Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rotor screws are stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor screws are stuck

welp,

just like everything else on my 99 Civic Hatch, the two screws to take off the rotors are "stuck" in place. Anyone have any sujestions as how to get the screws to turn? I've tryed brake fluid and even tryed to use a screw gun to get them to brake loose.. Noda.. I'm all most thinking about taking it in and having it done so if they round off the screw head it's their problem, but damn if I have to let someone do something so simple as install new pads and rotors.

Thanks!!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (wootcivic)

I use an impact screwdriver
Old 03-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (civic97b18csi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic97b18csi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use an impact screwdriver </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-20-2004, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (civic97b18csi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic97b18csi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use an impact screwdriver </TD></TR></TABLE> werd.

and just in case you decide to get ambitious and change out some brake lines somewhere down the line allow me to say flare nut wrench
Old 03-20-2004, 02:58 PM

Dammit: I write speech and 3 peeps reply while I'm typing.

I should yell at you to search, Mr. Woot. It's been covered more than once b/f.

You have 2 options:

1) Drill them out and say goodbye or replace them if you feel as though a little piece of your life is gone. You don't need them other than to keep the rotor on when you change a tire.

2) Impact driver. It's that neato thing that has a receptacle on one end for screw driver bits or sockets. Mine accepts 1/2" sockets or an adaper for the screw driver bits. The other end you smack with a hammer and it turns the screw. This keeps the bit in the screw head while turning it.

With the impact driver, it should take a coupla' whacks and out they'll come.

Buy a good one; they're not expensive and I guarantee you'll find more uses for it. Sears has them.

Good Luck and be sure to scream out some sort of Kung Fu style noise when you whack it.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (Debaser)

use a #3 phillips head screw driver. and a wrench. the #3 should have a spot where you can use the wrench on. its at the base of the handle.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (stock00)

Definately use the impact.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (B2FiNiTY)

#3 will fit better. wont run the risk of stripping. or use a combo. impact with #3 bit.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:21 PM

yup, I know about that little ole impact dealie.. Guess thats why us americans are getting fatter by the day..

Um anyways, when I drill out the head of the screw, witch looks like the only option I have left, you guys are saying not to waste my time installing a new set?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Debaser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1) Drill them out and say goodbye or replace them if you feel as though a little piece of your life is gone. You don't need them other than to keep the rotor on when you change a tire.

Good Luck and be sure to scream out some sort of Kung Fu style noise when you whack it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, unless i drive around with out the brake callaperz, it might fall off when I take off a tire.

Yells, HIYAAAAAA_WAHOO_CHUUU
Old 03-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Boba Connoisseur

you don't need the screws...
Old 03-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (stock00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use a #3 phillips head screw driver. and a wrench. the #3 should have a spot where you can use the wrench on. its at the base of the handle. </TD></TR></TABLE>
seriously, you sound like the guy that told me I didn't need a flare nut wrench.

If you want to spend all day dicking around with getting the rotors off then by all means go ahead and follow his advise. If you want it done quickly and properly then use an impact screwdriver, hell, even a cheap one would work.
seriously, pro's don't spend thousands of dollars on tools cause they're shiny or they're in need of paperweights...
Old 03-20-2004, 04:57 PM

Same problem everyone gets when taking screws off rotors. Same solution: use the impact screwdriver.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (bad93ex)

Nothing a little PB Blaster wont help.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rotor screws are stuck (TODAeg6)

damn guyz......time to get a little creativity going on here. If you dont have a impact driver and dont want to waste the time drilling the screws out, just use a damn hammer and chissel.

lay corner of chissel the screw on an angle and wack that bitch with a B.F.H.

works everytime

mike
Old 03-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member