Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX.

Okay, here is the deal, i've already done the fast honda thing, and at this point in my life, i'm really just looking to save as much money as possible and become debt free, then to get back into cars on my own terms.

The bad thing is, I cannot help working on cars, I love it. My goal now is to make my 92 CX one of the most efficient ones ever.

1st step: I'm going to equip my CX with a VX rear diffuser, if you don't know what it is, it's a piece of plastic that seals up the rear of the car, creating less drag, therefore adding efficiency.

2nd step: 10 gallon fuel tank, yeah i know, it's going to increase the weight of the car significantly, but my main goal is to get the added range. I'm looking for 50 mpg and remain with the stock motor, 500 mile range, that is what i want.

3rd step: vx wheels, kyb gr2's, tein s techs. A tiny bit of lowering for increased drag efficiency + i just need new suspension. The VX wheels are of course the lightest available wheels, I may settle for HX's as VX's are incredibly hard to find. I'd really like to get the 13's to keep the uniform super econo styling.

4th step: possibly VX swap, with wide band and vafc. This is of course only if I get good deals on the stuff, I'm quite sure with this and some minor lightening of the car, I can get it down to 50 mpg.

well, i hope everyone will keep their fingers crossed, it's going to be some work, but I plan on doing this with full interior, front and rear seats, rear panels, A/C, etc.

I already took the carpet out because it was blue and ghetto.

thx.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone else has advice, i'm dying for it.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (Plan B)

oh and since people only read threads with pictures, here is one of a VX diffuser on a car.

thanks to nerdsports, i can take it down if you wish
Old 01-18-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (Plan B)

A post with encite and originality in the EG+ forum? who would have thunk it.

for an interesting idea.

Tune it down to run off the fumes.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, cool, i hadn't even noticed that my car has a rear diffuser.....vx swap seems like the most efficient swap for your intentions.....vtec-e is awsome, i got 40mpg all the time in the streets
Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres some advice: give it GRANNY ACCELERATION, go low rpm on hwy :-) like you didnt know that already

Old 01-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (Plan B)

Old 01-18-2004, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to over-inflate tires when taking long trips in my college days. Not exactly a mechanical tip, but it did help with fuel economy. You'd have to watch really closely for uneven tire wear though.

Edit: Mind the allowable inflation range of the tire
Old 01-18-2004, 09:36 PM

I've noticed that when cars first put on a free flowing air intake and straight through exhaust, their MPG goes up a bit.

Maybe put together a DIY Cai and weld on a straight through Magnaflow muffler. It would still be fairly quiet.

also, keep those front diffuser panels that are up front.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much does that rear defussor help? ive often wondered why honda left that side of the bumper open like it is on my SI hatch.. im sure you can make something out of sheet metal if someone was not able to find a rear defussor...
Old 01-18-2004, 09:38 PM

want some really crazy gas milage! Swap in honda hybrid motor!! Haha

But, about the VX rims, do you happen to have the weight? Why not get rotas? Also, you should consider the honda hybrid rims. They are also 13s and believe it or not, those wheels and tires were made to save gas on the car. The tires are considered "low resistance" tires. You should look into it.

Also, dunno if it would help on drag that much, but what about a front lip? Also you got the factory spoiler on?

One more thing, doesn't getting an exhaust improve your gas milage a bit?

Modified by BallHawk3 at 6:58 AM 1/19/2004
Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 PM
I really don't know

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (BallHawk3)

Dont VX motors get almost 50mpg on the highway stock?

Thats what i always figured.

I used to get 40mpg, but unfortunately i only get 30 something now

Old 01-18-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (JDM EK9)

wow i like this thread. for going against the grain.

have you considered modifiying the gearing and final drive? i'm not sure if there is any room for improvment, but low rpms will always mean better gas mileage. also, weight is your enemy as always, and proper tire pressure with proper rotation will enhance your mpg as well. i'll try to think of some more ideas.

good luck, and if you figure anything else out let us know; i'm sure we could all benefit.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (jwn7)

interesting idea let us know the details...
Old 01-18-2004, 10:50 PM

brian-- only you man. Soon enough I'll have a set of bilsteins that Im nt going to need. Some coil overs(v-spec?) too if you might need them.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18bEG)

I think i'm doing the gas tank tomorrow. I'll take pics.

Also, yeah, i would love to have some insight rims, whatever comes along first i suppose.

This is most definetly a practice trying to do things the most economically, so expensive fixes like rotas are out of the question, I would have to drive tens of thousands of miles to make up the expense.

But tomorrow, $25 gas tank and free lift time = good results.

I'll post up soon.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Plan B)

Oh yeah, the VX piece is $38 new from honda. I suggest finding your own clips and such to install, as those are retardedly expensive.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

couldn't he just slap the vx head on his cx motor? like and econo-minime? or am i missing something here?
Old 01-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get some sheet metal.... put the car on a lift.. make the whole bottom of the car flat... muahahaha. from front bumper to back bumper to side skirts. that would be awesome. hmmm.. fiber glass a cone nose on the front bumper to decrease COD. you need skinnier tires too, like 175-185 series. make some covers for the rear to cover up the rear wheels, like on the honda hybrid car.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (inline4)

wont the vx rims (being 13's) have less rotating area (or something) making them spin more to achieve a certain rpm/mph??? so in turn u'll be at a higher rpm which will mean more fuel obviously. i believe bauley civic mentioned that running vx rims is like having a shorter final drive. if that is so, then you're just gonna use more rpms per w/e mph ure in.... i believe i said it right, if not... can someone elaborate??

as for the pic, no problem! trying to help
Old 01-19-2004, 12:11 AM

i love it. what a welcome change and money saving idea. i have vx rims currently on my hatch. if the time comes where u decide u definately want to go that route, PM me. hopefully then ill be willing to sell. id feel special helping a retro project ;]. good luck!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (nerdsports)

i/h/e

when you increase the horsepower of an engine, you are also increasing it's effeciency, how well it uses the gas you're giving it.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX. (nerdsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wont the vx rims (being 13's) have less rotating area (or something) making them spin more to achieve a certain rpm/mph??? so in turn u'll be at a higher rpm which will mean more fuel obviously. i believe bauley civic mentioned that running vx rims is like having a shorter final drive. if that is so, then you're just gonna use more rpms per w/e mph ure in.... i believe i said it right, if not... can someone elaborate??

as for the pic, no problem! trying to help </TD></TR></TABLE>

it all depends on what tire size he gets.
he can get the smaller VX rims, but to keep his rpm/mph ratio the same, he has to get a taller tire. most likely move to a 65 series or higher tire.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:31 AM

I never knew about that vx diffuser, might have to try and pick one up for myself!
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a stock cx motor do 40mpg @ 85mph... i always thought the stock CX tank was 10gal.... atleast mine is (never filled more than 9.5gal, with the needle past empty ) arnt dx/si tanks 11.9 gal?

Quick Reply: Reverse Thinking: How to get better fuel economy from a civic CX.