Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Removing Transmission....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Transmission....

So the problem with my car has been all but determined. It's either throwout bearing OR input shaft bearing. It makes the wierd sound at idle with the clutch out and when I launch in first gear it makes the sound as well. It't not so loud in second but, still, faintly audible. Sounds like a kid running a stick down a wooden fence.

I need to fix it. I can get the parts for pretty cheap but switching the bad parts out for the good is something I've never done. But I don't want to pay 500 for a shop to do it and God knows how much for Honda to do it. So.... any pointers on dropping the trany out? Do you need a lift? or will the good ole jack and jack stands do the trick? How many people are needed to do the job? Any advice is appreaciated. If you choose to give me some general steps to go by I won't complain. I'm a complete dummy right now.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Removing Transmission.... (slo93si)

jack and jack stands can do it, and as long as you have a jack to support the tranny once you pull it from the dowel rods, it will be an easy deal. Basically, you'll just make sure that everything "holding" the transmission in the bay is unhooked from it (clutch slave and stuff), and then you'll have a bunch of bolts are around the housing, mating it to the motor. Loosen them all up uniformly, and then just take them all out after they're ALL loose. The transmission will still be attached and should still be VERY snug up to the motor. Now, there is a dowel rod on both sides of the transmission that its slid onto, and hence the reason that it hasnt fell on you yet. Put a jack under it so that its supported once you slide the transmission off the dowel rods. You'll probably have a time getting it to "un-snug", but once you see it seperating, its ready to slide out and drop down.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing Transmission.... (EH3Civic)

Got any pics of how this dowel rod mechanism works?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing Transmission.... (drumminforev)

Make sure when you take out or reinstall the transmission you do not let it hang on the clutch assembly this might bend the clutch and cause a nasty shudder when engaging the clutch good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Removing Transmission.... (drumminforev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Got any pics of how this dowel rod mechanism works?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not mechinisms, its just dowels, just like a block has dowel pins to locate the head correctly. no need for explanation.