Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else

i'm having a hard time cranking my car.. and when it starts up there seems to be a wheezing sound like it's gasping for air or something. i'm thinking it's my battery.. it has a lot of corrosion on the terminals. i'm just wondering if an OEM replacement is good enough or should i go with something else like duralast, die hard, or interstate. dont wanna buy something expensive like optima.
i'm also running a 600w amp on a 12 inch. also have my power windows hardwired directly to the battery.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (egg_baLLa)

Try cleaning the corrosion on the terminals first. Then see if you still need a new battery or not.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (egg_baLLa)

take it to autozone or something first and have it checked, could also be plugs/wires/cap/rotor, but my first suggestion for batteries would be optima but since you wanna save a little cash any of the 3 you metioned will work just fine
Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (elektronsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elektronsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to autozone or something first and have it checked, could also be plugs/wires/cap/rotor, but my first suggestion for batteries would be optima but since you wanna save a little cash any of the 3 you metioned will work just fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just replaced plugs/ wires/cap/rotor/pcv valve last week.
i dunno.. does it really matter what battery i get
Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM

a battery is a battery... but you first need to clean off those terminals...

shut off the car and all power. disconnect the battery, and then use a mixture of water and baking soda and pour it all on the terminals and all over the top of the battery. also pour it on the tray where the battery sits. it will fizz and bubble! using a wire brush, clean off the terminals and also clean off the connectors. dry everything completely, and if everything is super dry, its all ready to start.

im not responsible if anything goes wrong or any damage is caused!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egg_baLLa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm just wondering if an OEM replacement is good enough or should i go with something else like duralast, die hard, or interstate. dont wanna buy something expensive like optima.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I use is Costco auto batteries!

Before you start laughing...

Kirkland Signature auto batteries are made by Johnson Controls - the same ppl that make Sears Diehards... Optima batteries... and almost all the other 'good' batteries out there... probably even the OEM batteries (and assorted electronics)!

You can get a premium battery at Costco for half the price of Sears and elsewhere, soooo...

That's my suggestion!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Kirkland Signature auto batteries are made by Johnson Controls - the same ppl that make Sears Diehards... Optima batteries... and almost all the other 'good' batteries out there... probably even the OEM batteries (and assorted electronics)!

You can get a premium battery at Costco for half the price of Sears and elsewhere, soooo...

That's my suggestion!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.

No need to spend your life savings on all these "lightweight" or "high performance" batteries. An OEM replacement will do just fine.

When was the last time you changed this current battery?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
* B A N N E D *

Honda batteries are made by interstate, fyi.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:03 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (count me out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by count me out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda batteries are made by interstate, fyi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And, Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls, fyi...

Modified by BlackDeuceCoupe at 10:13 PM 6/25/2008
Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rSol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agreed.

No need to spend your life savings on all these "lightweight" or "high performance" batteries. An OEM replacement will do just fine.

When was the last time you changed this current battery?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've never changed my battery before. i bought my car used at a dealership 6 or 7 years ago. i'm assuming the dealership replaced the battery when they sold it to me.. but who knows.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And, Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls, fyi...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

God..you got to it before me
Old 06-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egg_baLLa)

hmm this is weird.. sometimes when i crank up my car it'll have a hard time cranking, then it'll just stop cranking altogether and give this weird sound (which im guessing that it's bogging? i dunno what bogging sounds like).. but other times it'll sound like a healthy crank but it'll take forever just to start the engine.. and when it starts up, it gives this wheezing noise.
i kinda have a feeling this is more than just a battery problem.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:19 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (1995Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

God..you got to it before me </TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL!

In case nobody believes us...

SOURCE (EPA web site aka US Environmental Protection Agency)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Founded in 1885, Johnson Controls, Inc. (JCI) is headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. JCI provides more than 118,000 jobs at more than 500 locations worldwide. Sales for FY2004 totaled $26.6 billion. The company is a global market leader in automotive systems and facility management and control. In the automotive market, JCI is a major supplier of integrated seating, interior systems, and batteries. JCI also provides control systems and services including comfort, energy, and security management for nonresidential facilities.

The Kernersville facility manufactured approximately 5.5 million automotive/marine lead-acid batteries in FY04. Major customers and distributors include: Advance Auto, AutoZone, Costco, Interstate, Pep Boys, Sears, and Wal-mart.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egg_baLLa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm this is weird.. sometimes when i crank up my car it'll have a hard time cranking, then it'll just stop cranking altogether and give this weird sound (which im guessing that it's bogging? i dunno what bogging sounds like).. but other times it'll sound like a healthy crank but it'll take forever just to start the engine.. and when it starts up, it gives this wheezing noise.
i kinda have a feeling this is more than just a battery problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, back on topic...

It *sounds* like a bad starter to me! Allow me to explain why it works sometimes, but not others.

Technically speaking, the starter motor itself is probably just fine, however...

What happens is the solenoid goes bad, e.g. the contacts in the solenoid burn up.

These electrical contacts momentarily engage every time you start your car - and they usually make contact in exactly the same spot. After a while, the surface of these contacts start to burn up, but...

