Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

rod knock/bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rod knock/bearing

so i used the ams foam cleaner today, cleaned out the whole motor and ended up with a rod knock. so im going to order new rod bearings and main bearing but i was wondering, what's good to order? should i just order new stock ones or is ther any better deals because i truly do not know.

thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Default Re: rod knock/bearing

Stock ones! Unless you plan on a race specific engine in which you will be tearing on it and rebuilding it frequently there is no need/benefit in most aftermarket bearings. We still use the stock bearings in High horsepower applications because they are the most reliable out there. Make sure you plasti-gauge for proper tolerances and if need be turn/resurface the crank
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man for the quick response. i am going to get stock ones. do you know the best place to get them? i buy use but im just going to buy these new i guess, and a family member is going to help me with these since he is a head mechanic at mercedes.

i looked on hondaautomotiveparts but could not find the rod bearing and main bearing? any help?
Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and sorry, the motor is a obd1 jdmb16, do i order for 2000 civic si?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Yes, best option is to go directly to a Honda dealer. They will give you different size options by color codes. I generally buy 1 of each and do a plasti-gauge check. I typically get 3 out of 4 if it is turned. It is best to take your time this way. A lot of people just throw them in and it works okay for normal use. but occasionally I hear someone spinning a bearing because there was too much gap. If you are hard on your Engine DO NOT CUT THIS CORNER!

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=405
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by vlc92189
so i used the ams foam cleaner today, cleaned out the whole motor and ended up with a rod knock...
If you don't mind, I have a few few questions about rod knock. How did you determine that the noise was rod knock? How would one recognize this sound? I hear a bottom end click/tick in my 2000 D16Y8. It's not very loud, but noticeable. Do you have to remove the engine to replace the bearing(s) or is the work done from below with the oil pan removed?
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could do it from underneath the car but it would be a ginormous pain in the dick. its best to have the engine out of the car and flipped over so you can get to everything easily. imagine trying to bolt the crank into place and plastigaging it while you have to hold the crank up simultaneously. all the while hoping it doesn't fall back down and crush your chest/face region.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM

D16Si is right I have done 1 in car before...Never again! I will work through the night to get a car done before trying to cut that corner again! as for the sound it will usually be very noticeable but may be confused with other knocking sounds. you can use a screw driver to help determin where the noise is coming from. It will obviously fallow RPM. The biggest problem is people will throw the rod while tring to diagnose it. If you have what you expect to be a rod knock DO NOT rev out your engine. I have had them before as loud as a simple v-tec klick but normally it is on the louder side.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, look up vids of rod knocks on youtube and see if that sounds like what you have going on. the best thing to do is not run the engine any longer than you absolutely have to once you've determined you actually have a bearing starting to go. if you catch it early enough it shouldn't scour the crank too bad and you'll be able to save yourself some money on grinding the crank down.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
you could do it from underneath the car but it would be a ginormous pain in the dick. its best to have the engine out of the car and flipped over so you can get to everything easily. imagine trying to bolt the crank into place and plastigaging it while you have to hold the crank up simultaneously. all the while hoping it doesn't fall back down and crush your chest/face region.
Thanks for those important insights. Also, how does one go about specifically diagnosing rod knock and distinguishing it from other engine noises?

Edit: You guys posted before I had time to respond. The ticking noise I hear is specifically during idle and seems to be coming from the bottom end. When the engine is running at low or high speed or driving, I don't notice any ticking noise and engine runs just fine.

Last edited by Former User; 01-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rod knock is super apparent once you've heard it before. Basically, take a hammer and knock on the engine block really fast. It sounds like that. Here's a vid of rod knock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZvtcZ6uSA

When you have it it will increase or decrease with engine speed is the easiest way to tell if it's rod knock.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^lmao, and its a dsm

if you blip the throttle for a second you'd definately hear that distinctive sound. its like someone banging on the bottom of your hood with hammers. i know rod knocks can start really subtle, but generally it doesn't take very long for them to become pronounced and easily noticeable.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the informative video. That must be a very severe case of rod knock. As I mentioned in my last post, the ticking noise I hear is specifically during idle and also much less severe. It does seem to be coming from the bottom end, though when the engine is running at low or high speed or driving, I don't notice any ticking noise and engine runs just fine. Is this an early, minor form of rod knock?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its possible, but not likely.. has it been doing this for awhile or did you just notice it? my friends celica had a very subtle knock on his old toyota 3sge engine for quite a long time, and it just finally spun a rod bearing about 2 weeks ago. he pulled the crank out thinking it might be garbage since he had no choice but to drive it for 2 days in the bad shape it was in. however after using a micrometer to measure all the connecting rod journals, they spec'd out fine. so he's throwing some new crank bearings, rod bearings, and piston rings in, and calling it a day. well i mean he's completely disassembled the head as well and is replacing the valve stem seals. but that wasn't like a necessity lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
its possible, but not likely.. has it been doing this for awhile or did you just notice it? my friends celica had a very subtle knock on his old toyota 3sge engine for quite a long time, and it just finally spun a rod bearing about 2 weeks ago. he pulled the crank out thinking it might be garbage since he had no choice but to drive it for 2 days in the bad shape it was in. however after using a micrometer to measure all the connecting rod journals, they spec'd out fine. so he's throwing some new crank bearings, rod bearings, and piston rings in, and calling it a day. well i mean he's completely disassembled the head as well and is replacing the valve stem seals. but that wasn't like a necessity lol.
I bought the 2000 Civic (D16Y8; 100K miles) in September 08, and I noticed the ticking noise shortly thereafter. So, in truth, I am not really sure how long the engine ticking has been going on. How should I proceed?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure it's not coming from the exhaust manifold? Sometimes when the gasket on the exhaust manifold starts to deteriorate it can make a similar sound to a really light rod knock, but more of a clicking sound. What you should get a-hold of is a mechanic's stethoscope. That will help you pinpoint where the sound is coming from exactly.

I also laughed when I noticed it was a DSM too. XD
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Are you sure it's not coming from the exhaust manifold? Sometimes when the gasket on the exhaust manifold starts to deteriorate it can make a similar sound to a really light rod knock, but more of a clicking sound. What you should get a-hold of is a mechanic's stethoscope. That will help you pinpoint where the sound is coming from exactly.
Thanks. I had not considered a noisy exhaust manifold. The exhaust system is vibrating a bit at certain engine rpms. Interestingly, I used a length of rubber tubing to localize the ticking noise to the bottom end near the exhaust manifold. I did not check the opposite side of the block. I recently checked for free play at exhaust pipe A and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Should I remove the exhaust manifold for further inspection?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said, it's possible that a portion of the exhaust is slightly loose and causing that sound. I've had vehicles at work that the exhaust manifold nuts had worked themselves loose slightly over time and would cause a clicking sound, similar to a light rod knock. I used a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the problem area first before tearing into anything. A mechanic's stethoscope is like the one a doctor uses except instead it has a 7" long thin metal probe to poke down into places instead of the round thing the doctor's stethoscope uses. You can also use a long screwdriver in the same fashion, but it's not nearly as accurate. How many miles are on the exhaust/engine?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine and exhaust system has 100K miles. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You could be seeing the exhaust start to deteriorate at that mileage and use. My girlfriend's 97 with 135k miles on it needs the muffler replaced at this time due to it being blown out. Also, her exhaust manifold gasket leaks slightly too.

Like I said though, if you can get a-hold of a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate the area you'll be golden.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so im just going to order them from napa is that ok? i called honda and they want like certain numbers? i dont know?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any input