Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Review: 'JDM' Hood Prop -- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:51 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Review: 'JDM' Hood Prop -- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Ok, I'm tired of reading threads and arguments on this. I decided to see what it was all about and do it myself. I went to the hardware store and found all the supplies for a very minimal amount of money. I did the install, it took me about five minutes by myself, would have gone quicker with another set of hands. After doing it, I feel confident in my decision to put it back to stock. What follows is a full writeup and review. Keep in mind this is one person's experience with little scientific basis.

Project: Propped Hood
Cost: < $5
Difficulty: Easy

Supplies:
4 Steel Hex-Cap Bolt (M6x30MM) -- $0.72
4 1/2"x1/2" Nylon Spacers -- $0.96
12 1/4" Flat Washers -- $1.57 (pack of 25)
Total -- $3.25

Tools:
10mm Socket/Box Wrench
An extra set of hands (optional, but helpful)

How-To:
1. Pop your hood. Prop it completely vertical, utilizing the lower hood-prop hole.

2. Holding the hood firmly, lower the hood prop, and remove the two bolts from the hinge. It may stick, so wiggle it a bit to pop the hinge off.

3. Utilizing one (1) bolt, one (1) spacer, and three (3) washers -- bolt the hood back to the latch through the bottom hole first. Arrange the parts as follows:
Bolt - Washer - Hinge - Washer - Spacer - Washer - Hood

4. Repeat step three on the other side.

5. You're done .... drink a beer.

Hardware Comparison:

Stock Hood:

Propped Hood:
i

Car Setup:
1997 Civic CX Hatchback
1999 B18B1 Integra LS Motor (stock)
1999 Civic Si Airbox w/ Spoon Sports Foam Filter

Review:
The hood prop did not seem to help under-hood temperatures (drastically). The coolant temperature did not change much, it was tiny bit lower (maybe a hair). My air vents did blow slightly colder with the hood propped, but this is where the good stops.

With the hood propped, I noticed a slight hesitation at low RPMs and a flat spot in the mid range that was not there previously. I also think it looks retarded, but that's neither here nor there. I also got some weird wind noise with the hood propped.

Final Notes:
Regardless of the outcome, this project was well worth my time, effort, and some pocket change. It allowed me too experience something first hand that most people either praise or bash without any hands-on info. Once again, these results are based on the experience of one person with one intake setup with their own opinion. Your results may be different. In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

So just remember, Honda-Tech .... I made my car look retarded for the good of science!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice rims
Old 09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice write up haha...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (JayKayNidas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayKayNidas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice rims</TD></TR></TABLE>

Super...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

to my understanding, and please correct me if im wrong(this is honda-tech so u will) but their is a real purpose to this right not just for looks. isnt it for the guys with ITBs to get more air for better proformance?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (1ludeEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1ludeEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to my understanding, and please correct me if im wrong(this is honda-tech so u will) but their is a real purpose to this right not just for looks. isnt it for the guys with ITBs to get more air for better proformance? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The reasoning most people use (keeping in mind that less than 1% of the people on this site have ITB's) is that it will create a suction drawing hot air out and sucking cold air in.

Another reason to do this (and one of the few good ones) is if you have an H2B setup, and your hood won't close.

So the real purpose is debatable, since so few people do it for solid functionality.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like the last line, very nice solid write-up to use as a quick link to multiple posts.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm glad we didn't trade cars for the day. No gay hood pop for my car.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Review: 'JDM' Hood Prop -- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (Eran)

nice writeup
Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have an actual temp gauge, or are you using your stock unit to make the assumption of temp. difference?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an actual temp gauge, or are you using your stock unit to make the assumption of temp. difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock unit. Like I said, little science went into this. I used to have a laser track thermometer, but I had to give it back when I quit my last job . Regardless of the temperature difference ... the performance issues spoke loud enough.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The hood prop did not seem to help under-hood temperatures (drastically). The coolant temperature did not change much, it was tiny bit lower (maybe a hair). My air vents did blow slightly colder with the hood propped, but this is where the good stops.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good write up, but I'll add this. The water temp gauge on a stock honda reads like this, warm, warmer, warmest. From 120-220 the temp needle will never ever change. So you can before you could of been at 200 degres lets just say, but now your at 150, you won't see a difference in the stock gauge reading.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The reasoning most people use (keeping in mind that less than 1% of the people on this site have ITB's) is that it will create a suction drawing hot air out and sucking cold air in.

Another reason to do this (and one of the few good ones) is if you have an H2B setup, and your hood won't close.

So the real purpose is debatable, since so few people do it for solid functionality.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, I do it for my LSvtec to clear my hood. For whatever reason, it hit my old cf hood and cracked it...

Not sure if the LS block has a bigger height than gsr motors or not, but thats why i do it in my coupe...
Old 09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good **** eran
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Thateguhate)

hood looks ugly but props for doing it and doing a write up
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (russlan44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by russlan44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hood looks ugly but props for doing it and doing a write up </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's back to stock
Old 09-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job
Old 09-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

JDM hood prop FTL it seems
Old 09-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

I figured the only reason people have hood props is well they're not really hood props they're cowl induction hoods like on the older domestics. I thought it was like that to allow air to get to the air filter which sat on top of the carburetor??

Cant see how it can affect a 4 cyl engine where the air intake tube is typically in the grill?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Re: (teknoracing)

Seen it used on boosted cars, and some people drive around with it for the "JDM" look even tho I never heard of proping a hood is "JDM"

Always liked your reviews and write-ups tho keep them comming
Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (JayKayNidas)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JayKayNidas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice rims</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2, get some pics with different angles before you put it back to stock if you havent already, PLEASE!!!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akunamatta)

Thanks for the informative review.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

x2, get some pics with different angles before you put it back to stock if you havent already, PLEASE!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I'd rather not document my car looking stupid.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akunamatta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">x2, get some pics with different angles before you put it back to stock if you havent already, PLEASE!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
It went back to stock almost right away.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

I personally think this aspect of the "JDM look" is just ludacris. But to each their own

Quick Reply: Review: 'JDM' Hood Prop -- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly