Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing door actuators?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing door actuators?

Ok so here is the deal, my door locks have been acting up and am wanting to replace the door acuators. Im in need of an explanation of how to remove them and is there any good place to find a new set OEM grade or OEM, i have found them on Google and there are ones for 4.99, im not about that.

So any help would be much appriciated..

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Replaceing Door acuators?

4.99?

Those are the generic door actuators with pigtails then you can just splice to any remote/switch activated lock system? BAD idea.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

That is what the real one looks like...

It's simple...*obviously you'd take off the door panel* The actuators are attached to the whole latching mechanism...You might be able to get it off without taking off the whole latch but that really seems like too much work.

Three screws on the rear facing panel of the door HUGE phillips heads...make sure you have the right screwdriver...some of them are a little stubborn and will possibly strip *almost stripped one on mine*. Once you get those off there is a couple of rods attached to it with little plastic clips...the plastic clips lock it on...so rotate those either up or down until the rod unlocks and it should just slip out. Take out the whole assembly and just replace the actuator...

I just picked up the whole latching assembly including the actuator off of somebody who wrecked their 97 for like 15 bucks. Check out junkyards...hope that was the response you're looking for...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i have been checking out the fourms, but if im going to do it i want to buy new..

and 4.99 i LOL when i saw that because i new those were elcheapos!

But yeah that helps alot, but how do i go about putting those rods back in if i cant see what they come from?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It's pretty wide open once you take the panel off and the little white plastic cover that goes over the rods and that whole you will need to access to get it all...if I remember correctly there is only one way each rod can go with the way that they're all bent.

All else fails use masking tape and put identifying marks on the rod like top right or inside or outside?

Take a couple of pictures using flash to refer back to if you want. I'm at work or I'd yank my panel off and take some pics for you.

Like I said i'm pretty sure with the way each rod is bent their is only one way each one will fit in.

There is some new ones on ebay if you trust ebay. I've had good luck thus far *knock on wood* Make sure you end up with one passenger and one driver...the driver is like 5 pin and pass is like 3 I think.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

What part exactly doesn't work? The latch or the motor? Have you done a diagnostic to verify? (Check Helms manual for troubleshooting tips.) Sometimes you can A. Clean up the motor if you take it apart ... you can sometimes see what's causing the problem; and B. On a 92-95 Civic at least, you don't even need to take the whole actuators with latch off ... you can just unscrew the motor and put a new motor back on. Much faster, but requires some precision work in the tight corners of the door.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well im not really sure i believe its the acuators but could be the motor aswell..Here is my issue, i can lock both doors fine from the inside (power) but when i lock the doors from the inside and get out i can no get back in, my key is fine an all but the locks on the outside just wont allow me to unlock the car from the outside.. You tell me? im stumped i want to install my security system but need to get this figured out first.

Thanks guys
Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

What year?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a 94 Ej1 coupe my bad i thought i had mentioned that already..
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Help anyone!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So the lock switch on the driver's door works to lock and unlock the doors, right? Is the problem that the key doesn't work in any of the doors? Or that the key does not work to unlock the locks? Does the driver's door lock **** work?

Most likely, you need to replace the latch assembly:

Old 08-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The key dosnt work to unlock any of the doors..the key only unlocks the Trunk. I used to be able to pull the Door handle to help unlcok the door but i cant do that anymore..

So the latch is the problem..your saying..
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
The key dosnt work to unlock any of the doors..the key only unlocks the Trunk. I used to be able to pull the Door handle to help unlcok the door but i cant do that anymore..
Are you saying that when you insert the key into the door lock cylinder, the cylinder won't turn? Give more details.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing door actuators?

Yeah when i put the key into the cylinder the key wont turn. It almost feels like i am useing the wrong key. Like i said ealier i used to be able to finagle the door handle to get the door handle open, but know i cant so i need a fix.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Driver's side AND passenger side have the SAME problem? Key won't turn? How worn is the key? Could be the lock cylinder, too. Either way, doesn't sound like an electrical problem. It could be that you need to use THIS DIY, but probably not because you say the prob is on both doors ... doubtful that both would fail together. One way to check is to swap the lock cylinder from the trunk into one of the doors. This would eliminate the possibility that it's the cylinders and key that's the problem. Bit of a chore to do all that though.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe your key is worn. You may need a new one made.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my key is really worn so i might try that but worse comes to worse those lock cylinders arnt expensive either so i might just do that and see if it fix's my problem.. Is the dealership the best place to get the OEM key made?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM

Yes - as far as I'm concerned it's the ONLY place to get a key made. The key is like under $4 and that includes getting it cut with the original key code tied to your VIN that they look up in their database.