Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings

Hello all, I found no result for this search on this sites forums but I am looking to see if you all have encountered any unique manufacturer markings done during assembly of your Honda vehicle.

I am glassy eyed in my approach to Honda vehicles from the 90's as I do believe they will one day be very coveted cars since everyone in my generation had one in highschool, which is why there are so few clean chassis left.

My civic hx has grease pen markings on the under side of the hood and on the gas tank under the car. The hood on my vehicle is the factory unit as it still retains all stickers, the car still has the factory Honda headlights and Honda front bumper (and they all have matching paint and matching hail damage.)

In 1997 and newer cars they went away from the grease pen markings, but still used colored grease pens on suspension parts

On 1997 and newer cars they adopted vin number labels to identify cars to their parts as the went down the assembly line. To find the location of factory labels to determine if your car is original see here
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...start-3288303/
Please post up if you have seen any grease pen markings or stampings you have found in your vehicles that could have seen done on the assembly line. Maybe one day we can look back and see restorations done down to these grease pen markings

As best I can tell on car made in or before 1996 had these markings from the liberty plant in Ohio. In 1997 Honda developed a six sigma computer program to implement global quality control from standard assembly blue prints, and before 1997 cars were made using an approved stamping sent by Honda to the manufacturers plant

Under side of the hood

On my shock tower

Drivers side fender

On my drivers side rear lower control arm

No idea what the A stands for, it is one the gas tank and rear shocks and B is on the front shocks*

I would also like to see some window stickers and the dimensions. Here is one I found online

Last edited by chrysler kid; 11-14-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:13 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Requested: Honda assembly plant manufacturer markings

I'll sticky this for a limited time to see if you get responses.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings

Thank you sir.

I spent a few hours image searching for anything related to manufacturer markings, assembly markings, inspector markings and had no results.

Maybe my car just rolled off the line at an odd time and was the last car in the 96 line up, or last car on a friday. Hoping others can shed light on it
Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have emailed the assembly plant in Ohio to verify however I believe my car was one of the last 96 models to be assembled on the line.

The build date on my hx is may of 1996
Old 03-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Factory was of little help, but said markings were used only to distinguish part line up changes or for secondary inspection approval. My control arm has a serial number on it and the marking was most likely to keep serial numbers correct by year

So I am under the assumption with a may of 96 build date my car was one of the last to roll off the line as a us spec 96 model

There are no sales figures for the 96 honda civic, if some one could find the sales figures for 96 it would identify if my serial number (the number at the end of the vin ) was one of the last produced

Also I assume this is common but my chassis has the build date stamped on both shock towers

Old 03-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Well, it's still pretty cool that you got a response from the mfr plant!!!!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to call and they really didn't seem to understand why I wanted information on the assembly of a 96 civic (especially since the plant doesn't make civics anymore) but they took my info and said they would contact me back. I had a line supervisor call me and explain their quality control. Most markings are removed after the last qc inspection, if any were found. He was suprised to hear I had several parts with markings but couldn't offer any insight as to why they remained on my car.

If I understand the vin sequence correctly my car was number 54,380 built that year which would sound about right if I could find a 1996 us sales figure for the honda civic

I know to most "tuners" this thread is pointless, but it is getting harder and harder to find clean 92-99 civics as their value is less than the sum of their parts, making most of them end up in a junk yard

I can forsee a day where we are in our 60's and see clean unmolested cars bringing good money.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever check your VIN to make sure it was made in Ohio and not Canada? I had a 96 and found out it was made in Canada, They didn't start making them in Ohio until the completion of their East Liberty Plant I believe. Numbers/ chicken scratch shouldn't be visible accept on electronics.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The control arm is likely a replacement, like the spring beside it. Honda wouldn't need to mark what year the part is with a big white marker. The run one model a year, and even so parts are organized and marked in the container they are in not on the part. The only parts that you would typically find with any markings is usually electronics that Honda doesn't make in house. But with the 96 being the first model year of the 6th generation for Civics. The yellow markings are possibly a certain type of double check on certain parts for whatever reason. That could explain the yellow marks on the parts. Someone might have had to check parts after the car was put together. They checked /marked and then under the hood would be the persons badge/clock #, date of check and # for some reason numbered parts. Hope I helped.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vin states L for liberty plant.

I'll check the serial number on the drivers side rear control arm and post a picture of it. How do you know the spring has been replaced?

I appreciate any info, the hood markings are what made me curious. Figured I would see if anyone else has found anything similar

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-07-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have inspected a few other civics and did not find stamping numbers on the shock towers.

Mine can't be the only one to have a chassis stamp, anyone have those stampings as well?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i havent seen any on mine.. Ive been allover that SOB

I do know my 99 EJ8 was produced in 11/98 as theres stamping all over.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
i havent seen any on mine.. Ive been allover that SOB

I do know my 99 EJ8 was produced in 11/98 as theres stamping all over.
Which stampings, just the one on the vin sticker?
Old 03-15-2015, 01:04 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I found one on my rocker arm assembly when I was doing my valve seals and valve adjustment.

