Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Resetting ECU fault for lambda sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting ECU fault for lambda sensor?

Hi all.

Last Saturday my 1996 5 door Civic 1.5 D15Z3 Vtec-E died. Lovely car, 120000 miles and running sweet. Did the usual novice checkup... fuel pump ok, etc, but no spark. ECU fuse fine... to the shop!

The upper Lambda / oxygen sensor is going bad and it the ECU decides to not allow me to turn off car. I don't have the 400 euros the Honda dealer wants me to pay for one, so I ordered one at 1/4th the price from a UK shop a friend recommended me - will take about a week to get here in Spain.

The car is running well but the mechanic at the Honda dealer told me that at any moment the ECU can stop me from starting it again and leave me stranded.

I know how to get to the diagnostics connector behind the glove box... is there any way to 'reset' the ECU so that it allows me to drive until the part arrives and I can the sensor changed?

I've searched the ECU threads on the FAQ, found nothing.

I remember you could bridge some of the cables to show the fault code on the instrument panel - is there a way to erase the fault list to allow me to drive, if this happens again?

Thanks for any help,

Juan Miguel Venturello
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Resetting ECU fault for lambda sensor? (Venturello)

unplugging the ecu or disconnecting the Bat, will reset the ecu.

A bit off topic but how is Barcelona? i was thinking of moving there last summer. Is it true, that the male to female ratio is like 70/30 f/m ? and that the girls are fine as hell? lol.

To show code on the insturment panel is only obd1... 92-95
Old 04-12-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Resetting ECU fault for lambda sensor? (THC07)

Heh, mechanic at shop said 'won´t work'.

When the car died, mechanic at dealership told me that, that the ECU does not allow starting the car because of the oxygen sensor's condition, that all they did was reset the ECU and car started fine. That if ECU decided to do this to me again, I would have to take car back in so that ECU was 'resetted'. I asked him if detaching the battery or fuse was enough (with the tiny bit of car mechanics common sense I have, thought about this), he told me not.

Bull **** or true?

Of course I am not saying he is an authority... for all I know he could be trying to rip me off.

Barcelona is a very cool city. That female ratio thing is not true, its 50-50 as everywhere. Girls are also as everywhere, some fine, some not. I am not keen on Spanish girls, not my type, but many foreigners as well. What´s true is that they are a lot more sexually liberated than the US. Its a nice city to live in if you are ok with a european, urban life style. Hard to own a car, for example (think as in NYC, in Manhattan).

Thanks for the (quick!) reply.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Resetting ECU fault for lambda sensor? (Venturello)

thats BS

im drunk i post more later, thnks fro the info of spain. lol