Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

result of bad/cheap gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 10:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: new jersey home of wanna be's posers claimers ricers biters and where everyone fakes the funk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default result of bad/cheap gas?

anyone know what bad gas or cheap gas will do to your car? how do uknow if the gas messed up your car? any ways u can tell your car has crap gas in it?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (NJHatch)

if the car is stock, there shouldnt be anything to really worry about. just dont drive the car too hard til the gas gets low. hopefully you didnt get water with the gas. itll make the engine run shitty. whats your car doing now?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: new jersey home of wanna be's posers claimers ricers biters and where everyone fakes the funk
Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (eK9aT10pSi)

just like sometimes ..like not often sometimes when i punch the gas like in 3rd gear, cuts out like intake sucking noise then i shift to 4th or 5th and its fine again, just like once ina while. like 2 times a day of long driving. i think its from the shitty cumberland gas i had to get bc no other stations where open and i needed gas.damn.i usually run sunoco like 94 octane and i juped to the lowest cumberland with jsut 10 bucks in it. the cumberland is runin out i think.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the engine in your car requires premium, you will have no problems running regular fuel in your car. Keep in mind that when I say that your engine requires premium, this goes for engines that require it from the factory (for instance, all DOHC VTEC engines) as well as those that require it due to modifications (like increased compression, forced induction, or even just very advanced ignition timing).

As for water in cheap gas, I just don't see how this is possible. Like oil, water and gas just don't mix. The solubility of water in gas is next to nothing.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (StorminMatt)

does switching from high octane and low octane throw the car off?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:54 PM

my wife put some bad gas in her tiburon about a year ago and it blew up one of her spark plug wires (no joke)...pulled out the wire and the boot was split all the way up...obviously the car was running like ****, replaced the wires and it was all good...diagnosis was bad gas (had some water in it or it had just been churned and had a bunch o'**** in it)...bad gas can definately mess some stuff up as well as cause the car to stumble/run like ****
Old 12-24-2004, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (xZeler8)

i put some bad gas in the car ran like ****....

i stick with the shell 91 now
Old 12-25-2004, 01:37 AM

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (MissLady)

why is gas in the U.S. got so low octane number ? And what's the point with my civic manual that this car shouldn't run on anything lower or higher than 95 - 98 octane fuel ?

Old 12-25-2004, 06:49 AM
DTS

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (fliP)

95-98 is probobally the japanease octane rating which is different than the octane rating system in north america,

im not sure what that is equal to but i belive its 89-91? im sure someone here knows
Old 12-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The octane you need depends on knock.

http://www.dynospotracing.com/octane.htm
Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (f1z1c)

bump,thanks for the info guys
Old 12-25-2004, 10:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (f1z1c)

ttt good info!
Old 12-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to run 93 octane in my d16y8 all the time since i got the car thinking it would be better for it. I just recently switched to 87 and my gas milege went way up.
I used to get around 260 per tank. Now with the 87 i get 290-300
Old 12-25-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (willyboyD16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by willyboyD16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i used to run 93 octane in my d16y8 all the time since i got the car thinking it would be better for it. I just recently switched to 87 and my gas milege went way up.
I used to get around 260 per tank. Now with the 87 i get 290-300</TD></TR></TABLE>

really? i found it to be the other way around...

i put 81 in once (being cheap) and i only got roughly 230 miles and it ran like ****...

i went back to the 91 and i got 312 miles and it ran smooth as butta.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (MissLady)

Premium is better to run in anything b/c of adavnces in ignition timing and volatility of the fuel
Old 12-25-2004, 12:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (hott95eg)

good point
Old 12-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (hott95eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hott95eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Premium is better to run in anything b/c of adavnces in ignition timing and volatility of the fuel</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish people would stop posting this stuff, it's completely incorrect. Premium fuel is harder to burn, how is that good for a car that's not designed for it?

And to answer the original question, your car has a knock sensor, you aren't gonna hurt anything.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: result of bad/cheap gas? (Falqon)

my car is obd1 ,i thought obd1 doesnt have a knock sensor. i have a y8 in it but running all obd1 with a p28
Old 12-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Global Moderator

Can low octane effect your valves?

Example: Valve noise when bogging the motor.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In the summer i live in michigan and theres a gas station 1/2 mile from my house that sells 100 octane GOOD ****!
Old 12-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NJHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car is obd1 ,i thought obd1 doesnt have a knock sensor. i have a y8 in it but running all obd1 with a p28</TD></TR></TABLE>

My ODB1 b16 has a knock sensor, I know that the OBD2 Y8's had knock sensors, maybe yours doesn't. Not really necessary in a low compression engine anyway. Unless you're a moron and have the timing advanced a whole lot, cheap gas isn't going to hut your engine. The symptoms you're describing sure aren't detonation.

Running 94 octane in the first place is going to screw more up.
Old 12-25-2004, 04:26 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jimmy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can low octane effect your valves?

Example: Valve noise when bogging the motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The noise you may hear is called pre-ignition or slight detonation which makes a pinging noise that a lot of people call valve chatter etc... This happens mostly when a car gets older and builds up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers which raises the compression ratio and also tends to ignite the fuel before it's supposed to be ignited by the spark plug. Running premium gets rid of it because it's harder to ignite than a lower octane fuel.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The noise you may hear is called pre-ignition or slight detonation which makes a pinging noise that a lot of people call valve chatter etc... This happens mostly when a car gets older and builds up carbon deposits in the combustion chambers which raises the compression ratio and also tends to ignite the fuel before it's supposed to be ignited by the spark plug. Running premium gets rid of it because it's harder to ignite than a lower octane fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn that's odd..

we just rebuilt my d16z6 head not to long ago.. I'd say maybe 1,000 miles ago.

You think it could still be that?

I may seamfoam dat bish..

Old 12-26-2004, 07:04 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jimmy)

Jimmy, if your engine's doing that and you rebuilt it that short time ago then it's probably not carbon deposits that's causing the problem. I think you mentioned that it makes that sound when you're in a higher gear and lugging the engine? is that right? if so it could be from an overly aggressive timing curve (are you running any engine management like Hondata?) from having your timing possibly to far advanced over stock or you're running fairly high compression in your new engine? What's your setup?
Old 12-27-2004, 09:05 AM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jimmy, if your engine's doing that and you rebuilt it that short time ago then it's probably not carbon deposits that's causing the problem. I think you mentioned that it makes that sound when you're in a higher gear and lugging the engine? is that right? if so it could be from an overly aggressive timing curve (are you running any engine management like Hondata?) from having your timing possibly to far advanced over stock or you're running fairly high compression in your new engine? What's your setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

We put new a whole new head set on..

Setup:

D16Z6
DC Header
DC exhaust
Aem CAI
6.5lb flywheel
ACT hdss clutch kit
VAFC

I don't have a timing light to look at the distributor timing.. but you do think it could be timing?

I don't really have enough mods to **** with my air & fuel so i wouldn't think it would be my setup,etc

Thanks man

Quick Reply: result of bad/cheap gas?