Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

replacing clutch what do i need to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing clutch what do i need to buy?

i think my clutch is slipping and ill be doing my 3rd swp soon lol. i want to go ahead and replace the clutch while i have everything out of the car. my question is do i buy just the clutch disc? or do i get a new pressure plate too? would it be ok just buying a performance clutch disc?

also can some one list a name of a good clutch company?
Old 06-23-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (nextelbuddy)

get both..dont just buy one..if u get a nice disc the ur PP prob wouldnt be able to hold it...

-act
-clucthmaster
-exedy
-clutch specialty
those are really good companies...
Old 06-23-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (eg6h8k)

In addition to that question. When you open the tranny to access the clutch, is there a gasket or a seal of somekind that is used in between these two pieces. I'm sure there is, but just wanted to clear that up....

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-23-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (SpyderZEX)

i have never seen a gasket seal or anything between the block and bell housing of the tranny. and if there is supposed to be one i have nbever used one lol and i have never had any problems

i have looked all over ebay but all i see are 6 PUCK clutches or stage 3 clutches. i have been told not to get one because i wioll hate how it drives on the street.

where can i find a good deal on clutch kits online? that are for the street?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i head that the company EXEDY makes honda OEM clutches. on ebay i found 2 clutch kits from EXEDY a standard clutch kit for 150 bux buy it now and a EXEDY race clutch kit for 230 bux buy it now. both kits come with everything. but the racing kit comes with organic clutch disc and some super stong pressure plate supposedly 40 percent stronger than stock.

do you think that these kits are worth the money? i have never had to buy a clutch kit before cuz i either wreck my cars or blow the motors up haha
Old 06-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i head that the company EXEDY makes honda OEM clutches. on ebay i found 2 clutch kits from EXEDY a standard clutch kit for 150 bux buy it now and a EXEDY race clutch kit for 230 bux buy it now. both kits come with everything. but the racing kit comes with organic clutch disc and some super stong pressure plate supposedly 40 percent stronger than stock.

do you think that these kits are worth the money? i have never had to buy a clutch kit before cuz i either wreck my cars or blow the motors up haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

any one know about exedy racing clutches if they are worth the money?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:07 PM
TSPeed Factory

i bought the OEM exedy clutch off ebay and it worked pretty nicely. i dunno about other kits but the exedy kit comes with everything u need to replace the clutch. clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the tool for lining it up.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (AzntaggeR)

yea there are 2 kits on ebay now the oem exedy clutch kit and the racing exedy clutch kit. i beleive im going to get the racing clutch kit its onyl 230 bux for everything. how was the grab with the oem clutch?? was it decent? or just like stock?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 AM

yea man, i just bought a exedy oem kit...havn't put it in yet though. btw there is no gasket between the bell housing and block.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:39 AM

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (ProJectCvic)

I would go with a ACT clutch and i dont think u would hate teh racing cluth that much. Just dont get the xtreme pressure plates. I have an ACT i dont think its a racing one, and i love it. It chearps 2nd and sometimes 3rd to me ACT own
Old 06-24-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: replacing clutch what do i need to buy? (gezer)

hmm i used to chirp 2nd no problem and 3rd most of the time with my stock clutch in my sohc. but i agree i would go with the ACT very ncie clutches. just becareful with one you get the extreme pressure plate is a real pain in stop and go trafic!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:11 PM

I got my exedy at http://www.clutchcityonline.com Those guys are out of florida. I love my exedy clutch. i got the race-organic with the 8.5 lb flywheel. it's nice...totally streetable, good feel, and I chirped 4th at the track.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:13 PM
TSPeed Factory

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea there are 2 kits on ebay now the oem exedy clutch kit and the racing exedy clutch kit. i beleive im going to get the racing clutch kit its onyl 230 bux for everything. how was the grab with the oem clutch?? was it decent? or just like stock?</TD></TR></TABLE>

like stock basically. i didn't notice much of a difference but i'm still satisfied