Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rhd ej sedan

it is registerd but am i able to legally convert it
Old 05-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep your old vins to show your parts arent stilen. Thier gonna want paper work for everything!!!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RHD swaps involve replacing the firewall. Replacing the firewall involves ******* with the firewall VIN stamps. ******* with VIN stamps is illegal.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 AM
Master Ninja

Will never understand doing rhd swaps.

Inb4 itsmadtytjdmdoe
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
RHD swaps involve replacing the firewall. Replacing the firewall involves ******* with the firewall VIN stamps. ******* with VIN stamps is illegal.
in CA there's a process you can go through with the CHP to have them inspect everything and issue new VINS. my friend is going through it right now and it's a huge pain in the ***.

if CA allows it i'm sure other states do as well
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by doood
in CA there's a process you can go through with the CHP to have them inspect everything and issue new VINS. my friend is going through it right now and it's a huge pain in the ***.

if CA allows it i'm sure other states do as well
I'm not sure how that plays with Federal law, and OP doesn't live in CA, so it's a moot point anyway. OP, if you actually care about being legal, contact your local PD, talk to the Sgt who handles the inspection stations, and see what's up. No one here is going to go over complex legalese for you.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

On my phone so i can not dig up the information but i have posted it before on here. Messing with vins is not actually illegal. It is illegal to tamper vins for fraudulant purposes.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure how that plays with Federal law, and OP doesn't live in CA, so it's a moot point anyway. OP, if you actually care about being legal, contact your local PD, talk to the Sgt who handles the inspection stations, and see what's up. No one here is going to go over complex legalese for you.

LOL. in georgia and florida rhd conversion is as legal as buying brocolli at a food store.

Cut your firewall out and weld in the rhd conversion firewall and call it a day. remove or just leave the japanese vin on it. Keep your current vin tag off your original dash and if anything ever came up you just explain that the dash was replaced

as long as you are insured and tagged and registered there is nothing illegal about it in ga or fla.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

18 USCS § 2321
§ 2321
(a) Whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
This is a Federal law. I don't give two ***** what state you live in - you still live in the United States, and are subject to Federal laws. According to this statute alone, doing the swap isn't illegal, but selling, scrapping, or even owning said VIN swapped car is a Federal crime.

Do you really want to go toe to toe with me on the law?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:28 AM

http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Would love to see one of these in a drive thru.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Would love to see one of these in a drive thru.
Buddy ised to jave an old subaru mail wagon and he loved messing with drivethrews.

Law iswritten one way. Cases show they are not going after you unless you are being fradulant or deceptive. No prosecutor is going after an rhd swap.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a Federal law. I don't give two ***** what state you live in - you still live in the United States, and are subject to Federal laws. According to this statute alone, doing the swap isn't illegal, but selling, scrapping, or even owning said VIN swapped car is a Federal crime.

Do you really want to go toe to toe with me on the law?
YES I DO

but there is no swapped vin buddy.

a jdm vin number won't even register in a computer IN the USA.

if a officer saw a japanese vin code it could not be considered tampering with vin because it simply isn't a VALID VIN in america

Why you may ask?

because a dash is simply a car part, a firewall is a replaceable car part. who cares if it has a vital number on it such as a vin code it would never matter because it is a JAPANESE vin number which i believe are NOT 17 digits!

IF you say own a 96 ex civic 2 door, and you install a dash from a 00 si and you LEAVE the 00 si vin tag on the dash...now we are talkin fishy business which all in all, you MAY or MAY NOT have stolen that dash but things could get heavy quick.

Back on topic though.. Installing japanese parts (wheels, door handles, DASHBOARD, FIREWALL) is not illegal by any means. No one here is tampering with USA american vin numbers. we are simply purchasing parts and installing them, NOT swapping vins and playing around with vins.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Buddy ised to jave an old subaru mail wagon and he loved messing with drivethrews.

