Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Reverse Light Issues - K-swap 1997 Civic LX 5-speed

Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Reverse Light Issues - K-swap 1997 Civic LX 5-speed

Hello all,

This is my first real post as I'm mostly just a lurker as all of my questions have been answered up to this point... So, my problem is that my reverse lights do not work. The car is a factory 5-speed so it doesn't have anything to do with an auto conversion. I have swapped in a jdm K24A and I'm using an EP3 Si trans. I have verified that the reverse switch on the trans works, the harness gets power, the fuse is good, and I have traced the wires for the reverse lights through the entire car and have not came across any obvious breaks or issues. I do know that there is no power at the harness where it connects to the trunk/package tray harness, meaning that it has to be between the fuse box and the plug next to the rear driver side door. I have yet to take the fuse box out, but I suppose that's the next thing on my list. I'm just hoping that someone will have another suggestion or an idea that I have missed.

If this has been answered, I promise I have not found it, it's been two weeks of searching and experimenting and I'm frustrated like no other...

Thank you guys in advance,
Adam

I should also throw in that everything else on the car seems to work fine, including the taillights.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reverse Light Issues - K-swap 1997 Civic LX 5-speed

Power should be at the back-up lights at ALL times when the key is turned on.What illuminates the back-up lights is the ground wire when summoned. This occurs when the reverse switch is closed. So, first you will need to check and verify the continuity between ground and the rear back-up light plugs. Also, make sure that there is 12v+ on the other wire of the plug/socket.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:40 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

the K swap harness should already have the reverse light wire. Check for blown fuses.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 View Post
Power should be at the back-up lights at ALL times when the key is turned on.What illuminates the back-up lights is the ground wire when summoned. This occurs when the reverse switch is closed. So, first you will need to check and verify the continuity between ground and the rear back-up light plugs. Also, make sure that there is 12v+ on the other wire of the plug/socket.
I'll check for continuity between the ground and plug when I get home from work but the engine harness gets 12.3V on the power wire for the switch so it's not that.

Originally Posted by NVturbo View Post
the K swap harness should already have the reverse light wire. Check for blown fuses.
That was my first inclination, but I have not found any blown fuses, I've pulled all of them, as far as I know.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the bulbs if you haven't already.

I thought the switch was in the live side of the circuit, and the fuse is the same one that runs the turn signals.

Turn key on, engine not running, shift to reverse, both wires of the reverse switch should be live. If the wire in the trunk is live but not at the sockets, it is likely a broken wire where it crosses from the body of the car to the trunk lid. The sockets also have a ground wire which can break the same way.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Was it working before the swap?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378 View Post
Check the bulbs if you haven't already.

I thought the switch was in the live side of the circuit, and the fuse is the same one that runs the turn signals.

Turn key on, engine not running, shift to reverse, both wires of the reverse switch should be live. If the wire in the trunk is live but not at the sockets, it is likely a broken wire where it crosses from the body of the car to the trunk lid. The sockets also have a ground wire which can break the same way.
I would have to check a wiring schematic, but I am fairly confident that the green/black wire going to the reverse switch on the transmission is part of the green/black GROUND bundle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: