Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing Wiper Switch? ('95 Honda Civic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Wiper Switch? ('95 Honda Civic)

Car: 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe

The spring-like tension on the windshield wiper arm switch has gone limp. Normally you bend the arm forward to get water to squirt on the windshield then the arm springs back; or you lower the arm to get the wiper blades to move (instead of turning the **** at the end of the arm for continuous wiper action) and the arm springs back up. Now when you move the arm, it pretty much stays where you move it.

Is there any adjustment (like turning a screw) that can be made?

Or does the wiper switch need to be replaced?

If replacement is needed, is it an easy job (requiring only a Phillips screwdriver and minimal skill)?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Wiper Switch? (tj2133)

Its very easy to do and no there are no adjustments possible.

Just remove the steering wheel column covers (3 phillips screws) and then undo the two phillips screws holding it on. Chi-ching, done.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Replacing Wiper Switch? (tj2133)

Thanks to EG2Driver for the reply.

Here's my experience:

I just replaced my wiper switch, and it was easy but tricky (only took me, a novice, 25 minutes). It will probably go a lot smoother for you after reading my post because I'm including info I didn't find elsewhere.

Tools used: Phillips screwdriver, small flathead screwdriver and pliers.

First you have to remove the steering column cover (top and bottom). Remove three screws located at the bottom cover. Now the cover should move around a bit but it still needs to be separated. The cover is latched together by plastic interlocking clips (you can't see them from the outside) located at center points on both left and right sides. I forced the cover apart (because I didn't know about the clips) and broke one of the clips, but it wasn't a big deal because when I screwed it back together everything held together tightly. To remove the cover with more ease, try adding inner pressure on the bottom cover at center points on the left and right sides, that might help release the clips. If that doesn't do much for you, just force it apart like I did.

With the cover off, you can see the entire wiper switch assembly. There are two screws that hold it in place; remove them. Now you might think that the switch should just slide out (pulling it to the right), but it won't budge. HERE'S THE TRICK! In-between the two screws is a small hole (no relevance to us); to the left of that hole is another small hole that holds the wiper switch in place (the switch itself has a very small nub that fits in the hole); take a small flathead screwdriver and lift the piece of plastic in-between the two small holes and pull the switch to the right (it should slide right out). It took me forever to figure this out, and it's the one thing nobody ever mentions!

With the switch out of the holder and still connected to a bunch of wires, pull it down below the key ignition area so that it will be easier to disconnect the wire plug (it'll take just a little force to stretch the wires backwards and then downwards). With pliers (or your fingers if you can apply enough pressure) push together the top of the plastic wire plug (unlocking it) and pull it out of the switch (should be easy). Now just reattach your replacement switch ($8 at my local U PICK THE PART salvage yard, $50-$75 quoted from a regular junk yard for the combo-switch [blinker/wiper], or $30-$40 on Ebay) and reinstall in reverse order.

If you're like me, someone who does minimal car work (only changing oil/filter and spark plugs), this job is certainly in your skill zone. And if a mechanic tells you that you need to change the whole combo-switch (blinker & wiper), he/she is just misinformed about this particular Honda Civic model.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Wiper Switch? ('95 Honda Civic)

Thank you for figuring this out. I just finished swapping out wiper switch cuz of the following problem. Now wiper switch works good.

Similar to the 1st post anytime I hit a bump my wipers would turn on. So my temporary fix was a crumbled piece of paper which prevented it from turning on after hitting a pot-hole.