's a bit annoying to me, but if i know why it's happening, it may be more acceptable to me.

thanks.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: RS*R ExMag question (Fogset415)

carbon build up can do it. how old is the RS*R ??? i heard that the RSR tends to rust out/die real quick (within a year or two). also, check bolts and flanges, make sure everything is correctly sealed and bolts are tight. air squeezing through can make some pretty weird noises sometimes.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine does the same. I heard it's because of the black coating on the exhaust. Doesn't really bother me but what does bother me is the exhaust rattling against something under the car and I can't figure out what it is Do you have the same problem?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:15 PM
3rd g3aR vTak

Default Re: RS*R ExMag question (SASIR2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SASIR2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine does the same. I heard it's because of the black coating on the exhaust. Doesn't really bother me but what does bother me is the exhaust rattling against something under the car and I can't figure out what it is Do you have the same problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>The black coating shouldn't have an effect as far as noise. The rattling is probably against something. When I was installing my WS2 , It looked as if it fit good but didn't line up like the old exhaust did. It turned out to be the mid-pipe. I flipped it and everything lined up perfect. Then it was rattling against the LCA. I adjusted the hangers , and everything was perfect!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RS*R ExMag question (omega02379)

thanks for everybody's input so far.

this sound started every since the exhaust was new.

i installed it myself and i'm 99.99999% sure it was done correctly and there are no leaks (the exhaust is very quiet otherwise, as advertised).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SASIR2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine does the same. I heard it's because of the black coating on the exhaust. Doesn't really bother me but what does bother me is the exhaust rattling against something under the car and I can't figure out what it is Do you have the same problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i noticed that the pipe sat closer to the body compared to my old HKS. maybe it's knocking up against a heat shield for you? i don't have this problem....
Old 11-05-2005, 11:42 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fogset415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for some unknown reason, mine makes a irregular, intermittent pinging/sizzling noise while i'm driving after the car's been warmed up for a while. has anybody else with this exhaust have this happening?

i'm not talking about the pinging sound after the car is shut down; this is while i'm driving.

i called RS*R about it and they said it was "normal", but couldn't explain why. i just wanted to see if others have had this occurrence and if they know what the cause might be. it's a bit annoying to me, but if i know why it's happening, it may be more acceptable to me.

thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I experienced the same thing.. I am kind of relief, knowing that I am not the only one....<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SASIR2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine does the same. I heard it's because of the black coating on the exhaust. Doesn't really bother me but what does bother me is the exhaust rattling against something under the car and I can't figure out what it is Do you have the same problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In addition to the sizzling noise, i find my car starts rattling when the car is at idle... the exhaust is very quiet though....anyway I am going to sell it after owning it for half a year...
Old 11-06-2005, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RS*R ExMag question (CALIdelsolSIR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CALIdelsolSIR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carbon build up can do it. how old is the RS*R ??? i heard that the RSR tends to rust out/die real quick (within a year or two). also, check bolts and flanges, make sure everything is correctly sealed and bolts are tight. air squeezing through can make some pretty weird noises sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, my friends rsr rusted after about a year, eventually into a hole.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:25 AM

I have an ex-mag gt2 and had the same problem. I'm not sure about the other ex-mag exhausts, but where the slip fit part is to connect the rear half of the exhaust together, the springs were making a rattling noise at idle and while driving. I put some small lenghts of rubber hose over each spring and the noise went away.