Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

RHD conversion in SD

Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RHD conversion in SD

Hey anybody here from San Diego that knows a shop in our area that does right hand drive conversions?? And how much it costs???
Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM

Default Re: RHD conversion in SD (mattbnt0412)

bump
Old 08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not DIY?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RHD conversion in SD (rarrior23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rarrior23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not DIY?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would be willing to bet that someone who is asking this is completely unqualified to do it on their own.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RHD conversion in SD (92slowcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92slowcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i would be willing to bet that someone who is asking this is completely unqualified to do it on their own.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably true, but wouldn't it be cheaper to DIY?

Plus all the knowledge and experience you'd learn doing a project like that is almost priceless.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont even think he would know where to begin, since he could search for it but didnt, plus he has 4 posts...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceburnerryan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont even think he would know where to begin, since he could search for it but didnt, plus he has 4 posts...</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he's smart enough he could follow a DIY, I think I saw a RHD DIY a while ago on here.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

possibly...
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No offense by the smart enough thing, just some people on this site are really stupid and don't research before posting.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not everyone has the time/energy to do that kinda work themselves. leave the guy alone and help him find a shop in SD
Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RHD conversion in SD (dangthemang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dangthemang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not everyone has the time/energy to do that kinda work themselves. leave the guy alone and help him find a shop in SD </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know not everyone has the time/energy, just trying to help him save some money.

And if he was in my SD, I'd help him out, but he's in San Diego and I'm in South Dakota lol.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the input guys. But just cuz I have 4 posts doesn't mean that I'm new to hondas. I've been working on my own car since I got my first stock eg6 when I was 15. I turbod my single cam. That got stolen (rip). Built a ls/vtec da. Totalled it cuz of a drunk driver. And swapped a b16 into my current eg. Whichjust got broken into 2 days ago. They tried to steal it but thanks to my multiple killswitches they failed. And somehow they took my club off without cutting anything. But even then They [freak]ed up my steering rack and ignition so I figured this is the perfect time to do this conversion since a front clip I'm getting ready to buy come with those parts and more.
BUT, I am not confident in my welding ability so yeah you're right there. I'm an electrician in the navy. And also with being in the navy I don't have the time, I do got the money though haha

But man someone down here help me
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM

damn. and you still want to convert to RHD with those thief attemps?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like he knows what he's doing, I'm sure he'll find plenty of ways to keep the thieves away.

If you got the money then just hire somebody to do it. It'll be a lot easier for you especially since you're in the Navy and don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Plus, if you hire a shop to do it you can make sure it's done professionally, and if they mess up you can just take it back and make them get it done right haha.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Yeah I was thinking a shop would be a better decision hahaha now all I need is to find a shop though.

a dude over at aerocosmetixx said there was a shop that does rhd conversions up in garden grove but didn't know the name of the shop. I'm guessing he was talking about crown?

But still hoping there's a place closer
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know any shops in Cali but there's plenty of guys on here from that area that I'm sure would help ya out. Just got ot be patient.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Re: RHD conversion in SD

I can do a RHD conversion for you. I have done 1 Integra, 1 EG, 2 EF8's, and an EF9 and can provide refrences or show you my Integra, which is my current daily driver. All of the work is completly seam welded. Please email me for more info domhondaswaps@gmail.com Prices start at $1000
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK..as close as i can come to a DIY Would be Get a RHD front clip for your car. Get the drill out. Drill out the spot welds on the firewall. (clearly strip everything out first.)
Do the same on your car, Then get the welder out and weld the spot welds of the RHD FIrewall in. (your engine must be removed). Then start putting on the parts of the RHD vehicle. I belive your front crossmember needs to be switched with the RHD version also so your car will be on jack stands for a while. so basically you have to gut the front of your car before you start. Suspensions engine, Master cylender clutch slave cylender allt he brake lines AC lines Battery wires, all that ECU, Dash, Heatercore Steering column,EVERYTHING MUST GO. That would be the time if you have a 96-98 civic to decide if you wanted to go with the electronic climate control. However i belive most of the JDM cars had electronic climate control before we started having it. Any ways basicaly
Dissasemble
Drill out spot welds on both vehicles
Weld new firewall and bolt up new front cross member
Paint,
resinstall parts and motor.
i may be missing things but thats the jist of it
Old 07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shifting with your left hand seems alien to me. Like flipping a guitar
the other way and trying to play. How long does it take to get used
to it? I'd assume pretty quickly but it's gotta be crazy at first...
Old 07-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Its very annoying i knew some one with a RHD legacy wagon and he said it was very annoying to drive on a road ment for LHD vehicles. Some people love it.. some people hate it.. i would suggest going to some one that has a RHD car and driving it around to see if you will like it or not.. if you dont i dont reccomend you getting it done. I can understand Buying a RHD vehicle but i cant understand converting them unless your getting the car imported some where where it HAS to be RHD
Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM

I drive mine everyday and I love it! It takes a couple minutes to get used to but your brain automatically switches. At first you go to shift and hit the door before you realize you gotta use your gotta use your left hand... it's a trip but is hella fun!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM

If you import a car it is really hard to register but if you convert it the vin is still the same and is no problem to register...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I'm not the type to get something like that done..But I would love
to hop in one and try it! I guarantee I would be hitting the door with
my right hand like you said. I even feel weird in Automatics because I've
driven a stick my entire life. Hell, even my MX bikes were clutch when I
was a kid. The wife laughs at me when I drive her car because once in
a while, I'll throw my left leg down on the non-existent clutch pedal.
A creature of driving habbit thrown into a RHD would definitely be
amusing.

97ej6dx, did he have a RHD in Illinois?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yess sir peoria to be exsact. It was actually an USDM Legacy wagon with the factory RHD for mail routs. he bought it for a parts car but soon got tired of it. it was auto i belive. And a loop whole for importing cars in the states.. one of them is having them imported to canada first. its very easy for them to get cars. once it has a canadian Vin you can EASILY import it here. thats how some of the newere cars are imported. If you do it straight to the US its alot harder even tho the car has been sold over here they like to jack you around. However if you have a freind in canada that you trust or you yourself move up there for a short time you can import a car there with ease. then when you come back down here Canadian vin numbers are easily registard in the US. they dont look at the fact at the car is RHD and from japan they look at the vin number and if it has one then its easily registard.. atleast here in illinois and the northern states. there is an Acura EL with illinois plates floating around here.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or a bit more illegal.. find a car in a junkyard that looks the same as the car that you have imported. Take its vin number.. register it lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RHD conversion in SD