Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing the rings on my ls/vtec

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the rings on my ls/vtec

OK what happened was my car was running real shitty, so i decided to do a compression test and the results were all cylinder read 220 on the meter except cylinder 4 read 60, so i decided to take the head off and take it to the machine shop to chec if it had bent valves, when i picked up the head they told me the valve werent bad but a few didn't sit right so i fixed them all, now before i put the head back on i think that it was more than likely to be my piston rings. Now my question is do i need to replace the bearings? DO i need to do anything to the block or can i just pull the pistons replace the rings and put them right back in? Any tips will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrAiNdEaD247)

rehoning the cylinder walls after new piston rings. I would replace wiht new crankseals and bearings. Do it right, dont think wiht blinders on.

Spend the couple hundred dollars to do it right and do it yourself. It's not that hard.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what you are saying is that i should re-do the whole bottom end
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (h8ted ek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h8ted ek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rehoning the cylinder walls after new piston rings. I would replace wiht new crankseals and bearings. Do it right, dont think wiht blinders on.

Spend the couple hundred dollars to do it right and do it yourself. It's not that hard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would probably be the rigth way to do it.

It certainly is not the way I would do it though, I'd slap the rings in their and call it a day :-\ Or at least since you have the motor pulled apart just put it back together and do a compression test...then let it sit...if the ring is leaking it'll loose vacuum over time (and if it's blown it'll loose vacuum vey quickly). Better to be safe than sorry with the rings, if it sits for 30 min and hasn't dropped, throw it back in.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Re: (BrAiNdEaD247)

Just use a dingle ball hone to touch the cylendar walls up, It like resurfacing rotors when you do your brakes. Not nessesary, but its the right way. And I would replace all the bearings that you take apart. Although It wouldn't be a bad idea to check every thing else out while you are down there. just be careful not to nick the bearings or were they meet up to any thing. Also make sure you have the torque numbers and sequence specs.