Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rough shifts cause of a new axle???

Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough shifts cause of a new axle???

ok here it is. the new axle from the swap had a ripped boot. last night i swapped out the axle with a new one. I had to use a C clamp around the old axle, right where it meets the half shaft for leverage. I pryed and it came out. I first tried everything. I used a flathead and tried prying it out of the half shaft at first, but didn't budge. And so i got the new one in, and now today, I took it out, and now all the sudden the gears aren't smoothly shifting. 5th almost grings everytime. And first doesn't go in easy at all.
I was wondering if it was possible that I pryed against the half shaft in some wierd way making it possible for gear oil to leak out of where the shaft goes into the tranny? Causing the rough shifts? I didn't touch the shaft going into the tranny at all, just the other side where it meets the axle. ALSO, I was told that when i put in the new axle, is it supposed to 'click' into place by that little c ring on it.? I didn't hear it snap into place, should I have heard something lock into place? ALSO (#2) WHere the axle goes into the half shaft, the end of the axle, that little lip on the axle, didn't go all the way up into the half shaft, is that normal?

LASTLY, My clutch master cylander was slowly leaking and i haven't replaced that yet. Because also along with the bad shifts, the clutch is now engaging when i barely release the pedal some of the time since today, where normally it engages when my foot comes out more. Maybe it's just that being bad and messing up the clutch in turn messing up the shifts? Sorry about the longness of this damn thing, but I know you guys dont' mind too much and always help me out. Thanks for any intelligent input or ideas!

-Danny

(post whoring this topic sorry) And why is it showing a poll?

Modified by fu*kface95hatch at 2:44 AM 9/11/2003
Old 09-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: rough shifts cause of a new axle??? (fu*kface95hatch)

first off....check to see that you have adequate amount of tranny fluid.

2nd, it sounds like since the clutch master cylinder is leaking, your clutch isn't fully engaging/disengaging....therefore causing your tranny not to shift smooth and grind.

Since the clutch doesn't meet friction point until a little above the floor....more than likely, you're only using about half of the clutch. Replace that....

you won't hear a "snap" when the axle goes in either. But you will be able to look at the gap between the int. shaft and the 1/2 shaft and you'll be able to tell if it's in or not. That shouldn't mess with shifting anyways...only power to the ground.

Do the clutch MC...
Old 09-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rough shifts cause of a new axle??? (Emerika)

thanks, i appreciate it, so we'll see if it's ok by the meet
Old 09-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: rough shifts cause of a new axle??? (fu*kface95hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fu*kface95hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks, i appreciate it, so we'll see if it's ok by the meet </TD></TR></TABLE>

better be good by then

Man, now that I'm awake...I don';t even remember writing what I wrote...lol. I need to stop working 16 hours

But yeah, to be not so "out of it" right now...I would say clutch MC....the clutch isn't fully disengaging the engine from the tranny because the floor is stopping it
Old 09-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rough shifts cause of a new axle??? (Emerika)

today, took it to a friend that's been a tech at a honda dealership for over 10 years, and he drove it and said right away, 'pressure plate.' So anyways i picked up a Type R oem clutch and flywheel for 100 today. I'm hoping me and Jspec95 can install it ourselves. I hope it won't take more than 6 hours