Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing lower ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing lower ball joint

Is it hard or even possible to replace the lower ball joint with the knuckle on the car?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn
Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replacing lower ball joint

Not possible. You have to press the lower joint out and the axle is in the way. You can get the tie rod end link, upper and lower joints loose with just a couple whacks of a hammer to the side of the knuckle if you know where to hit it. Otherwise a pitman arm puller, 1/2" drive Craftsman wrench, jack and jack stand are great. DON"T USE A PICKLE FORK unless you want to trash the boots on the joints.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I was trying to replace my axles. I used a tool to pop the lower ball joints from the lower control arm from my EK Coupe It distorted the threads and the crown nut won't go on easily. I didn't have this problem last time when I replaced the axles. Good thing I just bought a EK Hatch from my friend for a backup car.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwl
Thanks, I was trying to replace my axles. I used a tool to pop the lower ball joints from the lower control arm from my EK Coupe It distorted the threads and the crown nut won't go on easily. I didn't have this problem last time when I replaced the axles. Good thing I just bought a EK Hatch from my friend for a backup car.
The lower ball joints have been a source of constant frustration over the years with my road race civic. It seems like every precaution I take to try to protect the integrity of the threads on the ball joint, or pop it from the control arm without destroying the boot usually ends up in a trip to the my local dealer to replace something.

I've found if you apply a thin layer of anti-seize to the non-threaded shaft that seats in the control arm, it makes it so much easier to pop the arm loose with a pitman arm tool. As an earlier poster said, don't use a pickle fork, but they work great if it's really fighting you, and you're okay with replacing the boot (which isn't very expensive or very hard to do).

As for removing the ball joint from the knuckle without removing the knuckle from the car? Possible, I guess, if you pop the ball joint end from the control arm, remove the axle spindle nut and swing the bottom of the knuckle out. There's a ring that needs to be popped out from where the wheel bearing is for the ball joint to have clearance to come out, but with the proper ball joint removal kit (Autozone and Pep Boys have them), it is possible. At that point, however, you're only the steering arm joint and the upper ball joint away from pulling the whole knuckle anyways, and they're definitely easier to work with off the car, so just pull the damn thing off and use a bench vise or press, and you'll be glad you figured out how to do it the EASIER way.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:17 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your advice. Luckily there is a Pep Boys nearby so I can borrow the kit from them. I have a whole lot time to figure this out and since the car is in my garage and not on the driveway, it makes it a little easier.

Last edited by gwl; 10-10-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:47 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

I went ahead and rented some tools from Autozone. I rented the basic ball joint removal/install kit with the supplement kit for Hondas. The ball joint from Autozone didn't fit right because the clip for grease boot was too big. They were nice enough to give me a refund even though it was torn up. I broke down and bought a ball joint from the dealer, it was an easy fit. I left the knuckle on the car with only the upper ball joint hooked up. I also had to replace the axle seal, I screwed it up the original when I tried to install the new axle.

I found a new way to pop the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. After you jack the car up, use a jack under the lower control arm and raise it high enough to insert a 3/8 Craftsman ratchet between the lower control and the bottom portion of the knuckle near the ball joint. When you remove the jack, the arm will pinch the ratchet. Push down on the rotor and ball joint will separate.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ
Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwl
I went ahead and rented some tools from Autozone. I rented the basic ball joint removal/install kit with the supplement kit for Hondas. The ball joint from Autozone didn't fit right because the clip for grease boot was too big. They were nice enough to give me a refund even though it was torn up. I broke down and bought a ball joint from the dealer, it was an easy fit. I left the knuckle on the car with only the upper ball joint hooked up. I also had to replace the axle seal, I screwed it up the original when I tried to install the new axle.

I found a new way to pop the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. After you jack the car up, use a jack under the lower control arm and raise it high enough to insert a 3/8 Craftsman ratchet between the lower control and the bottom portion of the knuckle near the ball joint. When you remove the jack, the arm will pinch the ratchet. Push down on the rotor and ball joint will separate.

Here's a video.

how does it get reinserted though with the axle still in the hub?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...as far as I know, there's no possible way to do that. Just pull the whole knuckle off.

After it's off, I found out using Autozone's tool with an impact wrench makes the job very easy. Don't even have to put the tool or knuckle in a vice.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gwl

Here's a video.

that video is popping it not replacing it... but I have used that method before when i can't get one to pop loose and you don't want to ruin threads or the boot
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont have access to air tools and i broke a craftsman breaker bar and a 1/2 inch drive ratchet with a pipe and the hub bolt still didnt break...

what do you guys use when you cant get the wheel hub bolt out?
Old 11-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Trial User

Yes, it is possible to remove the lower ball joint and press a new one in without removing the knuckle.

This video shows a quick and easy way to remove the lower ball joint:

This one shows how to press the ball joint back in with the knuckle still on the car: