Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Replace expansion valve/remove blower motor box 93 Del Sol?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace expansion valve/remove blower motor box 93 Del Sol?

So I have to replace the expansion valve in my Del Sol. Problem is I cant get to it obvioulsy because it's in a lil"box" for lack of a better word.

It's a pain in the a$$ to get to and at the moment I'm stuck and can't get it out. I've done a lil search and can't find much. Any advice?

I don't have to pull the dash do I?
--------------------------------------
Problem fixed:

Tools needed:
- Flat head screw driver
- Phillips screw driver
- 10mm socket w/ratchet and a long extension.
- 12mm wrench or socket (for AC line).

Time: 30 mins

**Note** I am assuming you have already removed the Freon from the AC system (mine had been). If you have not, you need to have a shop do this because it is illegal to vent it into the air. Unless you don't care. in that case, have at it. It's toxic so don't breathe it or you may not be able to have kids jk.

Step 1: Gather tools and get ready to pull the evaporator box.

Step 2: Remove battery. Easy step. If you don't know how to remove your battery just forget about doing any of the other steps and take your car to a shop.

Step 3: Remove the 12mm and 10mm bolts from the AC lines that are connected to the firewall.

Step 4: Remove the glove box. (3) 10mm bolts and (1) 12mm. Easy enough.

Step 5: There are (3) 10mm bolts and (1) 10mm nut. They are kinda hard to see but they are there. Remove them.

Step 6: Pull out the AC drain. It's just stuck in the back of the box and pulls right out.

Step 7: Pull the black box out. If you need to, their are some little clips that hold the two pieces of the box together. you can use a flat head screwdriver to pop them off, which allows you to pull the box apart slightly and get it away from the other stuff under the dash.

TO open the box, remove the rest of the little clips (if you havn't already removed half of them) and use a phillips screw driver on the two or three screws that also hold everything together. You will see this on the inside, hopefully not that dirty though!

Thats all I have right now, but whenever I replace the valve, I will update.

Last edited by mac_24_seven; 06-28-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Replace expansion valve/remove blower motor box 93 Del Sol?

Jumped the gun on posting the question so soon. I'm a better mechanic than that. I figured out I had to remove the AC lines going into the cabin: (1) 12mm bolt and (1) 10mm bolt.

As far as the box goes... There are three under the dash. The one closest to the center of the dash is white, the center is black (that houses the expansion valve/orifice tube) and the one closest to the door is white and is the fan box.

- There are like 3 10 mm bolts that hold the black box in, all pretty easy and straightforward to get to.
- On the back of the black box there is a AC drain, which is just a rubber hose stuck in the box. It pulls out easily.
- Once those are removed, there are the two bolts in the engine bay that have to be removed (that I mentioned earlier). You have to pull the battery to get to em.
- When all that stuff is done, then you can just pull the box out.
--- Their are little clips that are accessible on the front of the box that you may have to pop off with a flat head screw driver. This allows the box to kinda be pulled apart.

I'll post pics later and make a lil more detailed write up, as their isn't one on H-T that I could find.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the record, I think this needs to go in the FAQ, as I can't be the only one who has ever wondered how to pull this box out.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a way to clean the evap without draining the system?

If leaves can get in there then there has to be someway I can access it to clean out the leaves.

I just filled my system with freon and don't want to redo it again.

The system is cooling very well now, but I'm sure there's leaves in there, I removed a ton of leaved from the window drainaged tubes that were clogged badly.

My mother has the same oak trees leaves on her property and I'm sure the evap looks like that pic, but it's working efficiently I just want to do some preventative maitenence.

93 del sol
Old 08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how. The core comes out before the fan assembly, so, I'm not seeing it.

Someone (NOFX maybe?) had a write-up on how to put a filter in to prevent such happenings, but I didn't bookmark it. And you would have to replace the box for it, so the coils have to come out.

Its really not that hard to do, and it only would cost the price of freon, and of course your own labor. (rent the vacuum for free)

Might wanna wait till sept or oct if its working well, cause I dont know about you, but here its 104 outside!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'll wait , I don't have any bad smell and the AC is working great , I just put r12 in it about 2 weeks ago. Expensive stuff even though it was free from my Grandfather's stock.

It was 108 here today (well that's the actual heat index) it was really 99 on the thermometer, but with humidity it really feels sticky hot.

If it ain't broke applies here
Old 08-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHAT? Del Sol's don't take R12, it takes R134.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shak3yb0n3z
WHAT? Del Sol's don't take R12, it takes R134.
93's are r12 stock unless they've been converted
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just the info I needed to fix my ma's a/c... thanks for posting!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lightheaded
just the info I needed to fix my ma's a/c... thanks for posting!
You could actually vacuum out the side of the evap 'box' that butts up against the blower motor. If you remove the blower motor and then gently insert the vacuum into the left side of the blower motor box, you are vacuuming the right side of the evap, be careful tho, the expansion valve is right there.

Here is Eric the CarGuy's blower motor removal video. Its really easy...

When I removed my evap on my 92 civic to replace the expansion valve,I think I pulled about a pound of debris out with it.

No cabin air filter in these older Hondas....
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If you're replacing the expansion valve you might as well take it out completely to clean it of debri and mold