Law iswritten one way. Cases show they are not going after you unless you are being fradulant or deceptive. No prosecutor is going after an rhd swap.

thank you....
Old 05-28-2013, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by sleepyaccord96
but there is no swapped vin buddy.

if a officer saw a japanese vin code it could not be considered tampering with vin because it simply isn't a VALID VIN in america

Back on topic though.. Installing japanese parts (wheels, door handles, DASHBOARD, FIREWALL) is not illegal by any means. No one here is tampering with USA american vin numbers. we are simply purchasing parts and installing them, NOT swapping vins and playing around with vins.
You truly are stupid, aren't you? You are removing one part, with the VIN stamp affixed to it, and replacing it with another part that has a different (and incorrect) VIN stamp affixed to it. It not being "valid" doesn't make it any different than what it is. You are removing the part that the VIN is attached to, thus indirectly removing the VIN. That is the definition of tampering. I you read the legal text I sourced and quoted, and were capable of intellectual thought past that of a 9th grader, you would understand this.

Yes, doctorake is correct in that the people being convicted are those who sell their cars, but the law clearly reads that buying, selling, and owning the vehicle with a swapped VIN plate is illegal. If you take two seconds to think about it, you would realize why these people are only catching charges when they try to sell the car - because the government has had no reason to look into it before that point. With the exception of very few locales, a traffic violation is not going to get an officer to check your VIN. Driving a RHD car in and of itself is not illegal, nor is it probably cause in most jurisdictions, thus they can't pull you over "just to check your VIN".

Understanding the law requires more intellect than you seem to have. Doctorake is correct in the enforcement of the laws, and I have already explained that. Thank him all you want - his point is only serving to strengthen mine.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:17 AM

Like I was saying though, Law does not matter how it is written, it is all about the case law which clearly shows that it only matters if deceptive practices are used. The 2nd amendment is a good example of this, people think it says different things but all that matters is case law surrounding it.

enforcement is actually an entirely different thing.

Another note that no one is even beginning to bring up is what is an actual VIN stamp? I have not even bothered to research this but if it includes any of the VIN stickers on bumpers, VIN plates on motors/trans, then swapping any part of a car would be a federal crime according to what you are saying. Of course looking at the case law it shows that they have convicted people of messing with both of those so thusly they could be considered VIN stamps as well.

The real bottom line is unless you are being deceptive, it is legal to change out a VIN stamp/sticker/plate, based on previous case law.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

There are a couple of case studies on the page you linked, doctorake, that do not include any attempt at deception. The laws apply to the VIN stamps that are federally required, which, for the EJ chassis, only includes the stamp on the firewall/dash area visible through the windshield. The rest are there for security and theft retrieval, and has been proven low in effectiveness.

The fact of the matter is, by the letter of the law, it is illegal. Actually enforcing that law, specifically the possession part, is next to impossible, so you can "get away" with it quite easily. The question posed was whether or not it was illegal, not if you can get away with it. If you do this, never expect to sell the car - that's when you'll get caught. Would you catch the full sentence? No, unless you really showed your ***.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ complete moron....

go to the popo academy and become a cop why don't ya...

Go tell the 50k people in america who own rhd swapped cars and tell them this they will laugh in your face... you are a complete idiot man.

quoting from a government web page....quoting from a FSM, "you have tuning software on hand" <---- shows me your a book smart fool with no sense. You really make me laugh man...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So, are you not willing to accept legal texts and case law, or are you just too mentally deficient to understand them? 50,000 people in America with RHD converted cars? Care to cite that, or are you just pulling numbers out of your ***? You somehow know that I've never been through legal training?

Yep, you know nothing about me, and you're another immature car owner who thinks they know everything about the law. Let me know when you're anywhere near doctorake or my levels.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL, maybe consider being a comedian
Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Maybe consider going back to school and learning how to use more than .5% of your brain matter.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM

Lock this thread, nothing worse then generally helpful members bickering.

I think we have our own opinions on this and no one will change anyone's mind.

Quick Reply: rhd ej sedan