Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced ignitor and car still wont start. :( I need to fix this car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced ignitor and car still wont start. :( I need to fix this car.

A quick rundown of the past week.

Driving down highway, car shut down. RPM went from 3500 to 0 immediately with no warning signs. Never got the car restarted on the highway.

Engine turns over but doesnt start
Coil is new
Fuel pump does turn on
I have power throughout the car
I have replaced the main relay
I have replaced the ignitor
ECU light does come on for 2 secs then goes off
Not throwing any ECU codes
I checked for fuel at the fuel filter and I do have fuel (when i turn the bolt it leaks out)

I've got to get this thing fixed this weekend.
Thanks!

Modified by T-RO at 9:21 AM 11/9/2003

Modified by T-RO at 9:25 AM 11/9/2003
Old 11-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replaced ignitor and car still wont start. :( I need to fix this car. (T-RO)

Did you check for spark yet? With a car just shutting down like that out of nowhere and not starting anymore, ignition wise I think it sounds more like a coil gone bad. Borrows someones that works and is compatible with your dist. and find out if that was the problem.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the coil in and had it tested. It tested the exact numbers that a new one they had tested. (I watched them test both).
Old 11-07-2003, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A sad face bump for the morning.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

My brother had a similar problem, he replaced the ignitor and nothing. What he then did was replace the distributor and it worked. Give it a try, assuming you've tested and don't have spark.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you mean by checking for spark?
It was suggested I:
pull a spark plug out, leaving the wire on. Ground it then turn the motor over and litterally look for a spark on the plug.

Is that what you mean by checking for spark? If so I havent done that.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Replaced ignitor and car still wont start. :( I need to fix this car. (T-RO)

My money is on the COIL!
Old 11-07-2003, 07:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fuel pump does turn on
I have power throughout the car
Engine turns over but doesnt start
I checked for fuel at the fuel filter and I do have fuel (when i turn the bolt it leaks out)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same symptoms on the wife's 97 EX a few years back. I checked for spark with a tester thing I got from PepBoys, there was spark. Had the battery checked by Trak Auto, they said it was good. Ended up just cleaning the battery connections and replacing the battery. Problem solved.

Mark
Old 11-07-2003, 07:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What do you mean by checking for spark?
It was suggested I:
pull a spark plug out, leaving the wire on. Ground it then turn the motor over and litterally look for a spark on the plug.

Is that what you mean by checking for spark? If so I havent done that.
Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

pull sprak plug wire out..

pull out spark plug..

plug the spark plug into the wire you just pulled out...

hold the tip of the plug near a ground..(a good ground)

crank..engine....

'CHECK FOR SPARK'
Old 11-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all of your battery ground connection for anything loose. A loose ground connector will still make your vehcilel lights and other accessories work exept for starting your car. Check the ground by the thermostat housing and make sure that's snug too.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:25 AM

I've had this same exact problem 2 months ago. I too bought a new ignition coil, and that wasn't the problem. It turned out to be a bad Distributor. So I would replace that first and see what happens. My .02. Good Luck
Old 11-07-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is the timing on plug wires on correctly?
Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

pull sprak plug wire out..

pull out spark plug..

plug the spark plug into the wire you just pulled out...

hold the tip of the plug near a ground..(a good ground)

crank..engine....

'CHECK FOR SPARK'
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I said.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I tested my coil and everything read properly. I replaced it anyway and it fixed the problem, I still suggest you borrow someones coil that works and try that. If not then look towards a good whole distributor.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:05 PM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ill phil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ill phil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tested my coil and everything read properly. I replaced it anyway and it fixed the problem, I still suggest you borrow someones coil that works and try that. If not then look towards a good whole distributor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, check for spark like previously mentioned. if possible, see if you can swap distributors with someone to see if that works. good luck
Old 11-09-2003, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I pulled the wire/plug and checked for spark like mentioned above. Nothing happened, and I checked on like 3 different places to make sure I had a good ground. So it seems that I have no spark at the plugs.

What now?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I pulled the wire/plug and checked for spark like mentioned above. Nothing happened, and I checked on like 3 different places to make sure I had a good ground. So it seems that I have no spark at the plugs.

What now? </TD></TR></TABLE>

borrow a friends working distributor and go from there...

Old 11-09-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know anyone with a dist that will fit. If I dont have a spark is it a good bet that the whole Distributor needs to be replaced?
Thanks
Old 11-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see you put that its a new coil. Has it been replaced since the car died or are you comparing it to the one tested earlier? If not the coil, them yes it could possibly be the distributor. What kind of motor is it?
Old 11-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I pulled the coil out after the car died and took it to a parts shop to have it tested. They tested it and also tested a new one from the shelf, the numbers were the same.

Its a stock D16z6 in the car
Old 11-10-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I pulled the coil out after the car died and took it to a parts shop to have it tested. They tested it and also tested a new one from the shelf, the numbers were the same.

Its a stock D16z6 in the car</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said earlier, many people have gone to shops and had coils and ignitors tested and got ok results and still had bad parts. I personally followed all the steps in the Helms to test my coil with a DMM and found the results to be dead on..... but my coil was dead. Just a thought. I believe any OBD-1 D/B series coil should work just to see if thats the problem. Once that is definitely ruled out, then look to borrow a complete dist.... someone will have to clarify if other OBD-1 d-series dist. are swappable but I would think they should be. Someone care to give some more info on compatibility for him?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try replacing just the cap and rotor. i just fixed mine 2 days ago. the car was running fine then i just stepped on the gas and and just bogged it down a lot. changed the plugs and it worked fine for about an hour. then the same problem.but then i replaced the cap and rotor, and it was like haveing a new car. now it runs great. hope this helps you out.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd put money on the crank angle position sensor, which basically means replace the distributor. but what the hell do i know???
Old 11-11-2003, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I tried something else just now that I read about. I removed the distributor cap and tried to crank the motor a few times. The distributor rotor did not move at all. It should have moved right?

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, I tried something else just now that I read about. I removed the distributor cap and tried to crank the motor a few times. The distributor rotor did not move at all. It should have moved right?

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it should move.....

Quick Reply: Replaced ignitor and car still wont start. :( I need to fix this car.