Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rough Idle and A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle and A/C Compressor

On my 00 Civic LX, I cleaned my battery terminals a few weeks ago (and disconnected the battery in the process). Afterwards, when I turned on the car and let it idle with the A/C on with the car at operating temperature, the A/C compressor felt like it was going to stall the engine. The idle got rough and then you could just hear a series of clicks, the compressor trying to come on -- but I think the computer was telling it to stop because the idle was too low (that is just my guess).

As the next day or so went by, it did that less and less, and now it is back to "normal". It still idles a little rough (as always) with the A/C compressor on, but no more clicking on/off rapidly. Does that sound like an IAC valve issue or does anyone know of other sensors, idle speed, etc. that should be checked?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rough Idle and A/C Compressor (msdawkins)

sounds like a loose battery terminal and or a bad ground.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or check on your ac compressor..it sounds like it is seizing up.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Rough Idle and A/C Compressor (crazyguy)

Is there anything I can do to help the compressor from seizing up completely? Or do I just have to let it run its course and eventually buy a new one?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msdawkins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there anything I can do to help the compressor from seizing up completely? Or do I just have to let it run its course and eventually buy a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you want to save the a/c system, and keep all of the compressor shavings out of it, get the compressor replaced soon by a professional, and that will be your best route in keeping the a/c.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well it's probably not your AC compressor. When you disconnect your battery, your ECU has to relearn fuel curve, idle strategy, etc. It's abnormal that it would make the car idle that rough, however.

Your idle may be in need of adjustment. Here:

Turn on the car. Unplug the IAC. Adjust the idle screw on the throttle body till the car idles at around 600-650RPM. Plug the IAC back in. Turn off the car. Turn on the car. It should idle better. If not, then repeat the process and set the idle a tiny bit higher. A little goes a long way.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rough Idle and A/C Compressor (Danronian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by msdawkins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there anything I can do to help the compressor from seizing up completely? Or do I just have to let it run its course and eventually buy a new one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Danronian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you want to save the a/c system, and keep all of the compressor shavings out of it, get the compressor replaced soon by a professional, and that will be your best route in keeping the a/c.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with Danronian, taking preventive maintenance is the best bet. oh and to the op, the computer doesn't control the a/c nor the compressor.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clicks further confirms an a/c problem.

The compressor will click on and off if the "freon" pressure is too high or too low to prevent any damage to the a/c system. If you continually run the a/c after it clicks, it probably needs some attention and repair in some way at least.

I would take off the a/c belt, and spin the compressor by hand. Chances are, it won't spin nicely. In that case, take it to get replaced, or just don't use the A/c.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Danronian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Danronian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The clicks further confirms an a/c problem.

The compressor will click on and off if the "freon" pressure is too high or too low to prevent any damage to the a/c system. If you continually run the a/c after it clicks, it probably needs some attention and repair in some way at least.

I would take off the a/c belt, and spin the compressor by hand. Chances are, it won't spin nicely. In that case, take it to get replaced, or just don't use the A/c.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It also turns off if the idle is too low so it doesn't kill the car. If the ECU needs to relearn idle and the idle setting is too low....this can happen.