Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip?

what would be better for the strip? taking the roof off and leaving it home for the extra weight loss or would it cause to big of a wind resistance and slow me down more anyway? friends have always asked me but i see little movies of delsols doing the 1/4 with roofs on so i always assumed there was a reason and i should leave it on. ??
Old 01-16-2003, 01:01 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (KCDelSol)

I leave mine on cause the wind turbulence inside the car is too anoying plus it pulls harder at top end with the top on
Old 01-16-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (Kail18)

I dont know, but bro be careful talking about del sols on here there are a bunch of disgruntled mustang drivers that will talk ****. Sometimes I wonder if we should all start a new site and leave honda-tech to the mustang drivers. Bring it go down the track once with it on and once with it off see wich one goes faster.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (ethug4life)

ok, the mustang drivers who talk sh*t dont have a life. they just like to get onto a site actually called Honda -Tech... and cause problems. its mainly because delsols like mine, eat mustangs, 6's and 8's alike. havent lost yet with my setup. i would never go to a stang website and talk crap, they are ntohing more then mere losers with nothing else to do. they probably just got home while getting there handed to them 3 times on their way by hondas. gotta love the stang boys...
Old 01-16-2003, 01:22 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever see a convertible drag car?? i think the answer to your question is easy
Old 01-16-2003, 01:26 PM

i usually dont hate on anybody, but mustangs(and their non-functional scoops) are another story. if theres a bad rap about honda drivers being idiots on the road, mustang drivers should have it 3 times worse. they think they are so ****** cool,,, nuff said.

i cant wait to get my setup done just to put some of those bitches in their place.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually, i think it's a safety issue, when you're at the track i believe it's required to run with any removable tops in place and sunroofs closed. My friend had a teg he was running at the track and we always keep the heater on full blast on the window vents, so he kept his sunroof open - the track officials told him he HAD to keep it closed, guess if he crashed, they didnt want body parts flying out of the open top.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (22lbGS-R)

I am beginning to like honda-tech. Tranquile happiness and honda drivin' mustang haters right on!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:34 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (RSZero1)

not true....at track bout a month ago another fellow soler was running 3 or 4 times without top...
Old 01-16-2003, 01:47 PM

I dont know, but bro be careful talking about del sols on here there are a bunch of disgruntled mustang drivers that will talk ****. Sometimes I wonder if we should all start a new site and leave honda-tech to the mustang drivers. Bring it go down the track once with it on and once with it off see wich one goes faster.
not to be a dick but its not just a single car they hate....its for all imports or atleast hondas that they come on the board and start trolling. plus by going to any board ull still get the dumbasses who will troll.

but to answer your question its better to have the top on for two main reasons....drag and strengthen the frame. with the top off it creates a lot of drag and when its gone it also allows more frame flexing which in turn doesnt help traction when the frame is twisting. for those who dont drive one trust me its noticeable to the driver when u shift and grab a gear hard.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (delslow94)

Thanks not to be a dick but I have been getting hated on alot by stang drivers.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:03 PM

my dad had a 96 vette for awhlie that had a removable top... when he would take it off there was a clip that he would install on the rear hatch glass latch. it basically clipped into the stock latch, then the glass would clip into the aftermarket bracket so the back glass hatch would stay open about 3 inches to let the air flow through the car... it really worked well according to him.

very hard to explain but if you think about it enough it makes sense. i dont think that would help for a sol though the way it is designed, i have a coupe so im not sure if the del sol back glass can be opened or removed.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: roof off or too much wind resistance? for strip? (euclid)

Take out the rear windshield hahaha same consept. Hmmmm it would even drop more weight sorry I guess it's just me and my frineds that would pull a stupid stunt like that.