Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing the vinyl interior trim around trunk latch striker ('98 hatch)

Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Removing the vinyl interior trim around trunk latch striker ('98 hatch)

Hey guy's I'm new to honda-tech, but google has directed me to this site many times for various reasons in the past and thought I'd sign up. Anywho, I drive a 1998 cx hatch. I am currently in the process of removing all of the interior vinyl paneling/trim in the rear/trunk area (from the rearmost part of the doors and back toward the trunk). To start I removed my seat backs and seat bottom, got rid of the false bottom in the trunk, the jack, spare, and all those goodies. I removed my rear speaker covers and speakers, and now there is one particular piece of trim that is giving me some issues and I just want to get some advice on removing before I snap any of the clips or grommets securing it to the chassis. Like in the title the part I am trying to remove is the small piece of vinyl trim that surrounds the latch striker. To clarify for those who don't know what part I am referring to, it is the square, silver coloured plate that is fastened to the bottom lip of the trunk, and where the hatch locking mechanism hooks onto when you close the hatch. I have removed the 2 screws and grommets that hold it down on the inner part but I am not sure if I just peel back the weather stripping around the bottom portion of the hatch opening and pry it off with a flatbar, or screwdriver, or if I need to remove the bumper cover as well to access anything. My assumption is that it is clipped in like the rest of the interior paneling and door panels but I dont want to break anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Daniel