Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder & Possibly Slave.....Questions First

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder & Possibly Slave.....Questions First

So the clutch as gone soft on me and getting into gear can be a pain. I've got my b16 eg and don't know if i should replace both the slave and the master at the same time.

If I do decide to replace both, am I supposed to upgrade the clutch components from a teg since I have a b-series trans in my car?

Also, for you that have swapped in new components, on average what did it cost you?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:06 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to be sure which one is leaking (either down the firewall or behind the slave boot) and just replace that component. There is no need to upgrade clutch hydraulic components.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:15 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

I'd replace both Use the parts from a Civic. Slave Cylinder is ~$40, Master is ~$130. Both are fairly easy to install.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder & Possibly Slave.....Questions First (LSEGHATCH)

have u bled it out?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder & Possibly Slave.....Questions First (LSEGHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check to be sure which one is leaking (either down the firewall or behind the slave boot) and just replace that component. There is no need to upgrade clutch hydraulic components.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah my title is kinda misleading since I will probably be replacing the faulty part only.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by notstreetlegal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have u bled it out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bought the car with the new ACT clutch installed and last night the pedal started to touch the floor when shifting (something that hasn't been an issue before)
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 AM

follow the clutch pedal up to the firewall to see if any fluid is leaking, then pull the boot back from the slave to see if theres fluid in it. fluid in the boot=replace slave, fluid by the firewall=replace master. most people will say to replace both cause they tend to go at the same time and it only requires you to bleed the clutch once. you dont need to get any clutch components just the master and slave.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont mean to jack the thread...but I figure its a good place to ask, since its on the same topic.

My pedal gets super firm after the car idles for a time, and the clutch will slip when I start to drive it. Ive adjusted the hell out of the piston and bled the thing like 3 times (theres no air in it). After the car sits for a long time, not running, the pedal goes back to being engaged about 1" down and it no longer slips
What the hell is the issue?
Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Save yourself the return trip and replace both at the same time. They tend to go bad within a year of the other's failure and you'll just have to do it twice.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (BiffStroganoffsky)

I had to recently replace my CMC... as it was leaking for a while. I replace the Slave when I did the swap just because the original was absolutely in bad shape.

Just use Civic parts when you replace them.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd replace both Use the parts from a Civic. Slave Cylinder is ~$40, Master is ~$130. Both are fairly easy to install.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you feel about the NAPA parts? I picked up my slave for $22.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard that NAPA and Autozone parts are fine as long as they aren't on high output applications.

I have ACT clutch and XTreme p/p, and don't know if I should buy OEM, NAPA, or Aftermarket. This is a daily driver and I could care less if the pedal travel was shortened.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSEGHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard that NAPA and Autozone parts are fine as long as they aren't on high output applications.

I have ACT clutch and XTreme p/p, and don't know if I should buy OEM, NAPA, or Aftermarket. This is a daily driver and I could care less if the pedal travel was shortened.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. I'm running an Unorthodox Kevlar clutch. From the little bit I got to drive the car it was great. Stupid frickin trannys...

OP: For the new componets I paid 325 for my clutch (not sure if that's what you were talking about) and $22 from NAPA for a slave cylinder.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I checked the two spots out and I don't know if I've found anything.

The master cylinder where the clutch pedal meets on the inside of the firewall, I saw come grease and it did look moist but it wasn't dripping fluid while I would press and depress the clutch pedal.

Next was the slave cylinder and at that spot I don't know how far I need to push the rubber boot back but as far as I got it, it showed no sign of fluid.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSEGHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok so I checked the two spots out and I don't know if I've found anything.

The master cylinder where the clutch pedal meets on the inside of the firewall, I saw come grease and it did look moist but it wasn't dripping fluid while I would press and depress the clutch pedal.

Next was the slave cylinder and at that spot I don't know how far I need to push the rubber boot back but as far as I got it, it showed no sign of fluid. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ive never seen the fluid on a bad MC so i dont know if it looks greasy when the fluid leaks. but i dont think it should be moist. as far as the SC if you pulled the boot back just a little bit fluid would come out if it were there. my guess is your MC is bad IF its one of those two parts thats causing the problem.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing Clutch Master Cylinder & Possibly Slave.....Questions First (h23eg)

Well all of the hose/pipe, looks brand new. Yeah there is grease but it looks like grease that has been wet or moist, if you catch my drift. I guess I should start somewhere and just replace that.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:48 PM

you got a friend with a civic? if so swap his/her MC and SC on your car and see what happens. its not hard to change em out and thatll save you from spending the money if the problem isnt your MC or SC.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h23eg)

can't say I do, w/e just another new part for the hatch
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LSEGHATCH)

Here is a shitty pic I took of what the m/c looks like. The more I see it, the more I think it's leaking so.....
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, its leaking. mine is leaking too... except mine is all over the firewall, and downward like 8 inches from the seal.

gotta replace that thing soon... its progressively getting worse.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94hatchling)

^^^ How do you get yours into gear? Mine just started going out last night and it was being a bitch to get it into gear.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: (LSEGHATCH)

When I was going through my dilema as to why my car would go into gear without the clutch and not go anywhere the guy said a good way to check the MC is to push the rod in on the SC with 1 finger. He said it should be fairly easy.

If it's hard to push back it means the valve to the MC is getting clogged, meaning fluid can't get back, so it should be replaced.