I should have taken a picture but I didn't even think of it. Next time I have my valve cover off, I will wipe off the spot with the permanent marker writing and take a pic and post it here.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My head castings are more pronounced than other vehicles.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-09-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drivers side fender stampings, can't tell if Japanese or Chinese.

Edit**** This is a Chinese replacement fender

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-09-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All civics in 96 should have tower stamps, my chucked scratch under the hood is likely from a failed quality test at the end of the assembly line

The number 76/76 most likely symbolizes the qc checks the vehicle passed through on the assembly line to approve its construction. The extra markings just to purely ensure the first model in the process line is receiving the correct parts as it moves through the line. A on the gas tank to pass under side inspection, marking on the arm to symbolize rear drum and suspension, marking on the hood to show passing engine check. I would bet if it pulled the carpet or dash I cold find inspector markings there as well for electrical and interior qc inspection

The symbols on my fender cross back to a company in Taiwan. Most likely a very early recreation of a factory part with no indication of being oem, or perhaps just outsourced as oem replacement licensed through Honda, or more likely a cheap aftermarket fender to replace an old dented factory fender

Quoted from edmunds.com

1996-2000
A revamped Civic lineup debuted for 1996. The new body featured larger light clusters fore and aft, a grille (chrome-accented on sedans) and a crisp character line that ran the length of the car. Hatchbacks now had the 103.2-inch wheelbase of the coupes and sedans, and overall length was up around 2 to 4 inches, depending on body style.

Sedans were again offered in DX, LX and EX trim levels. A new coupe, the HX, joined the DX and EX coupes. The HX coupe essentially replaced the VX hatchback, offering high mileage figures from a fairly powerful engine. The revised VTEC-E engine (now at 1.6 liters) in the HX put out 23 more horsepower (for a total of 115 ponies) than the previous version but now "only" scored mileage figures of 39 in the city and 45 on the highway. A gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) that promised seamless performance and manual-transmission fuel economy was introduced later in the year as an option for the HX. The hatchback lineup was trimmed down to two models, the CX and DX. A new 1.6-liter 106-horsepower engine that earned Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) certification powered the CX, DX and LX, and a slightly more powerful 127-horsepower VTEC-assisted version was found in the EX models.

Excluded from the redesign, the del Sol was now in its fourth year and got a host of tweaks to keep it current. The base model (S) got the new 1.6-liter 106-horse engine fitted to the new Civic, Si models got the beefier suspension of the VTEC, and all versions got a freshened front fascia.

In 1997, all Civics came with 14-inch wheels, DX models got full wheel covers, the LX sedan received air conditioning and, strangely, EX coupes with manual transmissions no longer had the option of antilock brakes. As this would be the last year for the del Sol, Honda made no changes.

Not much happened in 1998, save for new wheel covers, an exterior handle for hatchbacks and the addition of map lights.

From Hondas own world history civic production page suggesting production "kits" I assume meaning assembly guides and specifications for models. After 97 the production was done electronically ensuring seamless conformity

Through 1996, worldwide production figures are the total of Japanese production (CBU+CKD) plus exports of knockdown kits.
From 1997 onward, these figures are calculated on an off-production-line basis, excluding domestic production (CBU+CKD) and overseas production (CKD).

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-09-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Which stampings, just the one on the vin sticker?
The one which sticks out in my mind is on the strut pillar. theres others on the door frame and I think I saw one inside the trunk area..

But no grease pen markings. Even on the gas tank.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
The one which sticks out in my mind is on the strut pillar. theres others on the door frame and I think I saw one inside the trunk area..

But no grease pen markings. Even on the gas tank.
Can you post a pic of your shock tower stampings, and the first 6 of vin if that's possible

Here is my passengers side rear lower control arm serial number, the drivers side is tucked behind the tire

Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would also like to request window stickers, and measurements

Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the opportunity to view a 96 dx with a zc swap and the date code on his shock towers were upside down except for the day. So the 4 was upside down and the 28 was right side up and the 96 was upside down

Can anyone with shock tower stampings please post pics of them
Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

I believe this is factory markings on the crank main cap girdle on a D15B7 pulled from a 95 CDM CX Hatchback EH2.

Name:  20150709_200840.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  383.2 KB

Last edited by TomCat39; 08-10-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Optimize Pics
Old 07-11-2015, 06:34 PM
Hysterically Calm

95 D15B7 Crank markings:

Attachment 398158
Attachment 398159
Attached Images   

Last edited by TomCat39; 08-10-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Optimized pics
Old 08-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice, those look legit to me. The crank is probably an indication of the balancing it took during production. Must have been a pretty low mile motor to be so Clean

Also not sure if this is unique or not but it is a production/assembly markings

Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Nice, those look legit to me. The crank is probably an indication of the balancing it took during production. Must have been a pretty low mile motor to be so Clean

Also not sure if this is unique or not but it is a production/assembly markings

over 274,000 Kilometers before teardown. Copper showing on the rod bearings.

Not really low miles but probably decent oil change servicing most of it's life.

Quick Reply: Requested: Honda Assembly Plant Manufacturing Markings