Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic*

This post is intended to critique the much loved Civic del Sol seats as installed in my 1997 EJ8. Besides reviewing them, I'd also like to point out some things that I found a little cumbersome regarding the install. (If you think this post is in the wrong forum then **** off. Talk to Ricey McRicerton about it and see what he says. )

First, let me reference a few things. Much thanks to Ricey McRicerton's post on installing these seats into his Civic. The pictures helped. Secondly, props to elwood who notified me that KATMAN was selling his pair of Sols. Katman's seats arrived as described, and he shipped them out when he said he would. I would NOT hesitate to buy from him again, and I'll definitely vouch for him. Lastly, I would like to recommend all the noobs to use the ******* search feature of this site. Look at my post topics, and not ONCE did I post up about del Sol seat installation. Why? Because I used the goddamn search button to find the info I needed.

Okay, so I'm not going to say how to install these because there are enough threads about that. But I would like to point out some things that never came up. No one posted up about the annoying clips that hold the del Sol seat covers together! Argh! They're these metal rings that are a bitch to remove, so beware of that. They hold the fabric together, and you need to unwind it a little to get it out. You only need to remove one per seat to access the two bolts that hold the reclining assembly to the seatback cushion, but removing it in itself really sucks. A pair of pliers and muscle strength helps a little. Putting it back sucks, too. I was able to get the passenger side one back in okay, but for the driver's side I put it in half-assed and then used a removeable zip-tie as added measure. Meh, works okay. . . .

There was something else I was going to write, but I can't rember now. Anyway, I must say that I agree with everyone who has said that del Sol seats rock. The stock seats are a couch compared to these things. The side bolstering literally HUGS my body, and I no longer get tossed around in even the gentlest of turns. As people also have written, they do sit lower than the stock seats. I wish I had a side-by-side picture, but I don't. I would estimate that you're maybe an inch or two lower. In reality, though, it wasn't bad enough for me that I had to go and readjust all my mirrors. Just a little tiny adjustment on the rearview, and all was well.

If you're on a budget, I highly recommend these because they're almost as close to an OEM racing-style seat as you're going to find. For a Honda seat of the Civic family, they're very impressive. Some people prefer GSR seats, but having sat in my brother's GSR, I wasn't impressed. My body is too skinny to be hugged in them, and the headrests are uncomfortable, IMO. Everything about the del Sols is perfect to me--the side bolstering, the shape, just ... everything. Another option is S2K seats, but they're fairly pricey, and I don't believe the install is as simple as just swapping rails. Here's a pic of mine. Notice how near mint they are. Katman took good care of these bitches.

EDITED because elwood just reminded me that it was he who told me about Katman's sale.

Modified by Daniel at 10:48 AM 7/17/2004
Old 07-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (Daniel)

Wrong forum... J/K

Nice seats, man. They look really good in there.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:57 PM

interestign pattern..are they US seats?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (3 3 3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3 3 3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interestign pattern..are they US seats?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, he just got really excited when they came in the mail.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no, he just got really excited when they came in the mail. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Damn straight y0! I squirt blue all day everyday.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:09 PM
AVA
Sláinte

Del Sol's would be hot if they were black suede with red or black stitching, like the USDM Type-R's.

I just hate that colored stripe.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:33 AM

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (^Jae)

You can get them without a colored stripe...

Mine are black... Ill post a photo when my server isnt stupid.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (CptCorN)

nice nice...

i loved my del sol seats so much, i took them out of my del sol before i sold it and put them in my 92 hatch.. i like the stripe.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (kKdARIAN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kKdARIAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like the stripe. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, at first I hated the stripe, but it has grown on me. Now I love it.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice seat upgrade. i know as i have 2 purrz of them. pair in my sol (obviously), and my 98' hatchback (from my old sol). i don't remember anything about a fabric ring that you're talking about though. i don't remember anything being hard, or a bitch about it. i just remember...

unbolt seats from car.
unbolt all visually for rails to come off.
take off the wire.
same for civic seat.
and reverse process.

don't remember anything about metal rings.

well they look clean in your car
Old 07-17-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (jL iLLuZiOnz 9)

Hmmm, so maybe Honda changed the construction of the seats or something. I'm not even sure what year my seats are. But in my Helms manual for '92-'95 Civics (don't think del Sols are included), it shows those seats as having the metal rings, too. But other than that, everything was definitely a simple process.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:30 AM

Dunno anything about rings either.... mine are from a 95 sol. Only real work i had to do was bend the wire.

Here are mine
Old 07-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (If you think this post is in the wrong forum then **** off. Talk to Ricey McRicerton about it and see what he says. )

Lastly, I would like to recommend all the noobs to use the ******* search feature of this site. Look at my post topics, and not ONCE did I post up about del Sol seat installation. Why? Because I used the goddamn search button to find the info I needed.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

so young, so angry... damn that rap music.

nice seats.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: REVIEW: del Sol Seats In My EJ8 *w/ Pic* (CptCorN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CptCorN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dunno anything about rings either.... mine are from a 95 sol. Only real work i had to do was bend the wire.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So maybe Katman modded the seats then? I don't know. All I know is that they're on, and I love them.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:39 AM
JRl

hehe those seats look funny not in a del Sol...