Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations?

sadly, i have to move from norcal to texas. im driving and the air force is gonna pay for my travel expenses. i have a 94 civic coupe with 130K miles on it. i just swapped in a perfect VX tranny, new axle, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, and oil change. any other preperations i should do before driving?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bring coolant and duct tape with you, and maybe an alternator belt. make sure your spare is in good condition and if you have room bring 2 spare tires. good luck
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50 AM

Default Re: (ccjustin)

1 suite case of.....2 bags of grass, seventy-five pills of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... Also a quart of tequilla, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.....

have fun
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (vg7z)

double check your belts, your spare tire, bring a gallon of water, and dont be afraid to sleep at the truck stops... oh bring enough music cd's/tapes too

i went from socal to michigan to buy my 1 owner 92 si hatch, flew in and drove back. 2,200 miles 32hrs with only 6 hrs of sleep.

enjoy the drive, go the speed limit, let others pass you and watch out for road kill.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">double check your belts, your spare tire, bring a gallon of water, <U>and dont be afraid to sleep at the truck stops... </U> oh bring enough music cd's/tapes too

i went from socal to michigan to buy my 1 owner 92 si hatch, flew in and drove back. 2,200 miles 32hrs with only 6 hrs of sleep.

enjoy the drive, go the speed limit, let others pass you and watch out for road kill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You hear about the guy in az that got killed at sunset point in his car sleeping.

Scary sheit

I would take an extra timing belt just to be safe, and every tool you find useful
Old 05-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (hellshock2182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hellshock2182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You hear about the guy in az that got killed at sunset point in his car sleeping. Scary sheit</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats only because he couldnt sleep with one eye open.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (hellshock2182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hellshock2182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You hear about the guy in az that got killed at sunset point in his car sleeping.

Scary sheit

I would take an extra timing belt just to be safe, and every tool you find useful </TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah man, that was some crazy ****.

Change your oil before you go, even if you aren't to the point of where you normally change it. I also second the suggestion for good music preferably something you can sing along with. Not only does it help keep you awake should you want to push your luck, but you get some of the strangest looks from people passing you
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the belts, carry a spare alternator belt, tools to do minor repairs (10,12,14,17mm socket and wrench;screwdrivers, hammer), a case of water, a quart of oil, jumper cables, check the spare for condition and air, make visual checks of everything you would if you were going autox. i drove my vx from anchorage to la in the middle of winter. pcs move too...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:45 PM

how hard is it to do a alternator belt, and how do i check my belts
Old 05-12-2006, 01:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hellshock2182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would take an extra timing belt just to be safe, and every tool you find useful </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think if his timing belt snaps, he will have other problems like bent valves
Old 05-12-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (packthis)

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone doing a timing belt job on the side of the freeway.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations? (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think if his timing belt snaps, he will have other problems like bent valves </TD></TR></TABLE>
Bring a spare engine block in the trunk?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: (vg7z)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vg7z &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how hard is it to do a alternator belt, and how do i check my belts</TD></TR></TABLE>

alot easier then a tranny swap in my opinion- 2 bolts unscrew the nut onto the power, pull harness and its off-
Old 05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the belts by visually inspecting them for cracks, frays, wear and excessive shinning. if they squeal or have more than about 2cm of play, they need to be replaced or adjusted. the belt costs 12 dollars, replace it if you haven't in the last 60k miles.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdmLub)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdmLub &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 suite case of.....2 bags of grass, seventy-five pills of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half-full of cocaine and a whole galaxy of multicolored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers.... Also a quart of tequilla, a quart of rum, a case of budweiser, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice movie reference

as for the OP, its been said already. water, altenator belt, check spare, etc etc.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cash, tie wraps, duct tape, mini tool kit.

Oh and check you tire pressure before you leave. It will help save gas.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vg7z)

zip ties and pump the tire to 40+ a spare gas tank if you have one ( those red ones for lawn mower). a 4-5 foot pumping pipe to get the lug nuts off easier / to kick some *** if anything goes wrong
Old 05-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondmywrld)

plenty of money to buy food if the army not payn for that.
texas is nice right wait till summer gets here eeeeeeeeeeik
Old 05-17-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re:

I am about to do the same thing, except in reverse. I am moving from OK to Riverside County in two weeks. Maybe I'll pass ya on the highway.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (filthy rich)

thats nothing.. we took my gf's 4dr 91 civic dx to washington and back to san jose
when we went to washington the car was scrping the way back to cali ,.. had a bunch of her **** in the back of her car lol
Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (JamesV)

i would also flush out my cooling system and put some new coolant in there. I mean come on you gotta think that engine is gonna be running for a couple hours straight. Also def. change oil before you go. Good luck man and have fun and like CX shoe said drive the speed limit.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">zip ties and pump the tire to 40+ a spare gas tank if you have one ( those red ones for lawn mower). a 4-5 foot pumping pipe to get the lug nuts off easier / to kick some *** if anything goes wrong </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont put 40+ psi in your tires. Put whatever max -3lbs for elevation, as you will blow your tires otherwise. I would try and get a full size spare or two, and 2-3 24packs of water. Oh, and bring your camera. Dont forget to recharge the battery!

I would change fluids such as motor oil, tranny oil and coolant. Wash and MAKE SURE YOU WAX IT!!! It will ease the removal of all the bugs u'll run into. Also fill ur windshield washer bottle for bugs in the windshield, along with the occasional bird.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DeadEnd9009)

putting 40/+ is ok tires have a tolerances and tires have a maximum rating of 44( at least all the ones i have) tire rating set by manufacture(of the car) is for a little bit to the comfort side and and i drove an suv from la to sf with 40psi while the car itself says 30psi and going up the mountain from la to sf don't give you enough elevation? read the side wall of your tire it probably say 44 too.... but i know some people like to follow the rules and be safe and don't wanna risk....
Old 05-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondmywrld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">putting 40/+ is ok tires have a tolerances and tires have a maximum rating of 44( at least all the ones i have) tire rating set by manufacture(of the car) is for a little bit to the comfort side and and i drove an suv from la to sf with 40psi while the car itself says 30psi and going up the mountain from la to sf don't give you enough elevation? read the side wall of your tire it probably say 44 too.... but i know some people like to follow the rules and be safe and don't wanna risk....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Every tire is different. Going by the maximum is just a bad idea. Go with what your car recommends. Work up or down from there if you need to for comfort, feel, or personal preference. If you have a **** load of crap in the back you may wish to put the a few extra pounds (~5) in the rear tires.

As for the elevation; My QC friend was refering to the fact that for every 2000ft in elevation you climb your tire pressure will increase by about 1lbs. Just something to consider if you are going up a tall mountain. Temperature is also a factor, the hotter the more pressure.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

i know tires have differnet maximum ratings but i'm the kanna person that likes to take things to the maximum side if you know what i mean

Quick Reply: Roadtrip! 1600 miles from norcal to texas...preprations?