Replaced entire A/C system still not cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:52 AM
iv
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced entire A/C system still not cold

Hello,

I have a 1993 Civic Hatch with a swapped B18C I recently replaced Compressor/Dryer/Evaporator/expansion valve/condenser due to the system not performing as it should. Also had the system vacuumed out and charged by a professional at a shop so I know it is good.

Things I have checked so far

The A/C button lights up
The condenser fan is working as it should
The compressor clutch is engaged when the A/C is on

The problem I am having is this. In the morning the a/c blows at about 60-65 when it is cooler outside. As the temperature increases outside the A/C has a hard time keeping up in the afternoon when the temp outside is 95 it is only blowing around 80 I'm thinking it should be closer to 60-70. I'm trying to think what else I can fix or adjust to help fix the issue.

Any suggestions???
Old 07-02-2014, 03:59 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Replaced entire A/C system still not cold

Is your hot/cold blend valve closing all the way? It's near your fire wall. It may be stuck open a bit. You can close it by hand to see if that helps. I think honda calls it a water valve or heater core valve or something.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 AM
iv
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
Is your hot/cold blend valve closing all the way? It's near your fire wall. It may be stuck open a bit. You can close it by hand to see if that helps. I think honda calls it a water valve or heater core valve or something.
I had a problem with that but I have since replaced the push and pull rod it was bent it is all the way to the cold side confirmed by hand.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have you replaced all the lines? not related to this car, dad had a 92 celica someone "fixed" with the system oil that had leak sealing "technology", We ended up pulling all the lines out and they had plastic beads of "technology" stuck throughout them and were not allowing alot by. Something to look at here?
Old 07-02-2014, 04:41 AM
iv
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Grape Ape Guy
have you replaced all the lines? not related to this car, dad had a 92 celica someone "fixed" with the system oil that had leak sealing "technology", We ended up pulling all the lines out and they had plastic beads of "technology" stuck throughout them and were not allowing alot by. Something to look at here?
No I did have the system flushed and we changed all the o rings I guess I need to check the lines for Kinks
Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Performance test the A/C system as detailed in the service manual using a manifold gauge set.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Performance test the A/C system as detailed in the service manual using a manifold gauge set.
^ just like he said

I had the same problem in a 92 eg r12-r134a conversion that had a bad a/c compressor. replaced it with a new one, found out that small metal shavings where everywhere in the lines and clogged the xpansion valve 3 times. all i can say is good luck it was a major headache for me.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AC can be such a pain to diagnose. If your compressor goes out then it makes a mess everywhere. If i had to guess i'd say you have a blockage somewhere or maybe to much oil in the system. If the compressor fails you should always replace the expansion, drier and the condenser. i had a problem of the same and it wasn't until i changed out the condenser that it started to work correctly. I had already changed everything else but the condenser and then when i read on how the condenser worked and that when the compressor broke apart i should of changed it. I did and the problem went away. But if you have had the expansion blocked three times that tells me the system wasn't cleaned well enough when it should of been and your problem is due to bad flow or a blockage.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
iv
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I was hoping for a solution where I did not have to purchase gauges I've already spent enough money on this A/C I will see what I can do
Old 07-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You may be able to find a free rental for the manifold gauge set at chain auto parts stores.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

What kind of fan do you have attached to the condenser?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also did you change the compressor with a brand new one or did you get one from the junk yard.

The condenser and evaporator play a big part in the efficiency of the system. Make sure to have the condenser fins are clean and nothing is stopping air flow over the condenser and evaporator. Crap like leaves and paper can really mess things up.

I am in the same boat as you. I got a 93 civic that was r12 I totally yanked out the old system and I'm getting ready to put in all r134 components.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How's it looking? Did you do any more troubleshooting?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the flaps in your HVAC are closing as expected. You might be able to hear them popping when moving the temp ****. If you dont hear anything you might have somthing inside there preventing the flaps from closing completely leting hot air come in.

You might take the glovebox out and put a thermometer right after the Evaporator to see how is the temp in there.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Couple key things, did you get a r134 compresser? What is in the system? Sounds like you may also have to much oil in it, that will cause it to not work correctly and any time you open the system you should be changing your dryer. New parts also fail. A few summers ago i put on a new compresser and everything worked fine but the next summer that came around it didn't and that was becasue my new compresser went bad.