They don't make contact in exactly the same spot 100% of the time. Sometimes the contacts shift to this or that side a little. When it does this, the solenoid will work okay and the car will start - but the next time, odds are, the solenoid contacts will be sitting in the same burned up spot[s].

I had this problem with my wife's car for about 6 months. I was too lazy to swap out the starter, so when it happened, I would beat on the solenoid with a wrench until the contacts moved around - and it would be good for another few weeks.

Anyway, it was finally time to pay the piper. I installed a new starter and the problem never happened again... probably going on a year now!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:46 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egg_baLLa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've never changed my battery before. i bought my car used at a dealership 6 or 7 years ago. i'm assuming the dealership replaced the battery when they sold it to me.. but who knows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG!!!

In Phoenix - one of the hottest places on earth - you're lucky if you get 2 years out of a battery.

Heat and vibration kill batteries - and a lack of water, of course.

Hrm...

Well, you're living on borrowed time anyway, so you *might* wanna try the battery next!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 PM

This is kind of off topic but do you have a CAP(capcitor) for your amp? Check and see how many amps(not watts look at the fuses) the amplifier draws, for every 100 amps you draw it is recommended one farad for the capacitor(100 amps drawn = 1 farad CAP). This in turn will keep you from having to replace the battery and alternator as often.

For cleaning your battery, you can use water and baking soda or you can use sprite(yes the Soda) it works pretty well and does not harm the battery. Also you can check autozone they sell some corrosion protectant that goes on kinda like a silicone spray, this works very well.

As far as the problem have your starter tested before you spend the money on it. If you don't want to buy another one you can do like I did with my accord. Turn the key in the on position, grab a wire and run it to the battery, stick the wire in the starter where the cable comes out facing towards the front.....Vwalah LMAO I did this for 3 weeks until someone ran over the front of my beautiful car.........
Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (boondocks1805)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boondocks1805 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is kind of off topic but do you have a CAP(capcitor) for your amp? Check and see how many amps(not watts look at the fuses) the amplifier draws, for every 100 amps you draw it is recommended one farad for the capacitor(100 amps drawn = 1 farad CAP). This in turn will keep you from having to replace the battery and alternator as often.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talkin' to me or the OP?

I have a 2.2 Farad CAP in my B16A2-EJ7...

Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Okay, back on topic...

It *sounds* like a bad starter to me! Allow me to explain why it works sometimes, but not others.

Technically speaking, the starter motor itself is probably just fine, however...

What happens is the solenoid goes bad, e.g. the contacts in the solenoid burn up.

These electrical contacts momentarily engage every time you start your car - and they usually make contact in exactly the same spot. After a while, the surface of these contacts start to burn up, but...

They don't make contact in exactly the same spot 100% of the time. Sometimes the contacts shift to this or that side a little. When it does this, the solenoid will work okay and the car will start - but the next time, odds are, the solenoid contacts will be sitting in the same burned up spot[s].

I had this problem with my wife's car for about 6 months. I was too lazy to swap out the starter, so when it happened, I would beat on the solenoid with a wrench until the contacts moved around - and it would be good for another few weeks.

Anyway, it was finally time to pay the piper. I installed a new starter and the problem never happened again... probably going on a year now!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

so does that just mean i can replace the solenoid or would i have to buy a completely new starter?

hmmm.. dam sounds like this is more trouble than i thought. i might just replaced the battery first, then if the problem persists, it's on to the starter.. how much does the starter run for these days?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egg_baLLa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so does that just mean i can replace the solenoid or would i have to buy a completely new starter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure about a Honda starter...

My wife's car had a Mitsubishi motor, and the solenoid was integral with the starter case. You couldn't buy the solenoid parts separately, and it looked like it would be a major PITA to refurb anyway - so, I spent $85 and got her a LLW starter from AutoZone.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should i be replacing the CABLE ASSY., STARTER pictured #10 above, or should i be replacing the whole starter motor itself? that would be a PITA cuz that'll run me over $250.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's my suggestion!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

diehards = die easy
Worst battery in the business. they used to be made by the company that made interstate batteries. But not anymore. Also I wouldn't buy costco battery because it probably made to lower standards due to cheap mass production. Interstate is the way to go. Most good shops use interstate. You cant beat the 7 year warranty.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (JeffBro)

Oh and btw I dont see anything about any of the brands mentioned being made by Johnson Controls... they make optima batteries.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:15 AM

YOu dontneed to get all fancy with water and baking soda to clean the battery, just pour some coca cola on it
Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else (JeffBro)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffBro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh and btw I dont see anything about any of the brands mentioned being made by Johnson Controls... they make optima batteries. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh...they dont just make Optima batteries.

They began to take over the rights to make Optima batteries in the year 2000. However before that, they were and still are the world leaders in automobile batteries. Now, I'm almost positive that they were still the industry leaders even before they bought out the rights to manufacture Optima.

Quick Reply: Replacing battery.. is OEM good or should i go with something else