Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rough cold start question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rough cold start question

so here's the skinny...

93 civic: b16a swap.

when i start my car in the morning the idle fluctuates till it warms up a little bit (not even to normal operating temperatures)

the rev's drop real low if i touch the gas pedal at all and it will stall if i am reversing and go to shift into first. the battery light also turns on for a couple minutes but shuts off after i drive around a little bit.

no cel's

any ideas as to what is going on?

my buddy andy had a little captain in him. lol figured no one ever looks at threads with out pics
Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rough cold start question (dividedas1)

My probe Gt used to do the same **** and i hated it! it would idle at 200rpms and if i touched the gas it would stall. if i start it back up and reved the hell out of it it would seem like its getting bad miss fires and if i let it idle for about 5 minutes out of no where it would jump to 900rpm and run good. Mine turned out to be the crankshaft postion sensor. not to sure on a honda though.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Re: rough cold start question (TravisCadello)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TravisCadello &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My probe Gt used to do the same **** and i hated it! it would idle at 200rpms and if i touched the gas it would stall. if i start it back up and reved the hell out of it it would seem like its getting bad miss fires and if i let it idle for about 5 minutes out of no where it would jump to 900rpm and run good. Mine turned out to be the crankshaft postion sensor. not to sure on a honda though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

doesn't seem to be misfiring, or at least i do not notice any misfiring.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just low idle? check your IACV or bleed your coolant system. sometimes air pockets get stuck in your IACV and cause bad idles. my friends 2000 ex idled bad till we bled the coolant system.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^ x2. Check the timing as well
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rough cold start question (luispizarro25)

Since it's getting cool out, wouldn't hurt checking the battery. Especially if it's doing this on a cold start in the morning.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TravisCadello &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just low idle? check your IACV or bleed your coolant system. sometimes air pockets get stuck in your IACV and cause bad idles. my friends 2000 ex idled bad till we bled the coolant system. </TD></TR></TABLE>

only for the first 2 minutes of being started is the idle low...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by luispizarro25 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^ x2. Check the timing as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was thinking maaaaybe the timing too but since the car runs fine all the time except for the first 2 minutes of being starting in the morning i dont see how that would make sense..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by macson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since it's getting cool out, wouldn't hurt checking the battery. Especially if it's doing this on a cold start in the morning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i will do that today after work. i was thinking maybe it could be that because of the battery light, that comes on only when its trying to die out.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
my buddy andy had a little captain in him. lol figured no one ever looks at threads with out pics </TD></TR></TABLE>

good call