Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rough idle with power drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle with power drain

I've got a 2000 Civic EX with an Si drop, the Si was dropped by the previous owner and God knows what else he's done at this point. Its got a ProTech computer with a new intake manifold and Hyamaie fuel rail (I think thatz how you spell it). But here are my symptoms:

High Idle
Rough Idle
Power drain at idle
Power drain while moving

This happens occasionally, I can go days with no problems, then have a week it will do all of this. The local honda place wont' touch my **** cause its been modified. But the tech on duty that checked my car said it was an electrical issue. Can anyone tell me what I should look for? I know this much as well, the wire coming off the ECU had been spliced i'm guessing for a tach or something or a Apexi controller. PLEASE someone help me with this I love this car and i'm going to do anything I can to bring it back to life...full life anyway. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Rough idle with power drain (DOHC EX)

got any cels, take it to an autoparts store to check the battery, alternator for power drains. as for high a rough idle check, throttle cable, clean tb with some tb cleaner. clean the iavc, fitv. run some high octance chevron gas,if not available then use some injectors cleaner.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Rough idle with power drain (2lua)

The rough idle and drive i noticed a lot when i took my car from south Texas to Ohio, on the trip i dump some 92 oct with a cleaner. I've put in roughly 5 bottles of cleaner. I've changed the plugs and ignition wires as well as the fuel filter, and it made an improvement on the get-up and go, but it didn't fix the occationals i'm still having. Here is another thing you may be able to help with, I got a guy thats a auto tech out at the local prison, friend of my gf's family. took my car over to his house first chance i got, he put some kinda of stethoscope on my injectors while the car was running. apparently 3 of my 4 were "ticking" the same, my first one, the first in the rail was the one that had an off beat tick. if that helps u with a diag. thanks for that first bit of info though i'll check that **** out. what did u mean by "cels", u talking about gel batterys like optima? i've heard'm called cells before is why i'm asking. thanks again.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:05 AM

cel = check engine light.
honda/acura injectors are noisy. to check if your injectors are working you need to use a noid light, but the stethoscope will do. as for the injectors pulsing order i don't think that if all pulsing at the same time though.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Rough idle with power drain (2lua)

Oh ok, well i've got not CEL's. I've taken my car to 2 local dealers as well as an autoparts [advance autoparts], and neither of them can connect to my ECU with their diag tools. But that alternat. and battery check is a good idea. When i read that it, it reminded me about another thing that happens. When my power is lobing like it does or dragging, at night is the only time i notice this next part. but my gauges dim when my i have my drains. i mean they almost flicker, not just tone down, they look like they are having the power sucked outta them as well. I will check on that alterator, thanks for the tip. anything else u can think of. Thanks again for all your help with this man.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 AM
New User

To check your battery and altenator is fairly easy. Take a multimeter and place the leads on the battery, it should read 12.4ish. Then start the car and the voltage should go to 13.4ish, if you rev the engine it should go to about 14.4 and drop back once it drops back down in rpms.
Also while it's idling turn on everything in your vehilce and chech your voltage it should stay around 13.4.

If the voltage doesn't go up to 14.4 then your altentator is bad.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Rough idle with power drain (flashmntbiker)

thanks man, i appreciate ya.