Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replaced fuel injectors 96 Civic.. reset ecu?

Old 11-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Icon5 Replaced fuel injectors 96 Civic.. reset ecu?

96 Civic HX (D16Y5 engine).

I know that on some sensors on the engine it's beneficial to reset the ECU when replacing bad parts. Would that also apply when I replaced the fuel injectors? The car was running rich, the Short and Long term fuel trims were showing very rich conditions. After I replaced the fuel injectors the short and long term fuel trims were exactly where they should be. I didn't reset the ECU at that time. So then it got me thinking if an ECU reset would make any difference..
Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts
Default Re: Replaced fuel injectors 96 Civic.. reset ecu?

If your fuel trims are good, why would you reset the ECU ???
Old 11-05-2017, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone can answer this.. is there any benefit to reset the ECU after I've replaced the fuel injectors? A detailed answer as to why (yes or no) would be nice without trying to think I'm a moron or something.. Not sure why I have to ask again, the same as my original post..

Last edited by oneheadlight; 11-05-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it if you want or don't do it. If there are no lights and your fuel trims (which was your original concern) are fine there really isn't a reason to do it, but at the same time it isn't going to hurt you if you do reset the ecu. Everytime you clear a code with a code reader it resets your ecu, same with disconnecting the battery or the fuse that is for the ecu.

Basically all you are doing if you reset the ecu is put it back into a "relearn" mode, it will go and do its checks on the cars systems (checking for misfires, evap system, O2 sensors, etc...) and once it has confirmed everything is working as it should it runs on whatever parameters are set by the manufacturer.

If you have to deal with emissions and have a car that likes to act up sometimes, you end up dealing with this like I do every two years when I swap back to my stock ecu for testing. Throws a code for something, emissions monitors are incomplete and I reset the ecu and do the drive cycle (really only an issue if you are trying to test it the same day) it requires to set all of the monitors properly and then take it in for testing.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Replaced fuel injectors 96 Civic.. reset ecu?

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
Do it if you want or don't do it. If there are no lights and your fuel trims (which was your original concern) are fine there really isn't a reason to do it, but at the same time it isn't going to hurt you if you do reset the ecu. Everytime you clear a code with a code reader it resets your ecu, same with disconnecting the battery or the fuse that is for the ecu.

Basically all you are doing if you reset the ecu is put it back into a "relearn" mode, it will go and do its checks on the cars systems (checking for misfires, evap system, O2 sensors, etc...) and once it has confirmed everything is working as it should it runs on whatever parameters are set by the manufacturer.

If you have to deal with emissions and have a car that likes to act up sometimes, you end up dealing with this like I do every two years when I swap back to my stock ecu for testing. Throws a code for something, emissions monitors are incomplete and I reset the ecu and do the drive cycle (really only an issue if you are trying to test it the same day) it requires to set all of the monitors properly and then take it in for testing.
Yeah I was just trying to be a "perfectionist" making sure everything was as good as it could be. I do remember, now that you mention it, how it "relearns" everything. And you're right, if the ecu has corrected the fuel tirms, then resetting the ecu would do nothing and no real benefit would show. I probably won't reset it now that you've laid it out. Looks like the ecu in this situation it didn't need to be reset to meter the injectors correctly. That answered my question, I appreciate it, thanks!