Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

RPM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Tuning

I have a 95 DX with an SI instument cluster, or so I was told when I purchased it. This cluster has a Tach on the lefthand side. Obviously this car was never intended with one so when I turn on the car it doesnt read accurate at all. When the key is turned to the on position the needle immediately jumps to ~1.2 RPM before the motor is even turned over.

Is it possible to tune this tach to be accurate?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: RPM Tuning

the cluster should be a direct swap in, they are still wired for tach, it should work.

so either its a wiring issue or the tach is defective. i dont know too much more about it, other than it should be plug and play
Old 02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sypherz28
I have a 95 DX with an SI instument cluster, or so I was told when I purchased it. This cluster has a Tach on the lefthand side. Obviously this car was never intended with one so when I turn on the car it doesnt read accurate at all. When the key is turned to the on position the needle immediately jumps to ~1.2 RPM before the motor is even turned over.

Is it possible to tune this tach to be accurate?
What you are looking for is called calibration. Try installaing a known working gauge cluster and see if it still gives you that erratic behaviour.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm going to end up doing a write up on this....
The next time I have a cluster that needs cal'd I'll take some pics.

to re-cal the gauges
remove the plastic face from the cluster and reinstall the cluster (so you can touch the needles
speedo - find a very empty and straight road, pace a friends car going a known speed, pull off the speedo needle and push it back on at the correct speed. (parked does not work, most speedos have tension on the retaining pin at 0mph)
RPM - drive around for a while to get the car to operating temperature, pull the needle, let the car idle with the blower fan on high and the headlights on, push the needle back on pointing just under the 1000 RPM line. (make sure that the radiator fan is not on)
temp - at the same time as the RPM, pull and reinstall the temp needle pointing to the middle of the gauge.
fuel - fill up the tank till the gas comes out the filler hose (not till the pump turns off) pull and reinstall the needle to just over the F line.