Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!!

Hope these are self explanatory pictures but if not ill give short summary since im in the middle of doing this project as we speak... Did rear disc swap on my coupe an the e-brake cables were to short that came with the supposed GSR swap... So like everyone on here said to do "not mocking anyone" buy some 95 civic ex/si rear disc brake cables.. Well I did an from what I can tell, they're not gonna work... The cables on there have a pin that goes through the hole on the end of the cable, the new cables i just got dont have any pin and sorta look like they are for drum brakes...???

Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (JDM_SOHC)

::BuMp:: for 23 more people to lo0k n give it a shot....
Old 02-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what year ex cable did you get? they have 2 cables.

one for the 92-93 ex which came with drums, then the later 94-95 ex which came with rear disc brakes.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (philosofy1)

i ordered them for rear disc brakes but i looked and its the same part number for rear drum parks...???
Old 02-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you need ot order rear disc cables from an EX Civic w/ABS. Thise are the ones that came with rear disc brakes.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe you need ot order rear disc cables from an EX Civic w/ABS. Thise are the ones that came with rear disc brakes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i meant to ask... even though my DX doesnt have ABS do i have to order the cables for ABS..??
Old 02-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BuMp FoR nO E-brAkE i MaY DiE iF u DoNt HeLp Me..!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BuMp FoR OnLy WanTiNg To Kno iF i OrDer CaBLes For ABS whEn i DoNt haVe ABS..?!?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BuMp FoR tHe PeOpLe aT NiGhT TiMe BeiNg SmaRtEr..!!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason why you order ones for abs is because only civics with abs came with rear disc. as of non abs didn't come with rear disc. No matter if it was EX or LX. Just because you car is non abs doesn't mean you can't use abs parts. that's why when you ordered your new ebrake cable. They gave you drum cables because you probably said non abs. Yes, the first picture is drum cables. If you have integra ebrake cable they should work. try loosening the ebrake adjuster under the center console were the cables connect too. it should be a 12mm nut in the middle. adjust it all the way down and go from there.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 95 EX sedan, it came with ABS brakes. Now I just did a total brake swap from my 93 SI to my 92 hatchback and the second photo that you have look just like my rear brakes that are now on my 92 DX. They probably give you the wrong cables. ABS or not, the Emergency cables have nothing to do with ABS. Tell the idiots that gave you the wrong thing to give you the right one this time. Make sure you tell them that you want the cables for a EX coupe with disc brakes and if they ask you, with abs? just say yes. Sometimes they have idiots working in front of the stores that whatever the comptuter in front of them says thats what they will give you, you ask for a e brake cable if by mistake the computer tells them radiator I swear they will bring you one.
One quick question, Are you sure that the cable is not backwards? If you only have the cables the one with the opening that you sopposed to put a pin thru it like the one showing on the sencond and third picture goes to the caliper side, the one that has a solid piece at the end the size of a 1/4 inch goes to the E brake handle. Just so we clear on that, you never know!!

http://www.clubcivic.com/board...jecto
this link will show you my swap, not sure if you can see the caliper and the e brake cable in one of the pictures.

Modified by Boricuanology at 6:51 PM 2/11/2007
Old 02-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (shyboi4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason why you order ones for abs is because only civics with abs came with rear disc. as of non abs didn't come with rear disc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Don't know whats the story on 94-95 SI models but my 93 SI has rear disc brakes and It didn't came with ABS thou. don't know for the coupe and the sedan with rear disc, if only those models with rear disc brakes apply only to the ones with ABS.

Modified by Boricuanology at 7:12 PM 2/11/2007
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boricuanology)

yeah i loosened the ebrake adjuster all the way down an it still is about 2 inches short of the cables lol... shitty i know, but another question i have is whats the difference in del sol n gsr rear disc brakes??? someone said something to me like "maybe u have to order for a del sol" an i kinda laughed at him but than second guessed, any feedback on that???? an yeah boricua i done all that **** an im still gettin all the wrong ends... but i guess ill just tell'm abs than
Old 02-11-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

i have del sol rear disc but not the ebrake cables. i ordered ebrakes for an integra and they fit on my 94 hatch. I chose not to get the del sol ebrake cable because i wasn't sure if it would fit. In my opinion i don't think del sol would fit because the body is shorter than civic as we have rear seats. so i think del sol would be shorter.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (Boricuanology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boricuanology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't know whats the story on 94-95 SI models buy my 93 SI has rear disc brakes and It didn't came with ABS thou. don't know for the coupe and the sedan with rear disc, if only those models with rear disc brakes apply only to the ones with ABS.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, 92-95 SI came with rear disc standard.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (shyboi4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
While we are it,Yes, 92-95 SI came with rear disc standard.</TD></TR></TABLE>
did any of the SI came with abs? also anybody know if 94-95 Si came with bigger front brakes than 92-93 SI? 93 SI came with 9.4" rotors up front.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (Boricuanology)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boricuanology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did any of the SI came with abs? also anybody know if 94-95 Si came with bigger front brakes than 92-93 SI? 93 SI came with 9.4" rotors up front.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I believe some models did have abs (optional from factory) on 94-95 models but is very rare. 94-95 si w/ abs did come with bigger brakes 10.2" I believe.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you order OEM lines? They don't look OEM. Drum and disc brake cables are different. All Si's came with rear discs regardless of ABS.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what year ex cable did you get? they have 2 cables.

one for the 92-93 ex which came with drums, then the later 94-95 ex which came with rear disc brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My 95 EX came with drums...
Old 02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (SoCal EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My 95 EX came with drums...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only EX ABS came with rear discs, which included all 92-95 EX sedans
Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!! (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Only EX ABS came with rear discs, which included all 92-95 EX sedans</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok so id order my cables for a 95 civic ex with abs, even though it doesnt say rear disc that means since its ABS its for rear disc cuz drums werent available with ABS right..?? I just wanna be 100% before I order the wrong part again. And yeah they say OEM Replacement on the screen when I order them..
Old 02-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok so id order my cables for a 95 civic ex with abs, even though it doesnt say rear disc that means since its ABS its for rear disc cuz drums werent available with ABS right..?? I just wanna be 100% before I order the wrong part again. And yeah they say OEM Replacement on the screen when I order them.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Jus order from a 94-01 Integra to be on the same side if ABS and non-ABS part numbers are the same for the store you picked them up at.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Jus order from a 94-01 Integra to be on the same side if ABS and non-ABS part numbers are the same for the store you picked them up at.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2dr or 4 dr????
Old 02-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2-door.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2-door.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there warehouse was out of stock for any integra ones with or w/o ABS so I ordered them for a 95 civic ex with abs "the EX and SI were infact the same part numbers" for one kind anyways... Than did some research and found out that the civic cables W/O ABS were indeed the same part number as rear brake cables for any 92-95 civic with drum brakes.. So the whole ABS thing is true, if u need cables for disc's make sure you order them for a civic WITH ABS.... I'll be posting pic's once they arrive cuz im gonna do a small write-up for some extra credit lol...

Quick Reply: Replacing Parking Brake Cables, have problem..!!