Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment?

Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment?

Well I just replaced my stock CX rack with one from a Type R w/ the addition of a breather system. While doing so I also replaced my steering wheel and column with a tilt column from an EX.

I am worried about driving the car now. I am not sure how to line up the universal join between the rack and the steering column. The column side has the flat spot for the bolt, but the rack can be bolted in at any point. I tried ligning it up best I could, but I am afraid the car will be pulling all over the place when I hit the street. Any advice on getting to the alinment shop in one piece?
Old 02-06-2004, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive slow

Old 02-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment? (White Lightnin)

Thesteering column has nothing to do with your car pulling all over the place. If the alignment is on or close tll drive straight but your steering wheel will be crooked. The best thing to do is to tighten it down. start her up and start moving to let the wheel straighten out. stop. then unbolt the joint and center the steering wheel again. tighten everything down and youre done. Now if your rack is mis aligned or if you took off the tie rod ends without marking their place then you could have some toe issues on the front end. But thats another issue.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment? (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by monicle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thesteering column has nothing to do with your car pulling all over the place. If the alignment is on or close tll drive straight but your steering wheel will be crooked. The best thing to do is to tighten it down. start her up and start moving to let the wheel straighten out. stop. then unbolt the joint and center the steering wheel again. tighten everything down and youre done. Now if your rack is mis aligned or if you took off the tie rod ends without marking their place then you could have some toe issues on the front end. But thats another issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He completely removed his steering rack, so he needs to get it realigned since it was taken apart.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment? (92b16vx)

yeah I understand that but his main concern is that because he doesnt know how to correctly put on the universal joint, that his car will be allover the place. I was simply stating that no matter how you connect the steering column to the rack it will have no affect on how your car handles.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment? (White Lightnin)

have it towed but should be fun hope the shop isn't far from home lol
Old 02-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced Steering Rack: ALignment? (scratchy)

I kind of figured that the wheel would be way off, and that was sort of my concern. The closest place is firestone. Good price, but not always the best job. Especially with a new camber kit to boot.

I would take it to Tom's shop, but that involves about 45 minutes on the freeway. Probably take it to firestone (2 blocks) drive it for a while and go see Tom when I got the cash.