Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Researching to lower my ek coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Researching to lower my ek coupe

Some people say coilovers, some people say springs... Im unsure which way to go.. Ive rode in cars with coilovers and they are bouncy and stuff and thats not what im going for. I want a normal ride comfort, just lower than stock height.. Im really not looking for the adjust-ability of coilovers cause once its down its probably not going to move.. I just cant afford an arm and a leg on this either which is why I was thinking coilovers may be the way to go..
Any input, product suggestions and photos would help!
Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Researching to lower my ek coupe

if your not racing you dont need coil overs unless your just trying to be cool like all the other guys that spent a ton of money for no reason. just lowering springs are fine.. there are tons of companys to choose from. Tein, H&R, Eibach, are all good. just your choice. i like green so Tein is cool .
Old 06-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

k sport just bought some rides smooth
Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been looking into the Ground Control Coilover sleeve kit... The only thing about the eibach springs is I dont think that will get low enough, and then I will need to cut the springs. Im just wondering how it will ride.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ground controls are great, but not on stock shocks.
Maybe take a look a function&form.
But how much money are we talking here?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man im on the same boat as you, i've been researching to see what shocks/springs are going to give me a low comfortable ride for my 96 civic
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How low do you want to go? Depending on what you go with you will have to sacrifice some comfortability when going with any spring and shock combo or coilover. Normally a coilover with both ride height and dampening force adjustabiliy is the way to go, koni's/groundcontrols is another way as well. I have function and form type 1's(only ride height adjustable) and I DD everywhere potholes galore in my area and they are awesome no complaints whatsoever. It all depends on what you really want out of your suspension setup.

Last edited by jesman1988; 06-14-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Words missing
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a good set up if u dont want coil overs r tein springs with tokico blues.. had them on 2 of my cars and they ride really nice.. if u want to go really low id suggest gettin into the full coilover set up.. shock/spring set up.. i have just the coil over sleeps n i havent found yet a strut that wont blow from me being so low.. just save up ur money n get a good set up.. i really like tein basics.. my friend had them in his 4 door teggy n car rode amazing
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, lookin into tein basic
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im doing more research into this Koni/GC setup people are talking about, I need to lowered but I'm trying to get as smooth as possible, though my roads down here are fairly good 99% of places I go.. But I dont want to take a 3hour drive and it ride horrid!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to decide what you want from the car. Basically the better handling is, the harsher it will be. Not always. But typically you run higher spring rates to reduce roll. This requires more shock damping and results in a harsh ride. The great thing about Koni/GC is the Koni sports can handle up to roughly 500lb or so with ease. They are rebound adjustable, and the GC springs can be bought in varying rates and lengths. I would say start with off the shelf Koni sport(yellow) and GC coils, see how you like it, then go from there.

Im on H&R sport springs and Konis, the H&R are too soft. I was thinking about H&R Race, but I want to be able to fine tune ride height and get different rates, so Im going with GC.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lots of good info.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're basically contradicting everything you say in this thread. You don't want adjustability so you're leaning towards coilovers? You don't want to spend much so you're looking at Koni/GC? Good coilovers and shocks are going to run you more money than a decent set of springs and shocks, most of the time.

Listen, if you don't want the adjustability (which is EXACTLY what coilovers are for) just get springs. If you don't want to spend much, stop looking at the Koni/GC setup. It's not going to make you broke, but it's not cheap either.

Research some shocks on this site that other people have used. Example would be Tokico Blues. Look into different springs, such as H&R, Tein, and so on. You can look and see the height drop on each one that will suit your needs.

There's no point in buying coilovers if you don't plan on using them for what they were designed for.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not contradicting myself, the reason I didnt initially care for coilovers is I'll probably NEVER raise the car once its down. Reason Im not looking at them is because I cant get the level of drop I want with springs, so I have to look at various options.

And as far as spending too much, nothing is too much really, its just a matter of how much time it takes someone to save up to get it. But with research comes knowledge and to go into lowering your car and knowing you always replace struts anyways, why not replace with good ones ( Koni or tokico ) and then just figure out the rest from there..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JPerkMr954
Im not contradicting myself, the reason I didnt initially care for coilovers is I'll probably NEVER raise the car once its down. Reason Im not looking at them is because I cant get the level of drop I want with springs, so I have to look at various options.

And as far as spending too much, nothing is too much really, its just a matter of how much time it takes someone to save up to get it. But with research comes knowledge and to go into lowering your car and knowing you always replace struts anyways, why not replace with good ones ( Koni or tokico ) and then just figure out the rest from there..
I'm just going off of what you stated, and you said you didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. If you'll NEVER raise or lower the car, you do not NEED coilovers. You did ask though, based on certain criteria (lower price, not looking for adjustability, stock ride feel), so I responded accordingly. Springs would suit you best. Have you looked into different spring drops? H&R race is a pretty big drop. You are not going to retain the stock suspension feel if you slam your car with coilovers.

I mean I could care less if you buy coilovers or not. I'm just going off of what you said you wanted, which is what this thread is based on.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didnt take nor try to make my reply anything based on if you care the direction I go, and by no means think I dont appreciate the insight because I do. I just dont know of any reputable brands that offer good drop, because the tein s-tech is only 1.5, the eibach kit is like 1.7 or 1.9 and so im being told I probably want to do 2 inch minimum. If the ride of coils is not a major decrease in comfort, to get the lower stance I'll go that way.
I live in south florida, so it does rain here alot in season and that is the only possible consideration to ever raise it up as we are below sea level and puddles are a problem here (especially with CAI)...
Old 10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

Progress CS2. I hear its the best budget coilover setup.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to give you an idea, the H&R Race springs are -2.5 front -2.3 rear. If you're seriously interested in the Koni/GC setup I highly recommend it if you go with coilovers. Had it on my old ek coupe and it was great.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get some lowering springs as some have stated. Its a good way to go without having to spend too much money. I've got some neuspeed springs and they give me a great comfortable ride for my 99 civic
Old 10-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ground control coilovers and aftermarket shocks. best ever.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How many of these threads are you going to start?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/2000-coupe-budget-suspension-lowering-help-2848427/
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im looking for more input... It doesnt look like im going to be able to go with the koni/gc setup... But since GC is the item of choice I'm going to stick with that and go with different struts. I was told the the koni's need a special sleeve to work with the koni's... What would be a strut slightly cheaper then this setup, paired with gc sleeves that will give about the same ride?