Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

replacing ac compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replacing ac compressor

Hey there,

I have a '97 Civic EX and the ac compressor works fine but on the top where the in and out lines connect to the compressor, the bolt that holds one of the lines is stripped. It held for about 2 years and it just let go today and all my refrigerant leaked out. Guy at Oreillys recommends me to just get a new compressor so I don't have to worry about the coolant leaking again.

My question is, after I replace the compressor and accumulator, can I drive it to a shop to have them vacuum and recharge the system without it burning up on me as long as I don't turn the a/c compressor on? Please help me. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replacing ac compressor

IF THE BOLT LET GO WHY WOULD YOU NEED A NEW COMPRESSOR??? YOU KNOW WHY THE REFRIGERANT LEAKED OUT, IF THE COMPRESSOR WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE THIS HAPPENED WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT??? JUST REPLACE THE BOLT (THE LINE IF NEEDED) IF THE SEALS ARE A LITTLE WORN REPLACE THOSE TOO, ADD REFRIGERANT AND YOUR GOOD TO GO

OHH AND DONT ALWAYS TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE THAT WORK AND AUTOPARTS STORES THERE'S ALOT THAT KNOW THEIR STUFF BUT THERE'S ALOT THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE F*** THEIR TALKING ABOUT
Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as a safety precaution, I would pull the belt until you are ready to get the system recharged... just to prevent "accidental" compressor burning
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The ac system will not engage if there is not enough pressure, so removing the belt is redundant.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with Pliskin8.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pliskin8
IF THE BOLT LET GO WHY WOULD YOU NEED A NEW COMPRESSOR??? YOU KNOW WHY THE REFRIGERANT LEAKED OUT, IF THE COMPRESSOR WAS WORKING FINE BEFORE THIS HAPPENED WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT??? JUST REPLACE THE BOLT (THE LINE IF NEEDED) IF THE SEALS ARE A LITTLE WORN REPLACE THOSE TOO, ADD REFRIGERANT AND YOUR GOOD TO GO

OHH AND DONT ALWAYS TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE THAT WORK AND AUTOPARTS STORES THERE'S ALOT THAT KNOW THEIR STUFF BUT THERE'S ALOT THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE F*** THEIR TALKING ABOUT
I hear you about taking advice from auto parts stores like that. Some are good some are just blowing smoke....however, the guy had a point. The bolt let go b/c the thread that are built into the compressor are stripped. 2 years ago I re-tapped it and it was able to make it this far, but I think it's just not going to hold that a/c line well enough.....rather than spend another $120 vacuuming and recharging it and worrying "is this the day it goes out again", and be out another bill. I can just get a new one and be at ease and it is about a couple hundred dollars more. THanks for the help.

So I got one person says to not install the belt yet and another that says the pressure won't be high enough? I'll probably just call the shop up and ask them what they recommend unless anyone can give me a definant yes/no answer......thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there isnt any refrigerant in the new compressor, it wont burn up driving it to the shop to get a recharge. Dont try and run the compressor tho until its been recharged.