Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rota wheels, why are they special?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rota wheels, why are they special?

This question is a few years late. I know a lot of Civic guys have Rota wheels, like the above. I think they look good too. Aside from looks, are there any other reason why they are (were) so popular?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (GoLowDrew)

the price.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (da6er)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by da6er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the price.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't have said it better. All rota does is make a "knock off" version of the expensive authentic wheels. The rotas look practically (&lt;--key word) identical to the real thing for 1/4 of the price. So why not rock em???
Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason that I bought a set was simple. They're inexpensive, well made, lightweight, and available in many different styles and colours.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow if you were azhondatuners.net you would get banned immediately for even bringing them up lol
Old 03-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like em because they remind me of Spoon rims, for less $
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Default Re: (honduh_head)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honduh_head &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow if you were azhondatuners.net you would get banned immediately for even bringing them up lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
why?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (mcvtec)

i have had about 4 or 5 different sets of rota wheels and never again will i buy them... since then i have only owned oem wheels till i order some real, high quality wheels... you get what u pay for and for 400 bucks or so u get a product that was made mostly for looks and not for function or quality.... all the rota wheels i bought all got bent within a few months or the paint chipped on them only thing i like about them is the weight
Old 03-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Old Member

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (Midori Green)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had about 4 or 5 different sets of rota wheels and never again will i buy them... since then i have only owned oem wheels till i order some real, high quality wheels... you get what u pay for and for 400 bucks or so u get a product that was made mostly for looks and not for function or quality.... all the rota wheels i bought all got bent within a few months or the paint chipped on them only thing i like about them is the weight</TD></TR></TABLE>

Details please. I'm thinking of getting them for my Accord.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Details please. I'm thinking of getting them for my Accord.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all the details are there.. what else you wanna know??? i mean for the kids coming into the honda game they love how the wheels look and the price seems great but if u ask the older kids they will tell you right away stay away from them
Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm well maybe you got a bad set cause I have been running mine for 2 years now and the paint is almost perfect and no bent wheels or cracks or anything and I drive it hard. Also I know guys that run rotas on there race car. They are a very light wheel which is nice for racing but of course they arnt as durable as stock wheels but theres always tradeoffs. They crack occasionally from racing but you inspect them often and replace when you find a bad one. so damn cheap tho.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

inexpensive, lightweight (13-14 lbs each wheel) and they look great! I got a set of them on my car right now
Old 03-28-2008, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (JeffBro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffBro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm well maybe you got a bad set cause I have been running mine for 2 years now and the paint is almost perfect and no bent wheels or cracks or anything and I drive it hard. Also I know guys that run rotas on there race car all the time cause you cant find wheels as light as rotas. They crack occasionally from racing but you inspectment often and replace when you find a bad one. so damn cheap tho. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well where i live theres harsh weather and pot holes all over the place... and on a race car i would have no problem because i already stated they were light.. but that racecar are used rarely (only on track) and on a daily i wouldnt use these rims ever again and i speak to you threw trial and error not because i heard this or heard that
Old 03-28-2008, 02:15 PM

you dont take care of them if you bent them because i have never bent one of mine and i had mine for almost three years and on two different cars. and i dont even have a knick on my wheels and yes it gets driven everyday.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (greg00si)

your not supposed to take care of them!!... if u have wheels that u are worried are gonna damage if u beat on the car (which we all do) then those wheels are crap!! and rota is a perfect example... now the picture i have here is an unlikely scenario but u will never see this on a non knockoff high quality wheel......never

Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Old Member

Thank you. Now. Every "cheap" brand has a name, and can be an original design. How will I know the wheel will hold up?
Old 03-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Darth ModerVader

If you think expensive wheels never bend or break, you're sorely mistaken.

There is nothing whatsoever wrong with Rota wheels.

And here is some real information about your photo: https://honda-tech.com/zero...91272
Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (Padawan)

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (.PLUMMM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .PLUMMM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Couldn't have said it better. All rota does is make a "knock off" version of the expensive authentic wheels. The rotas look practically (&lt;--key word) identical to the real thing for 1/4 of the price. So why not rock em??? </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM

Rota one of the best replica wheel at a decsent price!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM

a friend of mine has some rota slipstreams and they are awsome. instead of buying a nice set of wheels he ended up dipping them in chrome for $800 just because he liked them so much and didnt want to have take a loss or have $400 of rims sitting in the garage
Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Shenanigans

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think expensive wheels never bend or break, you're sorely mistaken.

And here is some real information about your photo: https://honda-tech.com/zero...91272</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you for posting that. all wheels have defects and its obvious the red rotas were extremely abused and never cared for. expensive wheels break all the time, mugen rnrs for example were extremely prone to stress cracking
Old 03-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Rota wheels, why are they special? (H22Ej1)

Rota is fine.. that guys trippin. i dont know what he was doing but ive never had a problem with my slips.. never curbed or anything.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you think expensive wheels never bend or break, you're sorely mistaken.

And here is some real information about your photo: https://honda-tech.com/zero...91272</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL sorry, pwned.

Oh, and pwned to this as well:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any one want to know the REAL STORY?

The wheels (previous to being on this car) were on another race car, FOR 2 FULL SEASONS, thats over 160 track days. The guy who owned the rims durning that time wasn't the nicest driver, and hit LOTS of curbs, went off track alot also. When the rims were sold to the owner of that car. the seller said "i wouldn't run these rims without first having them checked out. they were put threw hell for 2 years."

Also for all of the people who are Hating on rota. When you RACE a car, wheels are disposable, you check them often and after a year or so, you throw them out, just like brake pads, or brake rotors.

I have seen on BBS, Kosie, SRR, and many other wheels on race car, brake or snap.

OO ya FYI, the owner of the wheels NEVER checked them like he was instructed to, and ALL the wheels had visible cracks.

expletive people who tell half the damn story </TD></TR></TABLE>

My next set of wheels I intend to get are probably going to be some 15x8 slips for track duty. , but not while driving, lol

Modified by BlackoutVTi at 5:21 PM 3/28/2008
Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people hate on rotas cuz its the cool thing to do. why spend 2000 on authentic spoon, mugen, or work wheels only to have your car stolen. doesnt make sense to me.

Quick Reply: Rota wheels, why are they special?