Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 EX Cruise Control Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 EX Cruise Control Sticking

I've had a cruise control issue with my car since i got it in 2005. It seems to be worse in the winter and non-existent in the summer.

My Car: 1999 EX Coupe Manual Tranny

First problem: When I set my cruise and it takes the pedal away I will get anywhere between 3-7 mph more than what I initially set the cruise at. This gets worse because you can never get it to cruise at the speed in which you want. If the car encounters a hill it will naturally accelerate but will not go back down on the throttle afterward and you will be going even faster

Second Problem: When you turn off the cruise via the dash switch it will continue to cruise for ~5 seconds, If you press coast it stays on accel, If you tap the brakes it stays on accel, if you tap on clutch it stays on accel. Solution to this is me placing my foot behind the accelerator and pulling back on the pedal which disengages the acceleration and all is normal again.

This whole issue causes me to basically not use my cruise. I used to work at a Honda dealership and I had a tech spend about a hour messing with my whole system trying to figure it out before I knew about the pedal solution. All vacuum lines were checked and were in working order.

I'm wondering what causes the car to take the pedal away from you in cruise and I believe whatever that is, is what is causing it to stick. It seems like that part of the system is possibly gunked up and holding on to the pedal longer than it should and not moving correctly. I have no idea how the whole system works but this seems to be the source of the problem as me manually pulling back on the pedal causes the cruise sticking to disengage.

Does anyone have any experience with this and a possible solution?

Thanks