Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings - Page 2 - Honda-Tech

Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings

Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings

I can't speak directly for Honda because I haven't worked for them (I have toured East Liberty, Anna, and Marysville multiple times though) But, I have worked in auto manufacturing for a few years. The vast majority of the marks and tags you find on a production vehicle are just an artifact of process and quality tracking during assembly.

The tags, especially the scannables, can be used to assign a finished QC passed part to an internal production database that (at least for my company) would be mothballed until a quality issue was found. We would also use the tags to track rejects and produce quality documents to track individual parts trough production automatically. At a full car assembly level, individual parts are digitally assigned to the car so it can be identified in a recall or TSB situation.

The hand written marks can vary greatly. Some are simply verification of some visual part check will change as quality issues are discovered or mitigated. Some are just a bored intern doodling on hidden portions of parts

So I guess the point I'm getting at is that I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the random marks you find throughout a car. The vast majority of them are inconsequential.

This is an awesome thread though. It's nice to see people wanting to dig more into the history of Honda production. Production is a really neat thing if you geek out on statistics and efficiency.
Mr. Dabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #27
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a 92 dx hatch that has 46k miles on it. ALOT of paint marks from the factory on it. I'll post pics here soon of them all..
92civicdxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #28
Honda-Tech Member

Quoted from edmunds.com

" A gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) that promised seamless performance and manual-transmission fuel economy was introduced later in the year as an option for the HX. "

"Seemed to have solved my mystery, the hx was originally only sold as a cvt model with a late production run of the manual transmission"

Just wanted to point out the article you quoted is saying the exact opposite of what you said...
SSBP-GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
Honda-Tech Member

Default Stock 99/00 Si spring paint markings

Anyone have a set of STOCK 99/00 Si springs they can verify the factory paint markings on? Best I can tell from the few pictures I found of people selling them are: red & white (fronts) and blue & green (rears). Can anyone confirm? I am looking to buy a used set locally but want to make sure they are what the seller says they are.

Thanks.
tayto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stock 99/00 Si spring paint markings

anyone?
tayto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:11 AM   #31
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBP-GSR View Post
Quoted from edmunds.com

" A gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) that promised seamless performance and manual-transmission fuel economy was introduced later in the year as an option for the HX. "

"Seemed to have solved my mystery, the hx was originally only sold as a cvt model with a late production run of the manual transmission"

Just wanted to point out the article you quoted is saying the exact opposite of what you said...
Pretty sure I quoted edmunds, but if you look at car and driver reviews in early 96 for the hx the only models available for testing were cvt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayto View Post
Anyone have a set of STOCK 99/00 Si springs they can verify the factory paint markings on? Best I can tell from the few pictures I found of people selling them are: red & white (fronts) and blue & green (rears). Can anyone confirm? I am looking to buy a used set locally but want to make sure they are what the seller says they are.

Thanks.
No clue. I think the fronts on my hx were yellow and the backs were white

And yes from what the plant said markings were only to distinguish quality control checks. Most likely my old 96 failed one of the final inspections as it came off of the line and they assigned a technician to verify all major components as he went though the car on the lift. So the tech would have marked major items explaining the 26/26 on the hood scriplbbles to verify major items checked and passed. Usually these items are immediately removed and cleaned off by the dealer when they received the car and prepped for sale so it was very unique that mine had ALL of them intact at 300k miles lol

The stampings on the shock tower were plant assigned, after 96 they went to a global schematic and no cars received any chassis stampings because it was not in the blue prints for the towers any more

Still very interesting to know there were different markings for different models. I know the spring rates are.different on auto cars vs manual cars

Last edited by chrysler kid; 05-16-2016 at 03:32 PM.
chrysler kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #32
Honda-Tech Member

Junk yard shopping again, there were no 92-95 cars (and honestly I'm not too familiar with their markings, but I was able to see more ID stamps on the 96 cars specifically

The red 96 possibly 97 civic hx with stampings and had the same grease pen markings on its suspension parts, front and rear spindles

The silver 96 hatch was completely gutted but very straight. It was in the back of the lot under a tree, possibly an employee putting it out of the way to build later

Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #33
Honda-Tech Member

Alright here's a new one to me, 1997 civic hx California spec, assembled 10/96 has one stamp with a 6 on each shock tower. Along the frame rail by the fenders on both sides is a stamping 1001, asuing a 10/01/96 date.

Technically it's a 96 assembled for 97 California emissions

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-09-2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #34
Honda-Tech Member

My black 97 hx coupe has the stamps on the shock tower, where as my 96 build California emissions hx has the stampings under the fenders

Old 11-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #35
Honda-Tech Member

With my 92 dx and 95 si hatchbacks both made in Canada I can say:
- No date stamps in front towers
- I've never seen this hand written grease pen stuff anywhere.
- Markings I've seen are two color dots on springs, single letter white stamp with a single dot of color next to it on trailing arms, bar code stickers on the covers of rear brake discs (behind discs). Upper rear control arms do have white stamp with "UP" in the center of it, as earlier pictured. White lettering stamps on rear shocks, and yellow pen lines at all four upper shock nuts.

As a honda guy gettting older I can dig this thread.
Stealthmode Performance is offline   Reply With Quote